Video: TheHerd: Dak and the Dallas Cowboys have taken a step back

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We have lost more than we have gained, and are not as talented as we were last year.
Think we have definitely regressed.
I know Free Agency is not over, but how many impact players are left?
The front office has not shown any ability to secure other teams players as well.
We have late draft position, hard to imagine an impact player being available at 24 ?
Down about the season at this point.
How would you correct this situation?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree with the speculation. It’s going to be difficult to replace the talent Cooper and Gregory brought to the table.

The good thing is we don’t have to replace their talent, we just have to replace their production. That’s a more realistic task.

The sad part is we’ll have spent an off-season trying to get back to square one when we weren’t good enough to begin with.
Have to nail this draft and be very selective, meaning that I dont want to just patch holes across the roster, I dont believe this team can correct everything this season.
Give Quinn everything he needs in this draft as a primary objective, and try and build around a very talented young ascending defense.
Get the defense set for the next few years and some pieces will start falling into place for this entire team.
Im all in on Quinn.

Flamma

Reaction score
Gotta love Dallas fans. You get a sh*tty product every year. And your response is "I am glad the owner saved money".

What else is there? The guys we lost probably won't be missed. We got like 2 impact players on defense and maybe one on the offensive line. We're not winning a super bowl this year.

morasp

Reaction score
Seattle was getting blasted for how little they got for Wilson and how much they gave up for that safety.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I don't like Cowherd but I do agree with him on this. The Cowboys offseason has been awful. They traded their best receiver for a 5th round pick. They cut their starting RT for nothing - a $10 million CAP save they don't see until June. There is no doubt Dallas wanted these two players gone. But getting rid of them without a backup plan was just dumb. They could have kept Gregory had they just made him a higher priority instead of waiting to re-sign him. But again, what was the backup plan? Instead of going after one of the top DEs available, they pursued all the guys who were average performers. Don't believe the nonsense about they had interest in Miller, or Danielle Hunter, or even JPP. All of these guys were/are going to get more than $6 million a year and that priced them out of Dallas. The Joneses are dumb when it comes to building a team but I think they are smart enough to have figured out Miller would cost more than $6 million a year.

I have said it before and I will say it again. The Cowboys were not forced to trade Amari Cooper or La'el Collins. They could have kept both of them if they wanted to. Cooper's contract only included a $2 million pro-rated bonus per year. His contract was made to be restructured to save CAP space. But Jerry blamed Cooper for the Cowboys not winning a playoff game. This is not only misplaced blame, but it also devalued Cooper in a trade. Then Jerry announced the Cowboys would cut Cooper if they could not work out a trade. They devalued him again. They did the same thing with Collins announcing he would be cut. What Jerry should have said is "I want a 2nd round pick for Amari Cooper or we will keep him". If no one steps up then just keep him. The same with Collins. Since Collins does not bring a CAP save until June anyway then wait to trade him - or keep him, which would not be the worst problem for Dallas. And btw, Steele is a big question mark for 2022. We are wishful thinking if we think Steele is ready to block Nick Bosa or even Brandon Graham.

The Joneses build a team the way novice chess players play chess. They move pieces just to make am move but they do not protect their other pieces and their strategy is never more than one move ahead.
Well said, jerry I think got mad at lael, and cooper, so thats why they are gone, with nothing but a 5th to show for it. It was emotional , not logical decision.

and for those of you say wait there is still the draft !
Well our picks are low in each round, so not a lot to choose from.
hard to get impact players late in rounds.
Last year we picked at 10 not 24 and really all we got was parsons, the rest had no impact yet.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
cowboys are in a weak div, but new HC in Nyg, and they all pick higher than dallas, and phil has 2 1sts?
So possible phil could give dallas some competition. I dont know about giants or wash or what they have done.

But dallas could still win div and or get in playoffs in 22. In fact I think they will get in playoffs, just dont expect much after that.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Waaaaah!!! The sky is falling! The Cowboys regressed!!!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Draft:
@ 1st round: either WR Jameson Williams or Edge rusher Sam Williams at #24.

@ 2nd round: use #56th and #155th (from Cleveland trade of Amari Cooper) to trade up with either Jets (#38th), Bears (#39th) or Seahawks (#40th) to early 2nd round to draft LB Brandon Smith.

@ 3rd round: G Marquis Hayes at #88.

