The worst thing about the release of Taco

Kaiser

Reaction score
Maybe for every sack Carpenter should have mimed a sawing motion, or hammering in a nail. Of course, like with Taco building a taco, we wouldn't have had to see it much.

North Dakota State has a native american player named Eagle Claw Dog Fornicating. Scouts project him to go in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Or maybe not.

timb2

Reaction score
Taco had played well in the Preseason and probably lost it when Tyronne Crawford got the RDE spot. The Cowboys should have worked it out...... The problem in the lockeroom is politics. Crawford is not a RDE. He needs to be a DT.Crawford is most likely cut,now he has a job with Quinn and Charlton being cut... Charlton has been a clean kid. Now we have Rovbert Quinn who I am sure will pull some Social Justice stuff sometime during the season or in the playoffs. Randy Gregory who is more worried about his bong than playing football...... Dorance Armstrong who looks like a LDE not a RDE......Hopes are for Joe Jackson to step up now...... The only reason Jason Witten is here is to pad his stats and spy for the coaches. Lucas or McElroy should have made the team instead.........

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Like Vander Esch, Byron, Zeke, Frederick, Martin and Tyron Smith?

They had a big strikeout with Taco, but let's not act as if that has been the norm.

Taco and Hill are showing some similarities that do not look good. Yes the others looks good but all it takes is a couple. In banking as I am, a manager once told me when getting started, you can do 1000 good loans but that 1 loan you should not have done could cost you dearly and no one will give a d-- about the 1000 you did right.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Taco and Hill are showing some similarities that do not look good. Yes the others looks good but all it takes is a couple. In banking as I am, a manager once told me when getting started, you can do 1000 good loans but that 1 loan you should not have done could cost you dearly and no one will give a d-- about the 1000 you did right.

The post I responded to acted as if failed #1 picks was a habitual thing. That's what I responded to. If he had said the team overall has drafted very well, but missing on Taco hurts, I would have responded differently, or wouldn't have responded at all.

As for the analogy to your line of work, of course not every industry is the same, and there are gains and losses in all of them. The key, as always, is how the business responds. Clearly not every business automatically struggles to survive every time they miss the mark on something.

As for the NFL, history does not bear out the idea that a failed draft pick is automatically a devastating blow. Part of that is because the draft is not an exact science for any team. Not even for the Patriots, who have had their share of bad picks. There simply is no way to bat 1.000. In the end, a bad draft pick hurts because it represents a missed opportunity to improve, but if a team is having more success drafting than its peers it is a successful drafting team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The post I responded to acted as if failed #1 picks was a habitual thing. That's what I responded to. If he had said the team overall has drafted very well, but missing on Taco hurts, I would have responded differently, or wouldn't have responded at all.

As for the analogy to your line of work, of course not every industry is the same, and there are gains and losses in all of them. The key, as always, is how the business responds. Clearly not every business automatically struggles to survive every time they miss the mark on something.

As for the NFL, history does not bear out the idea that a failed draft pick is automatically a devastating blow. Part of that is because the draft is not an exact science for any team. Not even for the Patriots, who have had their share of bad picks. There simply is no way to bat 1.000. In the end, a bad draft pick hurts because it represents a missed opportunity to improve, but if a team is having more success drafting than its peers it is a successful drafting team.

Does not have to happy each year but within a couple of years of each other is still way to much to miss in the first 2 rounds. Can see 4 thru 7 but you are counting on the first 2 rounds these guys needs to make some kind of contribution. But no it doesn't have to be each year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does not have to happy each year but within a couple of years of each other is still way to much to miss in the first 2 rounds. Can see 4 thru 7 but you are counting on the first 2 rounds these guys needs to make some kind of contribution. But no it doesn't have to be each year.
This is fair. If Hill doesn't work out it will be a bit of a hit because even though he was a 2nd round pick, he was still the highest pick we had in the 2019 draft. Of course, we used our 1st pick to get Cooper, so assuming we get him extended that will have been a good use of a 1st round pick, but the downside is the team doesn't get the kind of favorable contract that normally goes with a 1st round pick.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Lack of talent + crappy attitude = one way ticket off the roster. That goes for any player in any team for any sport.

