Things I learned about the Cowboys from Romo

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yep, its what we always knew. Garrett is basically NOT a football guy. He's nothing more than a figurehead/motivator/clappy guy. He's an organizer. Too bad it took Jerry Jones 7 years to figure that out. Garret had no business being in charge of the offense as OC and then no business being a head coach with OC duties. It wasnt until Jerry finally kicked Garrett to the curb and FORCED him to give up the play calling duties that this team began to improve. Too bad he didnt just fire him outright.
Mr. Negativity raises his ugly self.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think its silly to compare the two. Jimmy did so much more than Garrett from the roster to yes.......pushing buttons and motivation. He was a also great at evaluating talent. Jimmy ran the show. And his in game management was incredible. Jimmy used the media and every facet of his job to get players motivated and playing to the best of their abilities. He was a master mind.

Garrett is a pretender. Trying to be something or someone he is not. Acting like other successful coaches but he cant pull it off. Jimmy was about discipline and command. Garrett is a fanny patting buddy buddy.
Yet he's 63-49 as a head coach. Hmmmmmm

Ken

Reaction score
The funny thing about Dak to Dez is they were on fire last year during the preseason. Say what you want but the chemistry was there.

Romo did a great job. He also pointed out Garrett wasnt an Xs and Os coach and was more about culture and organization. Which is kind of weak but also neccessary. It basically means your coordinators need to be damn good.
Which is a little strange to me that he wouldn't be a bit more involved in the offense. He was an offensive coordinator, so I would have expected him to influence the offense. I know he is big picture during the game, but I was surprised by this the most I think.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Which is a little strange to me that he wouldn't be a bit more involved in the offense. He was an offensive coordinator, so I would have expected him to influence the offense. I know he is big picture during the game, but I was surprised by this the most I think.
I think when Jerry made him stop making the play calls and told him he need to be more of walk around coach as opposed to facet focus coach JG went hands off and I think that has something to do with his trust in Linehan also.

Hailmary

Reaction score
LOL

Jimmy Johnson employed EXACTLY the same philosophy. Didn't do any schematics at all. Just built a culture and acquired talent to suit it.

Same for Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, and countless coaches from the past.
All fair points.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think you guys are trying to turn Romo's words into something they weren't intended. Garrett is the head coach who isn't calling the offense or defense, so, like Jimmy Johnson, his role has nothing to do with being a schematics guy. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand schemes. The guy was successful in the NFL as a QB with limited physical ability and won some huge games when called upon against top competitors; he understands schemes. He started as an offensive coordinator, and he called plays and was successful doing it in Dallas, despite a lack of top talent at times, and he gave it up after Jerry realized that as a young, first time head coach, he was making mistakes managing the game. His play-calling wasn't the issue; his game management decisions were, so he had to step back and get that right.

Now, he may not be a great head coach; he may never get the Cowboys to a SB or NFC championship victory, but it's foolish to suggest he doesn't understand schemes. That's not at all what Romo said. Again, like Jimmy Johnson, that's not his role, so he's not doing it as head coach.

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL

Jimmy Johnson employed EXACTLY the same philosophy. Didn't do any schematics at all. Just built a culture and acquired talent to suit it.

Same for Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, and countless coaches from the past.

Bingo, but that went over all their heads. It's obvious he could be an x/o guy if he wanted too. Considering he had the top rank offenses early as coordinator.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think you guys are trying to turn Romo's words into something they weren't intended. Garrett is the head coach who isn't calling the offense or defense, so, like Jimmy Johnson, his role has nothing to do with being a schematics guy. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand schemes. The guy was successful in the NFL as a QB with limited physical ability and won some huge games when called upon against top competitors; he understands schemes. He started as an offensive coordinator, and he called plays and was successful doing it in Dallas, despite a lack of top talent at times, and he gave it up after Jerry realized that as a young, first time head coach, he was making mistakes managing the game. His play-calling wasn't the issue; his game management decisions were, so he had to step back and get that right.

Now, he may not be a great head coach; he may never get the Cowboys to a SB or NFC championship victory, but it's foolish to suggest he doesn't understand schemes. That's not at all what Romo said. Again, like Jimmy Johnson, that's not his role, so he's not doing it as head coach.

