The worst of all scenarios

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I think I would handle a losing season better than another McCarthy 12 win season and being one and done in the playoffs. At least I would enjoy picking higher in the draft.
Each year, this particular question resurfaces, is barely re-worded, and always contains a misplaced assumption, which is: "I, <insert member's name>, would pick <hypothetical position/college player> if the team has a losing season this year." It is a misplaced assumption for several reasons:
  • A losing season is any finish below .500, from 8-9 to 0-17
  • An undetermined number of other NFL teams finish with sub-.500 records each season
  • The team's final specific losing season depends upon various unpredictable factors, such as injuries to key players, etc.
  • How the member's desired losing season for the team shall (not possibly but will) materialize into a particular drafted player and most importantly
  • Totally ignoring and dismissing Jerry Jones' complete autonomy in making the actual pick in any draft following any losing season
Yeah. "I am just making conversation." No. That is rarely the reason behind this annual question. In reality, it is any member honestly believing their desire will be realized if their wanted outcome for the team came true.

I will not tell anyone how their dream wlll unfold. Neither do I have a crystal ball nor a time machine. What I do have is Jerry Jones' actual track record in making the final decision in every draft during the post-Jimmy Johnson era. Here are all the first picks per draft made by Jones in that timeframe, sorted by least-to-most wins per previous sub .500 regular season record:

DraftPrevious
YearNo.RoundPickPlayerNamePositionCollegeSeasonWL
2016​
1​
1​
4​
4​
Ezekiel ElliottRBOhio State
2015​
4​
12​
2001​
1​
2​
22​
53​
Quincy CarterQBGeorgia
2000​
5​
11​
2002​
1​
1​
8​
8​
Roy WilliamsDBOklahoma
2001​
5​
11​
2003​
1​
1​
5​
5​
Terence NewmanDBKansas State
2002​
5​
11​
1998​
1​
1​
8​
8​
Greg EllisDENorth Carolina
1997​
6​
10​
2005​
1​
1​
11​
11​
Demarcus WareDETroy
2004​
6​
10​
2011​
1​
1​
9​
9​
Tyron SmithTUSC
2010​
6​
10​
2021​
1​
1​
12​
12​
Micah ParsonsLBPenn State
2020​
6​
10​

Every year, some folks are extremely confident their hoped for losing season will make Jerry Jones pick the player or position they want. Me? I have never trusted Jones to decide on the 'right player'. I always wait-and-see who he actually picks, regardless of how the team finishes every year.

And before any member looks at the list above and asks a question like 'What about Jerry picking <insert player(s) names>?", understand that question will be automatically followed by my questions, "What about them? How did Jones picking them translate into the DALLAS COWBOYS winning a Super Bowl?"

kskboys

Reaction score
I would rather be really good as in a legit shot at the SB or really bad where I can draft difference making players.
The worst spot to be, is just good enough to be relevant, because you are going to be one and done, with bad draft positions.
Oh, that sounds familiar!
Sounds like we are in the NFL's purgatory.
Well said.

We're not in super bowl contention. Need better DTs for that. Hopefully Zimmer will fix.

The backups at DT on the super bowl participants would be standouts on our team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Worst scenerio is already unfolding. CD is going to sit out until he gets a contract. We have what could be the worst running back room in the league and Dak is going to come down with a slew of nagging injuries to limit his exposure to injury risk before he gets his new deal. Basically nobody is happy right now and it’s going to show up on the field in September.
Unless something changes drastically in these short weeks before the season, that sure as hades looks like what will happen.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I think I would handle a losing season better than another McCarthy 12 win season and being one and done in the playoffs. At least I would enjoy picking higher in the draft.

Yes I know...it's sick!!! Not a true fan, right? But at least I can admit it. So should you!!!

Tell me you would rather have another McCarthy 12 win season and nothing to show for it. I dare you!
It's means you're a NFL fan.
Even Jerry's seen the light

Creeper

Reaction score

Yes I know...it's sick!!! Not a true fan, right? But at least I can admit it. So should you!!!

Tell me you would rather have another McCarthy 12 win season and nothing to show for it. I dare you!
I think it is best that we expect a bad season this year. I think we will get one anyway based on the off-season, but I am done being optimistic and being disappointed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

It matters zero.
The team did not choose that route.

Wish-casting is pointless.

We are all amazed they chose this middle path of not getting better, stalling on contract deals while also not making any moves to add future assets and play to the future.
But now that we are in purgatory, the worst possible scenario is actually that they go 9-8.
Draft around pick 20 and miss playoffs altogether.
Thats exactly what I wish on Philly every year.

Lose Dak, McCarthy for nothing and have Jerry rams together another stop-gap coaching staff he hand selects to oversee "finding a QB".

When Jerry held this exercise post Aikman we all saw the results and lived it.
5-11 THREE straight times. It was the absolute worst stretch in the team's post expansion history.
That is worst case scenario.

Flamma

Reaction score

LOL, a McCarthy 12 win season. Is that defined by having a lot of wins while not being true contenders? It's really no different to me than having a bad record. We know how it ends.

But if we're a true contender and still lose, no matter at what point in the playoffs, it hurts a lot more. But it's more exciting since you believe you can get there.