@ 4th round: DT/NT John Ridgeway at #129.

Problems solved.

CWR

Reaction score

I'd start with signing Wagner, and allowing Parsons greater flexibility to play in multiple spots. Then, I'd begin building up the oline and draft a mid round RB to compliment TP and Zeke, and hopefully take over next year. I'd love to keep TP but we don't know what he will cost or how he would handle a consistently larger work load. I'd also be looking for another DE, LB and DT help.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
We’ll never make the playoffs after losing Zuerline. Impossible to replace Greg the Leg!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
"Dak & Dallas have step back" - Colin "on-fire" Cowboys sent Amari Cooper to Browns | THE HERD

Well duh. Sometimes you need to take a step back to regroup. We were never going to improve when we start the season $21m in CAP deficit and with only $8m left in 2023.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Well said, jerry I think got mad at lael, and cooper, so thats why they are gone, with nothing but a 5th to show for it. It was emotional , not logical decision.

and for those of you say wait there is still the draft !
Well our picks are low in each round, so not a lot to choose from.
hard to get impact players late in rounds.
Last year we picked at 10 not 24 and really all we got was parsons, the rest had no impact yet.

We need to add some context to that....We were $21m in CAP deficit, now which GM is going to give anything for Coop, they knew he was going to be a CAP casualty.

This is what happens when we dont accept that the CAP is a problem. Teams like Green Bay and Chiefs are taking the hard decisions (at WR) rather than kicking the can and leaving it too late.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Don't know the cap situation in detail, but I would have taken the money offered to Randy and signed one of the quality DE's that were on the market at the time.
I would also sign an OG so we can take the BPA in the draft.

BigD_95

Reaction score
A team with the best talent does not always win the Super Bowl. In fact it’s usually just the opposite. It’s about great coaching putting your players in position for the best skill set. We haven’t had that since Jimmie Johnson. Tom Landry. In my personal opinion until ownership realizes someone’s out there smarter than them this is what we’re going to be.

having the better talent made Cowboys competitive - MM & Moore are awful coaches and should have been fired.

so now we have less talent and worse coaches - I cant wait for the season to start :eek:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We have lost more than we have gained, and are not as talented as we were last year.
Think we have definitely regressed.
I know Free Agency is not over, but how many impact players are left?
The front office has not shown any ability to secure other teams players as well.
We have late draft position, hard to imagine an impact player being available at 24 ?
Down about the season at this point.
This is garbage. Easy to nitpick before the draft. This team is in much better position with the cap going forward. It was poorly constructed with some overpaid players at positions we didn’t need.

by the time the draft is over this team will be better, more talented, in the right places and younger.

Some of the young talent we drafted over the last 2 years are growing into stars and team leaders.

but cry about it all you want.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do fans want to listen to a CowTurd. Believing what he spews. A worthless smelling paddy. Just lying around in a field, collecting flies. I guess some fans are like flies. :lmao2:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Dak & Dallas have step back" - Colin "on-fire" Cowboys sent Amari Cooper to Browns | THE HERD

While I'm well aware of Cowherd's propensity for exaggeration and 'stirring the pot', the man's not wrong. The teams he mentioned are going for it and trying to make a push to the Super Bowl, while once again, the Joneses do their best to 'maintain the status quo' and always feel that they can win a Championship just by keeping their core together. And as the saying goes, 'the proof is in the pudding'. The Cowboys have tried to do it this way for what? a decade now? They tried their best to keep their core together going back to the Romo/Dez/Witten era and they have nothing to show for it. Millions in salaries, years of careers, and years of fans' lives wasted in what has amounted to spinning their wheels. Always 'in the middle' and never committing to either a concentrated push of resources towards a championship, or a sell-off, trade-off of aging talent to fully commit to a rebuild.

It feels like a perpetual status quo where the team is just competitive enough to keep fans interested and believing so that the team can stay relevant and profitable. Jerry likes to say that he would 'do anything' for a championship, but the actions show otherwise.

kskboys

Reaction score
cowboys are in a weak div, but new HC in Nyg, and they all pick higher than dallas, and phil has 2 1sts?
So possible phil could give dallas some competition. I dont know about giants or wash or what they have done.

But dallas could still win div and or get in playoffs in 22. In fact I think they will get in playoffs, just dont expect much after that.
Phil has 3 firsts.