Things I learned about the Cowboys from Romo

Temo

Reaction score
A lot of these I'm sure we already knew, but it was cool to see it confirmed by him...

1) Garrett is responsible for the Cowboys playing very conservative when backed up in their own 20. (Though it should be noted that we took a shot down field on 3rd and long backed up right after Romo said this)

2) Romo really respects T-Will's run blocking and his ability to run after the catch.

3) Romo feels Dez is one of the absolute best in being able to high point a ball and come down to it, and they practiced it together after practice was over. This is backed up by Dez's ridiculous red zone performance over the years, and the way he declined with Dak... Romo and Dez practiced it together for years.

4) Right after Dez left the game, Romo started talking about how that would impact the run game because the Chiefs could play more man coverage.

5) Romo confirmed that the Cowboys' defensive philosophy is to give up smaller gains and take away the big play.

6) Lawrence was really limited by his back issues last year, as Romo mentioned once. He also said that Tyron has been limited by back issues for 2 years now.

7) He mentioned how the Cowboys love running the WR screen to Beasely when they need to kill time but don't want to run into a stacked front. Then they actually did just that... though they actually ran it with T-Will instead, but the concept was there).

Anything else I missed?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
A lot of these I'm sure we already knew, but it was cool to see it confirmed by him...

1) Garrett is responsible for the Cowboys playing very conservative when backed up in their own 20. (Though it should be noted that we took a shot down field on 3rd and long backed up right after Romo said this)

2) Romo really respects T-Will's run blocking and his ability to run after the catch.

3) Romo feels Dez is one of the absolute best in being able to high point a ball and come down to it, and they practiced it together after practice was over. This is backed up by Dez's ridiculous red zone performance over the years, and the way he declined with Dak... Romo and Dez practiced it together for years.

4) Right after Dez left the game, Romo started talking about how that would impact the run game because the Chiefs could play more man coverage.

5) Romo confirmed that the Cowboys' defensive philosophy is to give up smaller gains and take away the big play.

6) Lawrence was really limited by his back issues last year, as Romo mentioned once. He also said that Tyron has been limited by back issues for 2 years now.

7) He mentioned how the Cowboys love running the WR screen to Beasely when they need to kill time but don't want to run into a stacked front. Then they actually did just that... though they actually ran it with T-Will instead, but the concept was there).

Anything else I missed?

Yep......big one, Sean Lee knows more about the game than most QBs

Good post!!!!!!

CWR

Reaction score
The funny thing about Dak to Dez is they were on fire last year during the preseason. Say what you want but the chemistry was there.

Romo did a great job. He also pointed out Garrett wasnt an Xs and Os coach and was more about culture and organization. Which is kind of weak but also neccessary. It basically means your coordinators need to be damn good.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
We also learned that Dez is very "passionate" when it comes to wanting the ball: I translated that into he get's mad when when he doesn't. I also thought it was interesting that on the PI call against the Chiefs on Dez, he mentioned it was a play designed to go to Beas but it kinda sounded like he was saying Dak made a bad read and we got a little lucky. Overall, I thought he did a really good job yesterday and really did a good job of not revealing to much about the O and how they game plan.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
He also confirmed that JG is not an X's and O's kind of coach; he chooses to influence his team as a leader and motivator.
He's more about creating an environment of winning, looking at the big picture, mental and physical toughness, etc.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
1- At one point he mentioned getting Dez involved early was a good thing because he can start pacing the sideline and getting frustrated (in a positive way) - paraphrasing. Tony seemed to almost bite his tongue before saying anything more.

2- Deion Sanders can't tackle. Yeah, *** you Deion.

3- Sean Lee is one of the most underrated players in the NFL.

CWR

Reaction score
We also learned that Dez is very "passionate" when it comes to wanting the ball: I translated that into he get's mad when when he doesn't. I also thought it was interesting that on the PI call against the Chiefs on Dez, he mentioned it was a play designed to go to Beas but it kinda sounded like he was saying Dak made a bad read and we got a little lucky. Overall, I thought he did a really good job yesterday and really did a good job of not revealing to much about the O and how they game plan.

Lol, you know he had to bite his tongue. He also didnt seem too homer or like he was trying really hard to be non biased, which is what I personally think Aikman does.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The funny thing about Dak to Dez is they were on fire last year during the preseason. Say what you want but the chemistry was there.

Romo did a great job. He also pointed out Garrett wasnt an Xs and Os coach and was more about culture and organization. Which is kind of weak but also neccessary. It basically means your coordinators need to be damn good.

Yep, its what we always knew. Garrett is basically NOT a football guy. He's nothing more than a figurehead/motivator/clappy guy. He's an organizer. Too bad it took Jerry Jones 7 years to figure that out. Garret had no business being in charge of the offense as OC and then no business being a head coach with OC duties. It wasnt until Jerry finally kicked Garrett to the curb and FORCED him to give up the play calling duties that this team began to improve. Too bad he didnt just fire him outright.

pansophy

Reaction score
He also confirmed that JG is not an X's and O's kind of coach; he chooses to influence his team as a leader and motivator.
He's more about creating an environment of winning, looking at the big picture, mental and physical toughness, etc.
Of course they did that intentionally because obviously when he started he was running the offense too. Recall that there was actually words coming out that Garret was no longer allowed to influence the offense on an X and O level.

Reactions: BAT

erod

Reaction score
This really jumped out at me as well during the broadcast and further confirmed my notion that he'd be a great collegiate coach but won't get us very far at the pro level.

LOL

Jimmy Johnson employed EXACTLY the same philosophy. Didn't do any schematics at all. Just built a culture and acquired talent to suit it.

Same for Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, and countless coaches from the past.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yep, its what we always knew. Garrett is basically NOT a football guy. He's nothing more than a figurehead/motivator/clappy guy. He's an organizer. Too bad it took Jerry Jones 7 years to figure that out. Garret had no business being in charge of the offense as OC and then no business being a head coach with OC duties. It wasnt until Jerry finally kicked Garrett to the curb and FORCED him to give up the play calling duties that this team began to improve. Too bad he didnt just fire him outright.

Actually Jimmy was the same as Garrett but his approach was more psychological. If you recall Jimmy's M.O. was getting inside players and coaches head to see what made them tick. Never an X/O guy ............

Tommy

Reaction score
The stuff he said about Garrett just confirmed what we all suspected. Jason doesn't have much to do with the actual football, his job is to motivate players that need motivation.
Romo didnt say Garrett didnt have much to do with actual football and he didnt say anything about players that need motivation.

But dont let anyone stop you. You clowns are going to turn Romo’s comments into anything you want.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually Jimmy was the same as Garrett but his approach was more psychological. If you recall Jimmy's M.O. was getting inside players and coaches head to see what made them tick. Never an X/O guy ............

I think its silly to compare the two. Jimmy did so much more than Garrett from the roster to yes.......pushing buttons and motivation. He was a also great at evaluating talent. Jimmy ran the show. And his in game management was incredible. Jimmy used the media and every facet of his job to get players motivated and playing to the best of their abilities. He was a master mind.

Garrett is a pretender. Trying to be something or someone he is not. Acting like other successful coaches but he cant pull it off. Jimmy was about discipline and command. Garrett is a fanny patting buddy buddy.