News: There is a reason Dak Prescott might be in a ‘slump’ and it’s not his calf injury

Cydios

Reaction score
Dak is playing the worst he's ever played with the most weapons he's ever had.

He's being exposed and it's no coincidence that this started after that Broncos embarrassment. They saw something. Dak knew they saw something. That's why he said "I hope teams play us like that every game". They were doing something specific and Dak knew that. The problem is Dak doesn't seem good enough to overcome that, because teams that can, have been playing them like that and he looks completely horrible. The hubris is real with Dak and his arrogance back fired.

We just have to hope that Kellen Moore can work some magic and get the best out of what he's got. Because, although the defense is improved, it's not going to carry us through 4 playoff games.
If that's the case, to quote a baseball movie paid 160 million for a player "that has a hole in his swing"

Cydios

Reaction score
I don't know XO all that well, so I can't even try to speculate as to why....or if there's even anything to it...but since Denver, our receivers seem to be blanketed by the DBs.

Didn't seem to be the case earlier on in the season.

You could say that the sacks they do get are coverage sacks. It goes back to the lack of the run game. Speed = Pollard.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I still think there's a physical limitation, you can tell when he tries to run.
Definitely.

It could be as simple as worrying about getting hurt being on his mind. Tough to play that way.

Can't say he is this bad because his calf hurts. That's a reach

CWR

Reaction score
Fewer blitzes but in his last 4 games he has been sacked 11 times which means he is either not getting rid of the football quick enough, or the OL is failing to block the 4 guys in front of him. Against Washington, the Cowboys faced Washington's 4th, 5th, and 6th DEs. Yet Tyron and La'el struggled. Dak was sacked 4 times.

At the same time, with 7 guys in coverage Dak is having difficulty finding the open receivers. When he does, he throws often late or inaccurately. The pick 6 is a good example of this. Schultz was wide open, but Dak threw it late and short.

He is off synch. The things that were there early are gone now. KM needs to adjust. The run game faltering is exacerbating the problem. If Dak can run the ball it will help tremendously. We aren't taking advantage of the defenses vulnerabilities right now.

This is where coaching is supposed to make adjustments and counter. Instead we are banging our heads into the wall.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Sound like an o line problem they are stoping the run without blitzing leaving the team in longer yardage situations to ge the first down. If Dallas can figure out a way to get back to running the ball in the next few weeks than the offense should get some of its pop back.

Cydios

Reaction score
Sound like an o line problem they are stoping the run without blitzing leaving the team in longer yardage situations to ge the first down. If Dallas can figure out a way to get back to running the ball in the next few weeks than the offense should get some of its pop back.
100%

HanD

Reaction score
I think Moore had a formula that work and now Defenses have countered the formula. Kid genius has to change it up. The offense I think needs to move faster. Don't let the defenses set.

this is what coaches are paid to do. if kellen wants to be seen as the next hot coach, you're right it's time to adjust. you came up with a great scheme early on, defenses finally figured it out and now you need to figure out something new to keep them off balance.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What I see is Dak looking for the big play down field and holding on as he is waiting for WR to come open, when they don't he checks back down but by that time the defenders are on top of the check downs and limit it to the catch no yards afterwards. What I would like to see are more quick hitters in the passing game and take a page out of the WCO where your short quick passes are an extension of the run game. Right now we seem to be big play or nothing, this offense needs to get back to taking what the defense is giving and move the chains and allow the big plays to come off of the more conservative passing game. Much like KC and Mahomes had to do as early in the season he was looking for the big play down the field and only when they got back to quick hitters allowing his playmakers to take shorter passes and allow them to make plays in space, that is when KC offense started to back to life.

J-man

Reaction score
I don't know a better term for it so I hope you get my meaning when I say Dak has the "yips" when he's in the pocket and has had them ever since his calf injury. He's afraid. Not of being hurt, no he's a tough guy. But he's afraid of being injured and not being able to play. That fear is holding him back and making him uncomfortable in the pocket. He isn't waiting long enough for his reads to progress and it's costing him/us easy pass plays. Not having a very good line in front of him isn't helping at all. He can't rely on the run game and he isn't getting that extra 2 seconds he feels he needs to stand in there and make the throw.

LittleD

Reaction score
What I see is Dak looking for the big play down field and holding on as he is waiting for WR to come open, when they don't he checks back down but by that time the defenders are on top of the check downs and limit it to the catch no yards afterwards. What I would like to see are more quick hitters in the passing game and take a page out of the WCO where your short quick passes are an extension of the run game. Right now we seem to be big play or nothing, this offense needs to get back to taking what the defense is giving and move the chains and allow the big plays to come off of the more conservative passing game. Much like KC and Mahomes had to do as early in the season he was looking for the big play down the field and only when they got back to quick hitters allowing his playmakers to take shorter passes and allow them to make plays in space, that is when KC offense started to back to life.

Dak is most unlike Rogers and Brady... He has to throw to an open WR and can't throw a WR open. Just the facts

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Right! If anything the stats are showing that it's not Dak, but the play calling.

I will disagree to an extent as blame also falls on Dak as a knock on him was his inability to quickly read the field for second and third options. With defenses not blitzing as much Dak has to check down from his primary read and is simply making bad decisions and poor throws as a result. Add in to that the pressure and Dak is developing happy feet by rushing his passes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hey Doomsday...You obviously aren't looking at the same game replays I am. But I will say and laughing is better than crying.

What is the term throwing an guy open? Putting the ball were only WR has a chance at the reception it the technical term of throwing a guy open and yes Dak can do that. I think more times than not people find a catch phase and throw it around without a clue.

Hadenough

Reaction score
At this point we're all guessing what's wrong. Here's the statistics on what defenses are cloning. I think Moore needs to inject more plays to counter this. This puts extra bodies into midfield. The Oline is not opening gaps for the run game. We should be pushing the DEs and LBs backwards. This is also why Pollard was effective. It's the outside lanes that are open.

There is a reason Dak Prescott might be in a ‘slump’ and it’s not his calf injury (msn.com)

"....Prescott has a reputation for beating the blitz, and through the first part of the season most teams were blitzing the Cowboys at a high rate.

That all stopped when the Cowboys played the Broncos. There was probably more to that blueprint thing people were claiming than we gave credit to at the time."

AAROHof.img
This makes sense. Teams are realizing Daks going to have to be accurate with more players dropping back into coverage. But this is what many people have been saying.

austin88

Reaction score
This is a good article; thanks for posting. I agree that Dak has been more effective recently when the offense is playing fast/hurry-up. It seemed really noticeable in the Raiders and Saints games.