There is QB controversy

Sydla

Reaction score
I know he's your guy, but you can't see the difference? How about when he climbed the ladder near the goal line and barely got the ball 15 yards down the field? Even if he can make the proper reads, he can't make all the throws.

My favorite throw was the first out. It took 32 minutes to get there and a real CB would have had an easy pick 6.

bodi

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...the-dallas-cowboys-primary-backup-quarterback

Thought he did a really good job,” Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. “Thought he handled himself very well. Poised and composed. There were not many game situations that came up that he didn’t handle well. They did a few different things to him defensively and he recognized them, made some big plays. The touchdown was a big play and he really did a nice job on that play, recognizing the Cover 0 blitz and getting it to the right guy. That’s really what he’s shown us in all the opportunities he’s gotten up to this point. So it was good to see him take that to the game

Rush completed nine of his 18 passes for 87 yards and a touchdown score. Although it was against backups, Rush looked like an NFL quarterback during his limited action in the Cowboys’ opener.

Against the Rams, Rush gave the Cowboys life. After a sluggish performance with Kellen Moore in the game, the Cowboys looked to have a jump in their step with number 7 behind center. The confident undrafted rookie completed nine of his eleven passes — hitting his first eight before his first incompletion — for over 100 yards and a score. He marched the Cowboys down the field and hit freakishly athletic tight end Rico Gathers for six on a beautiful dime from 25-yards out.

I know, I know. It’s just a preseason game against non-starters. But, Cooper Rush just seems to take the offense to a level that Kellen Moore doesn’t. He plays with a noticeable swagger that rubs off on his teammates, and his dimes look a lot prettier than the six-year veteran’s.

bodi

Reaction score
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article166983432.html

Rush, the undrafted rookie quarterback out of Central Michigan, had the most impressive quarterback performance of the night against the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday. He completed 9-of-11 passes for 104 yards with a touchdown and a 136.4 passer rating.

That’s a significant improvement from his Hall of Fame game stat line when he went 9-of-18 passing for 87 yards with at touchdown and an 82.4 passer rating.

“I was really impressed with Cooper,” quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson said. “He was seeing the field extremely well, making good decisions, throwing the ball accurately. He’s had an ability to step his game up into games over what he does in practice, which is a good trait.”

The most impressive throw by Rush happened in the third quarter when he hit tight end Rico Gathers down the left seam for a 25-yard touchdown. That was the only TD on the night for the Cowboys.

“It was fantastic,” Wilson said. “And the best thing about it was his eye discipline. He got the safety to move away from Rico, looked him off, and then made a perfect throw to Rico.”

Rush certainly had a more impressive showing than veterans Kellen Moore and Luke McCown, as each had more incompletions than completions

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Moore is linehans homie. Bet he stays at number #2.

Sometimes it's not what you know or what you can do but who you have the goods on

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
A controversy between Moore and Rush implies Moore beings something to the table.

Moore showed up for this gun fight with a kazoo.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
I watched the Cowboys network broadcast of the game. BEFORE the game the announcers said one of Rush's college teammates said , " he is better in games than he is in practice". Wilson's comments seem to verify that. I have been in Moore's defense on this board, but Rush needs to be on the 53. Even if Moore isn't.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Bigger question is if they will try to sneak him on the practice squad.

They play him too much he might not make it on there and we will be forced to make a decision.
Practice squad, he should be #2. Teams will let you dink and dunk all day. To win after four quarters, you gotta make a few plays downfield.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong...

Rush has all day to throw vs 3rd string guys....

Moore was running for his life the entire game. Big difference. Moore made all the right reads...and didn't turn the ball over. I'll take that all day.:rolleyes:

But hey...feel free to spin this anyway you want.

Wood

Reaction score
not between Dak an Moore

but between Moore and Rush

tonite

Rush 9 for 11 for 104 yards

Moore 8 for 17 for 59 yatds

"Poised and composed. There were not many game situations that came up that he didn't handle well," Garrett said. "They did a few different things to him defensively and he recognized them, made some big plays. The touchdown was a big play and he really did a nice job in that play, recognizing the Cover 0 blitz and getting it to the right guy. That's really what he's shown us in all the opportunities he's gotten up to this point.”

and put Noah Brown on the 53

I agree and I don't know why this is so hard especially for media. It seems every time a QB flashes there is this automatic kick-back of he will still be PS player or he is not ready. blah blah. Dak proved last year some players just get it sooner. In salary cap area that should be embraced. If I am cowboys, I created a battle for 2nd string QB. Make it intense. See who comes out on top. What are they afraid of?

Bigdog

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that Floaty is Kellen Moore in disguised.

T-RO

Reaction score
Guys, Cooper Rush's arm is better but not that much better than Moores. Check out the film.

this is a very valid point, and guess whom scouts, leading up to the draft compared Rush to? None other than Kellen Moore!

I do already like Rush kid better. Cooper has elite anticipation and vision and he seems one step ahead of the defense w/his anticipation.

As far as arm strength...neither Moore or Cooper have much.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
not between Dak an Moore

but between Moore and Rush

tonite

Rush 9 for 11 for 104 yards

Moore 8 for 17 for 59 yatds

"Poised and composed. There were not many game situations that came up that he didn't handle well," Garrett said. "They did a few different things to him defensively and he recognized them, made some big plays. The touchdown was a big play and he really did a nice job in that play, recognizing the Cover 0 blitz and getting it to the right guy. That's really what he's shown us in all the opportunities he's gotten up to this point.”

and put Noah Brown on the 53
I don't want to carry 3 QBs.

Nobody will claim Moore but they probably won't cut him.

Rush looked better but upside seems limited.

The nfl.com draft profile on Rush listed his NFL comparison as Kellen Moore.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
We had to kneel at the end of the first half because Garrett knew he wouldn't even get the ball to the 20 yard line.

I was laughing at the end of the half because of that. That would have been a great situational practice play. Alas, we weren't going to be able to execute it.