They cannot make the Lamb mistake again

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Lamb? No thank you, give me the beef!
Give you the beef? OK you just like Jerry. Both of yall are drunk off power. You been a mod for a full day now and this is the thread you create. Lamb was a mistake? You are the mistake pal. LOL--JK.

You know I love smashing your grapes. Congrats on becoming a Mod.
:yourock:

starfan1

Reaction score
what offensive position of need to we have? TE? WR? RB? OL? perhaps we want a LT to replace Smith...but is that really a big need?

what offensive player would ahve a chance of making this team next year?

OLis definitely a need. Tyron cant be counted on and we don't know how lael will return. That said its not a high need.. prepare yourself sir! with the #10 pick in the draft the Dallas Cowboys select TE Kyle Pitts.

you watch it wont surprise me one bit and probably someone like Farley and Parsons will be sitting there

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
After 1 year? I havent paud attention but he seems like a dawg in college so I think he'll improve next year
Lol a dog in college he was average in college at best. Senior season had 5 sacks and only 1 or 2 were 1 on 1 matchups. He got drafted on measurables and being on a stud college team thats it. The guy isnt a good football player and had 1 sack, 19 tackles with 51% of the snaps. No thx

GMO415

Reaction score
Coach, I think what you meant to say was "We can't make the Jaylon pick again." Stop drafting a bunch of gimps and injury probe players.....ie Snake Lee and LVE.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes, it was a mistake because it was all for flash and splash while bobbing around on the ocean, it was a pick for applause. It was all luxury for a team deep in needs.

The case some make is the value of Lamb at 17. Was he not a value at 16, 15, 14, 13? Why did those GM's pass on him? Because they're GM's with their jobs on the line to improve the team, not take a bow for a draft pick.

Another case is what D player was worth that pick? Chaisson? The answer is any D player that could help the worst D in the league and worst in Cowboys history. He didn't have to be a world beater, just a player they could count on to be 1 of the 11.

1 of 11. How many do they have now? If they'd used that on a D player, might they be closer than they are now? And what if he doesn't work out? Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.

I saw all of the celebrating here when they took Lamb and few asking why was he available? Partly because most GM's were trying to fill needs and partly because they didn't have him at 6th on their board.

He was the Cowboys first pick and led them in drops and was 2nd in the league in drops but his fans here will make excuses for him. And WR is the most plentiful position in the league.

This draft should be the easiest for the Cowboys, if they go D as they should have last year. Their needs are plenty and the only position they don't need with that first pick is DE.

The Lamb pick was a mistake and I had 0 doubt about that then or now. However, my greatest doubt about this team remains the same, they're just not good at talent evaluation and compound that by doubling down on some of their selections because they look at it from an ego standpoint. If it is mine, it must be good.

Who would you have drafted instead of Lamb? Would you have traded the selection for more picks. Drafting Chaisson might have been a huge mistake. He would not have gotten on the field.

starfan1

Reaction score
They chose to put the D behind that and ended up 6-10.

They were already the #2 pass offense in the league in 2019.
I'm not one to disagree with the need for defense but that isn't in my opinion why they finished 6-10. Injuries would be my stance. New scheme new coaches, Letting Byron walk instead of Jaylon or Zeke. All these were bigger problems than selecting lamb over Chiasson. I haven't looked at the numbers but did Chiasson set the world on fire? How did he do in comparison to Gregory or Gregory plus whoever else we had out there

blueblood70

Reaction score
Honestly, who else would you have taken? In looking back at the board, I can't find anyone drafted after Lamb I'd rather have than Lamb.
right im waiting for the alternate pick it wasnt Chiasson we had pretty decent Pass rush once Rg got here etc

so who did we pas son on defense at 17 ? OP may be MOd but the thread was waste IMO.. :)

they were in spot where not taking him was worse choice then reaching for a defender who wasn't near as good..

this year we need so many defenders there has to be one taken round 1-3 IMHO DT, S, CB, and or LB take your pick LOL

Id say in hindsight maybe signing AC was more the mistake had they known lamb would fall to them, maybe ac was luxury..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Here's what funny, not ha ha funny, about what you just said. By your own admission if the Cowboys made a mistake on a defensive player and I'll quote you "Then they'd know and keep going back to the well.". So you say it was wrong to pick one of the top 2 rated receivers in the draft because you wanted defense but if they drafted a defensive player and got that wrong it wouldn't have been a mistake because they can just go to the well the next year and spend another draft pick on another defensive player to make up for the one they made the mistake on. You don't see how contradictory that is?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Okay so we got Lamb. Result? 6-10 season. Defense? Dead last in the league in rushing allowed.

