News: There is a reason Dak Prescott might be in a ‘slump’ and it’s not his calf injury

CWR

Reaction score
this is what coaches are paid to do. if kellen wants to be seen as the next hot coach, you're right it's time to adjust. you came up with a great scheme early on, defenses finally figured it out and now you need to figure out something new to keep them off balance.

It's a little troublesome that he hasn't already done so.

austin88

Reaction score
What I see is Dak looking for the big play down field and holding on as he is waiting for WR to come open, when they don't he checks back down but by that time the defenders are on top of the check downs and limit it to the catch no yards afterwards. What I would like to see are more quick hitters in the passing game and take a page out of the WCO where your short quick passes are an extension of the run game. Right now we seem to be big play or nothing, this offense needs to get back to taking what the defense is giving and move the chains and allow the big plays to come off of the more conservative passing game. Much like KC and Mahomes had to do as early in the season he was looking for the big play down the field and only when they got back to quick hitters allowing his playmakers to take shorter passes and allow them to make plays in space, that is when KC offense started to back to life.

Given McCarthy's comment in the post-game press conference about needing to get the "controlled passing game" going, I think he agrees with you.

LittleD

Reaction score
What is the term throwing an guy open? Putting the ball were only WR has a chance at the reception it the technical term of throwing a guy open and yes Dak can do that. I think more times than not people find a catch phase and throw it around without a clue.

Okay...just for grins. Look where Rogers places the ball on his slants and outs and where Dak places his balls. No comparison my friend.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just asked you a question...you're tired of Dak threads but you keep entering them to tell us how tired you are of them? Seems counterproductive no?
nope VOR is needed and maybe some poster will get the point if you come in and bomb their threads:angry:..

LittleD

Reaction score
A old, outdated and lazy untruth lol.

I'm retired and have time to study replay games... It's not outdated or lazy. Brady & Romo also threw guys open. Dak, not so much except on seam routes and occasionally on out and ups.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
At the same time, with 7 guys in coverage Dak is having difficulty finding the open receivers. When he does, he throws often late or inaccurately. The pick 6 is a good example of this. Schultz was wide open, but Dak threw it late and short.

What I've noticed (and incorrectly called more blitzing) is a lot of teams are using non-traditional pass-rushing. For example, dropping out linemen into the short zone and bringing defensive backs around the corner. In other words, because they were failing to regularly beat our line with four DL (which led to more blitzing), they decided to confuse our blocking scheme to try to get unblocked rushers. We're doing a poor job of identifying that, stunts, etc., and adjusting to it. Not just with the blocking, but with the routes. As you've mentioned, Dak is having difficulty finding the open receivers, so we need to be doing things to get them open. We need to ID where the rush is coming from and attack that area. And we need to not miss on the throws that are there, because that just encourages the defenses to keep doing what they are doing. In the Denver game, there were multiple opportunities to make plays and change the direction of that game, but either we had a drop or a bad throw. From my recollection, there were at least three opportunities where we might could have produced points, but we made an error that ended our chances. There never would have been a Denver blueprint if we had exploited those opportunities.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Okay...just for grins. Look where Rogers places the ball on his slants and outs and where Dak places his balls. No comparison my friend.
So I actually watch Aaron play....but here's some clips of his "best throws" from Sunday....tell me how many of these are "throwing receivers open"...

Its just a myth guys came up with to knock guys like Lamar, Dak, etc. Wilson, Rodgers, etc. don't throw guys open all game like y'all claim lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm retired and have time to study replay games... It's not outdated or lazy. Brady & Romo also threw guys open. Dak, not so much except on seam routes and occasionally on out and ups.
I'm telling you I just watched Rodgers v Bears and did not throw guys open all game like you claim....its crap....

CWR

Reaction score
What I've noticed (and incorrectly called more blitzing) is a lot of teams are using non-traditional pass-rushing. For example, dropping out linemen into the short zone and bringing defensive backs around the corner. In other words, because they were failing to regularly beat our line with four DL (which led to more blitzing), they decided to confuse our blocking scheme to try to get unblocked rushers. We're doing a poor job of identifying that, stunts, etc., and adjusting to it. Not just with the blocking, but with the routes. As you've mentioned, Dak is having difficulty finding the open receivers, so we need to be doing things to get them open. We need to ID where the rush is coming from and attack that area. And we need to not miss on the throws that are there, because that just encourages the defenses to keep doing what they are doing. In the Denver game, there were multiple opportunities to make plays and change the direction of that game, but either we had a drop or a bad throw. From my recollection, there were at least three opportunities where we might could have produced points, but we made an error that ended our chances. There never would have been a Denver blueprint if we had exploited those opportunities.

We should probably be greatful we are experiencing this now and have time to figure it out, rather than getting caught flat footed in the playoffs.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You didn't read. This is stats. Defenses are not blitzing and putting an extra man behind the nose. This is not a debbie downers. It's an article really on defensive scheme vs Dak.

Seems more like a scheme against the entire offense. They're taking away inside runs and short zones, so something else has to be open. Yet we continue to see inside runs and bubble screens, neither of which are particularly effective.

Kellen Moore was the boy wonder not long ago. McCarthy is an offensive coach. They need to get with their QB and counter that approach. That's their jobs. Smart teams find your weakness and exploit it. It's time they all get smart.