Look at Antonio Brown there’s a reason why NE was willing to take a chance on him.

Hardline

Reaction score
Where do you put Watt on our defense? We don’t run a 3-4 anymore. Does he have the same impact as a 4-3 OLB?
You always draft the better player.
Worry about scheme fit later.
Thats what training camp is for

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
He was acting like a man-child. He's not the first football player to do that. It is frustrating when someone who should be a professional acts like that. It happens way too often in the league.

They act exactly their age. In no industry other than sports do we give compensation and perks like a person was a 55 year old veteran executive.

All the players are man children, and most could not juggle their personal finances in light of the ridiculous amount of temptation out there.

As a hypothetical social experiment just walk by a random group of 22-23 year olds you see on the street. Observe their behaviour, and then walk over and hand them $700k in cash. What would you expect in terms of how they behave?

If you do that year after year while they are in the early to mid 20s what do you think settles into their mind? Entitlement maybe?...

Verdict

Reaction score
If Taco was such a great asset that we just didn’t know how to use/control why weren’t teams lined up to trade for him? Hmmm. So many things to ponder.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, the worst think is they could have just drafted TJ Watt who everyone in the world with half a brain knew was and would be a better football player than Taco. With less overthinking and a little common sense and flexibility, we could be sitting here today with the same exact defense we have with TJ Watt and Thornhill added to it. Makes me sick to think about it and it’s not like those guys have come out of nowhere and no one knew they would be good. Both were consensus no brainer picks that Dallas simply passed on.
Yeah and Paxton Lynch and Connor Cook were also better consensus picks....as was Johnny Manziel. Only two people on this site wanted LVE.........so yeah I’m sure it makes you sick they aren’t batting 100 percent but they took some risky and ballsy moves that I’m sure you hated at the time.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It appears that the only reason for his release is because grown men can't get along and there was some drama between Marinelli and him. Probably between him and some players as well.

The thing is Taco seemed to have progressed based on his preseason performance and could contribute this season.

That's what makes this situation look so bad.

First off Coaches have the right to have players not talk back to them. Second, the coaches are aware that most of that progression that Carlton showed during the preseason was against 2nd teamers so that was weighed on that. He has ever come close to playing up to the 1st round pick he was during the any season playing against starters.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When I see people say this I immediately know that they do not understand modern football.

I will post this one last time so people can understand once and for all that a 3-4 ROLB and a 4-3 RDE are the same player. So much so that most teams now refer to it as "Edge" for either scheme when looking at players in the draft or free agency.

DeMarcus Ware
2004 season - RDE at Troy University
2005 through 2012 - ROLB for the Dallas Cowboys (Bill Parcells, Rob Ryan, Wade Phillips all run a 3-4 scheme)
2013 season - RDE for the Dallas Cowboys (Monte Kiffin runs a 4-3 scheme)
2014 season - RDE for the Denver Broncos (Jack Del Rio runs a 4-3 scheme)
2015 through 2016 - ROLB for the Denver Broncos (Wade Phillips runs a 3-4 scheme)

There are numerous other examples.

They're not the same player, but they're not that far off either. Watt is 6-4, 33 inch arms, 252 at the combine. I see no reason to believe that he couldn't be playing in his 260s instead of his 250s. Armstrong 6-4 255, Quinn 6-4 257.

Relentless on the field. Not much explosion or bend. Reminiscient of what people said about his big brother. If you're looking for the physical prototype, he's not it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dallas let everyone know that Taco was on his way out, which happens a lot, so teams saved their pick and decided to pick him up after being cut.

But only one team was going to get him. That no team was willing to make sure it was them for the price of a late round pick tells you a lot about Taco's perceived value around the league.