There is no intelligent reason to make Romo play Sunday

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I'm trying to find stats about teams coming off a bye. Maybe you can help?
On my phone now, but there is nothing conclusive either way with regard to resting or playing starters.

If we do play them, then a huge part of the gameplan will be how to protect our key guys. That takes time away from planning for Det or GB, which makes absolutely no sense.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Here is another QB (Brady) who would be playing a meaningless game. What will BB do?

Nirvana

Reaction score
I chimed in about Weeden but I also would like to see Vaughn play a quarter or two. Let Ryan Williams hold the rock also.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Don't need to win to move up in seeding. 9ers and rams win, we get 2 seed. Win lose or draw against wash

So being 11-5 is better than 12-4? When we are tied with 5 other NFC teams at 11-4. Bizarre. Either way, winning is better than losing. For the mindset heading into the playoffs.

In order to get homefield advantage, the Cowboys need to beat Washington, have the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions tie in their meeting and need the Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals to lose.

Even with a loss to the Commanders they can still get a first-round bye ... if thethe Seahawks and Cardinals lose.

Garrett said he wants to keep his team sharp and focused with the playoffs ahead.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4738659/cowboys-plan-to-play-regulars-at-washington

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I wouldn't even put Romo on the plane to Washington, D.C. No point in the fatigue, travel, and tiredness. Let him stay and rest in Dallas for two whole weeks leading up to the wild-card game.

Take Murray to Washington so he can break Emmitt's record, but only play him for a quarter or two.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
So ignore the statistics that teams play better coming off a bye? And the fact that this game is meaningless in terms of seeding?

We can rest our entire team this week like you do during a bye? Explain to me how that works?

Lets see what the best coach in the game thinks...

During the Bill Belichick regime in New England, resting starters has been a non-issue. The almighty hooded one does not do it.

And his teams, perhaps not so coincidentally, rarely lose in the first round of the playoffs.

In 2007, with home-field advantage locked up but a perfect season one win away, Belichick played his starters throughout. The Patriots won the season finale, securing the NFL's first 16-0 record, and ran the table to get to Super Bowl XLI.

Last year, the Ravens were still in contention for the No. 1 seed so the Patriots didn't have the option to rest starters.

"I think that's a conversation that you can have, and the fans can have, but it's not really part of our approach to the game," Belichick told Boston.com. "I don't think it's a good one to have. I don't really understand it either. You're going to pick out one guy that is important and say somebody else isn't? I don't think that's a good way to manage your football team."

Yeah, i'm going to side with Bill on this.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Do you realize we can only have 53 on roster. But you want to rest 11 offensive players. smh. ok

I certainly wouldn't want to see a starting Offense of

Hills Leary Fred Benardau Hawkins

Beasley Harris Escobar

Randle Clutts

Weeden.

That's just awful

jrumann59

Reaction score

Beasley Harris Escobar

Randle Clutts

Weeden.

That's just awful

If that scares you think about the defense.

wileedog

Reaction score

Beasley Harris Escobar

Randle Clutts

Weeden.

That's just awful

Who cares?

I know I certainly wouldn't want to see Weeden starting in the Wild Card game..

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
Go back to 2007 and see what resting our starters did. You play this game one week at a time. Forget the post season. You need momentum going into the post season. How do you think the Colts are feeling right now after getting spanked? Not very good. Take this game one week at a time.

Its a gamble on Garrett's part but that's what coaching is about. Guys can get hurt any time. They can get hurt in the 1st round. Then what?

not sure how the Cowboys resting had any baring on what happen in 2007. the Cowboys played well in the first half but they gave up a cheap quick touchdown at the end of the 1st half and the momentum carried over to the 2nd half and the Cowboys didn't make the proper adjustments.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
On my phone now, but there is nothing conclusive either way with regard to resting or playing starters.

If we do play them, then a huge part of the gameplan will be how to protect our key guys. That takes time away from planning for Det or GB, which makes absolutely no sense.

I know JG is 3-1 against the spread coming off a bye
Do you realize we can only have 53 on roster. But you want to rest 11 offensive players. smh. ok
So what? We easily have enough players on the roster to rest the starters. The game doesn't matter. Teams play better off a bye.

gmoney112

Reaction score
It's mental.

You play to win every single game. Pretty simple really. You can't worry about your record, or whatever people want to justify taking a lax approach.

You go into every single game aiming to win, there are no "off" weeks. Especially against a division rival that embarrassed you earlier in the season.

To me, it's better to always approach games in that manner, so the entire organization from the coaches down to the players understand that they're going to need to be on top of their game every single week.

Makes sense to me. I can understand why people want to rest everybody, but I can't really justify it. I want to ride into the playoffs after putting an epic smackdown on Washington after what they did to us earlier in the season.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
So being 11-5 is better than 12-4? When we are tied with 5 other NFC teams at 11-4. Bizarre. Either way, winning is better than losing. For the mindset heading into the playoffs.

In order to get homefield advantage, the Cowboys need to beat Washington, have the Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions tie in their meeting and need the Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals to lose.

Even with a loss to the Commanders they can still get a first-round bye ... if thethe Seahawks and Cardinals lose.

Garrett said he wants to keep his team sharp and focused with the playoffs ahead.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4738659/cowboys-plan-to-play-regulars-at-washington

Would be stupid to risk romo in a meaningless game. Teams play better when rested. We will NOT play to win this game. They will not play the starters the entire game.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I know JG is 3-1 against the spread coming off a bye

So what? We easily have enough players on the roster to rest the starters. The game doesn't matter. Teams play better off a bye.

It's not a bye. There's a football game to be played. This point keeps being brought up when it's irrelevant.

What are the stats of playoff teams that rest their best players and lose the last game of the season against teams that win the last game? That'd be a more appropriate statistic.