Now was Lamb responsible for the poor defense? Of course not, directly anyway. And would have taken a defensive player instead of Lamb turned this defense into a top-10 defense?
Of course not. And nobody could have foreseen Dak's injury, he'd never missed a game before this year.

It's not just a question of need, or best player available, alone. Both have to be factored in.

Based on results of this year, with the Cowboys (correction here after yesterday) being next to last in defense and 17th in offense (Lamb helped that of course), defense, by 20-20 hindsight, would have maybe been the better choice.

But like draft picks, we'll need to wait for another year or two before we know for sure.

Point is the whole debate about Lamb or defense in this year's draft isn't something we can settle at this time....

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
right im waiting for the alternate pick it wasnt Chiasson we had pretty decent Pass rush once Rg got here etc

so who did we pas son on defense at 17 ? OP may be MOd but the thread was waste IMO.. :)

they were in spot where not taking him was worse choice then reaching for a defender who wasn't near as good..

this year we need so many defenders there has to be one taken round 1-3 IMHO DT, S, CB, and or LB take your pick LOL

Chaisson didn't really do anything this year - doesn't mean he's a bust already, JAX is horrible, but I don't see any world where we should be rueing the pick.

I would take Lamb over Jefferson and that's not an indictment on Jefferson, but Lamb behind a competent line and QB is going to be a Pro Bowl player too.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can mumble off anything you want, but he has already proved all he needs as to why it was a hands down absolute great pick at 17.
You have your opinion, but I have a good feeling it is in the utmost minority of one.
Did I mumble? I thought I typed clearly.

I really don't care where my opinion falls, it is still my opinion and many here are acting as if Lamb was the draft pick of a lifetime. If you watched him play his college ball then you would know he was good at college open and breaking tackles with Big 12 DB's, see many of those broken tackles and that RAC this season?

In the long run, I will take Jeudy, Jefferson and Ruggs over Lamb and those comments about just wait until he's the #1WR, I will bring that back when he is because he's not going to be playing against the Big 12 or have Cooper and Gallup on the team. Lamb was not the opposing D's primary concern this season, that would be Cooper.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Lamb is a great talent for sure. Problem is Dallas has 3 top receivers. Classic Jerry roster construction. Meanwhile they have had JAGS at DT and S for a decade. It shows up every year.

Btw I like Wilson.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This is a tough one. Old school way of thinking says if you can get a bigtime difference maker with all-pro potential you take him, regardless of need.

However, if you take that guy you're going to eventually have to pay him at that all-pro level. The question becomes, is it smart to invest that much into the WR position? Would it be smarter to look for the difference maker at o-line, dt or safety with the idea of solidifying up the middle on either side of the ball?

I love watching this WR group work and Lamb certainly appears to have a very bright future in the league but if you can't run the ball and protect the QB or stop the run and pressure the QB no amount of HOF receivers are going to get you where you want to go.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give you the beef? OK you just like Jerry. Both of yall are drunk off power. You been a mod for a full day now and this is the thread you create. Lamb was a mistake? You are the mistake pal. LOL--JK.

You know I love smashing your grapes. Congrats on becoming a Mod.
:yourock:
Thanks Ozzie, I thought getting that badge would cut me some slack but they're heavy on me, brother, heavy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
OLis definitely a need. Tyron cant be counted on and we don't know how lael will return. That said its not a high need.. prepare yourself sir! with the #10 pick in the draft the Dallas Cowboys select TE Kyle Pitts.

you watch it wont surprise me one bit and probably someone like Farley and Parsons will be sitting there
if we pick Pitts, I will not watch an Cowboys games next year. I will email and send a letter to Jerry as well.....