Exactly Chuck

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Yep, its what we always knew. Garrett is basically NOT a football guy.
This is one of the dumber things I've seen posted .... ever. If you want to argue that Garrett isn't a good head coach, I can listen to that argument. Any coach who has never won an NFC championship or SB could have that argument made about him. But it's really stupid to try and say Garrett is not a football guy.

Jason Garrett was employed as a QB for 13 seasons in the NFL. Despite limited physical ability, he was successful as the primary backup. In his 7 years in Dallas, he threw 11 TD's filling in for Troy Aikman and other injured QBs with only 5 INTs, with an 83.2 QBR. He did that because he was a football guy who understood schemes.
Pass attempts: 2940
Pass completions: 1650
Percentage: 56.1
He was hired as the QB coach in Miami by Nick Saban, who clearly thought he was a football guy. In 2007 he was hired by Dallas as offensive coordinator. Maybe you don't remember that he led Dallas to the 2nd best offense in the NFL as the coordinator/playcaller. Jerry made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL, not because he was nuts, but because the Ravens and Falcons made him offers after interviewing for their head coaching jobs. Later, he was also interviewed in Detroit, Denver, and Saint Louis where he was a finalist for the job before Jerry made a move and hired him here.

You can say he's made mistakes; you can say he's not a successful coach; you can even suggest that we will never win with him if that's what you believe. But to say he's not a football guy is totally ridiculous unless you suggest you know better than that many people who actually work in the NFL. He was very successful as our offensive playcaller, and you can't do that without being a football guy.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He mentioned something about the DL slashing to the right to stop the run as opposed to attacking forward...

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
The stuff he said about Garrett just confirmed what we all suspected. Jason doesn't have much to do with the actual football, his job is to motivate players that need motivation.
Several have said that Garrett is not a football guy or does not know football because he delegates to assistants. That is a false dichotomy. You can be both. I remember a coach at Bama named Bear who chose to delegate to his assistance and manage them but let them coach--he did okay.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weird.

They don't react as quickly and play with group speed in that fashion, but as far as just foot speed, that's not correct.

Splitting hairs, but I think he was really trying to say our front is so fast, and sort of messed up the compliment. He also might have been thinking back to last year where we had guys like Church and Carr who were fairly foot-slow out there.

Either way, it was an odd comment to make.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Lol, you know he had to bite his tongue. He also didnt seem too homer or like he was trying really hard to be non biased, which is what I personally think Aikman does.
Aikman works for Fox which covers the NFC, which means way more cowboys games to call. Romo can be more biased and it wouldn't be a big issue for the one game he'll call every year or two

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Aikman works for Fox which covers the NFC, which means way more cowboys games to call. Romo can be more biased and it wouldn't be a big issue for the one game he'll call every year or two

Very well could be true, my observation is based off of one game, thats all we can go off of now. Doesnt mean it wont change, it's just what I heard Sunday.

khiladi

Reaction score

Jerry didn't want it and said it explicitly...

CWR

Reaction score
This is one of the dumber things I've seen posted .... ever. If you want to argue that Garrett isn't a good head coach, I can listen to that argument. Any coach who has never won an NFC championship or SB could have that argument made about him. But it's really stupid to try and say Garrett is not a football guy.

Jason Garrett was employed as a QB for 13 seasons in the NFL. Despite limited physical ability, he was successful as the primary backup. In his 7 years in Dallas, he threw 11 TD's filling in for Troy Aikman and other injured QBs with only 5 INTs, with an 83.2 QBR. He did that because he was a football guy who understood schemes.
Pass attempts: 2940
Pass completions: 1650
Percentage: 56.1
He was hired as the QB coach in Miami by Nick Saban, who clearly thought he was a football guy. In 2007 he was hired by Dallas as offensive coordinator. Maybe you don't remember that he led Dallas to the 2nd best offense in the NFL as the coordinator/playcaller. Jerry made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL, not because he was nuts, but because the Ravens and Falcons made him offers after interviewing for their head coaching jobs. Later, he was also interviewed in Detroit, Denver, and Saint Louis where he was a finalist for the job before Jerry made a move and hired him here.

You can say he's made mistakes; you can say he's not a successful coach; you can even suggest that we will never win with him if that's what you believe. But to say he's not a football guy is totally ridiculous unless you suggest you know better than that many people who actually work in the NFL. He was very successful as our offensive playcaller, and you can't do that without being a football guy.

I would be suprised to find any NFL coach that isnt a "football guy."