Things I learned about the Cowboys from Romo

Tommy

Reaction score
LOL

Jimmy Johnson employed EXACTLY the same philosophy. Didn't do any schematics at all. Just built a culture and acquired talent to suit it.

Same for Pete Carroll, John Harbaugh, Mike Tomlin, etc, and countless coaches from the past.
Get out of here. Nobody wants any facts in this thread.

By the end of this week we will be talking about how Romo “trashed” Garrett on live tv.

JBond

Reaction score
The funny thing about Dak to Dez is they were on fire last year during the preseason. Say what you want but the chemistry was there.

Romo did a great job. He also pointed out Garrett wasnt an Xs and Os coach and was more about culture and organization. Which is kind of weak but also neccessary. It basically means your coordinators need to be damn good.
This was the most interesting comment by Romo regarding the coach. He repeated it to be clear. Garrett wants to motivate. Never said he actuality motivates players. I am fine with the clapper for now, but if we lose either of our real coaches, we will be in big trouble.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Garrett is not a schematics guy but an environmental motivator clap clap clap
its-the-clap.jpg

8FOR!3

Reaction score
A lot of these I'm sure we already knew, but it was cool to see it confirmed by him...

1) Garrett is responsible for the Cowboys playing very conservative when backed up in their own 20. (Though it should be noted that we took a shot down field on 3rd and long backed up right after Romo said this)

2) Romo really respects T-Will's run blocking and his ability to run after the catch.

3) Romo feels Dez is one of the absolute best in being able to high point a ball and come down to it, and they practiced it together after practice was over. This is backed up by Dez's ridiculous red zone performance over the years, and the way he declined with Dak... Romo and Dez practiced it together for years.

4) Right after Dez left the game, Romo started talking about how that would impact the run game because the Chiefs could play more man coverage.

5) Romo confirmed that the Cowboys' defensive philosophy is to give up smaller gains and take away the big play.

6) Lawrence was really limited by his back issues last year, as Romo mentioned once. He also said that Tyron has been limited by back issues for 2 years now.

7) He mentioned how the Cowboys love running the WR screen to Beasely when they need to kill time but don't want to run into a stacked front. Then they actually did just that... though they actually ran it with T-Will instead, but the concept was there).

Anything else I missed?

I think the first point is an interesting philosophy because from the coach's perspective it seems the most vital time to take care of the ball is within your own 20 yard line. As in, a turnover within your own 20 will most likely hurt you the most giving the other team really good field position if not a touchdown. Sometimes you've got to take shots downfield but I think this philosophy at the very least kind of makes sense.

Interesting what he said about T-Will and it really stood out yesterday how good he was after the catch. Unfortunately it seems like he always has one or two of these monster games a year but doesn't do it on a consistent basis. I think he showed us why he's #2 on the depth chart though he's clearly more of a go-to option than Brice Butler.

Are these back issues going to cut Tyron Smith's career short? It'd be unfortunate if it did but it does seem (to me at least but I'm not an expert on offensive line play by any means) that he's not as dominant as he was early on in his career. However, props to him for being so tough and playing through it. Not at all surprised on the praise he was giving DLaw. Seems like he was getting pressure just about every play, Alex Smith was getting rid of that ball nice and quick early and I think Lawrence is the key to not giving up the big plays because he's making you drop back and get the ball out of your hands quickly.

Reactions: BAT

erod

Reaction score
Defensive schemes can't stop backshoulder and I am pretty sure that is what he was referring to. They don't ever run back shoulder in games. I have no clue why!
Dak is HORRIBLE at back shoulder and high point throws. Just terrible. He doesn't throw them. That's not his comfort zone like it was Tony's.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Dak is HORRIBLE at back shoulder and high point throws. Just terrible. He doesn't throw them. That's not his comfort zone like it was Tony's.
Look at the preseason last year. They were on target very well. They did not throw them during the season

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of these I'm sure we already knew, but it was cool to see it confirmed by him...

1) Garrett is responsible for the Cowboys playing very conservative when backed up in their own 20. (Though it should be noted that we took a shot down field on 3rd and long backed up right after Romo said this)

2) Romo really respects T-Will's run blocking and his ability to run after the catch.

3) Romo feels Dez is one of the absolute best in being able to high point a ball and come down to it, and they practiced it together after practice was over. This is backed up by Dez's ridiculous red zone performance over the years, and the way he declined with Dak... Romo and Dez practiced it together for years.

4) Right after Dez left the game, Romo started talking about how that would impact the run game because the Chiefs could play more man coverage.

5) Romo confirmed that the Cowboys' defensive philosophy is to give up smaller gains and take away the big play.

6) Lawrence was really limited by his back issues last year, as Romo mentioned once. He also said that Tyron has been limited by back issues for 2 years now.

7) He mentioned how the Cowboys love running the WR screen to Beasely when they need to kill time but don't want to run into a stacked front. Then they actually did just that... though they actually ran it with T-Will instead, but the concept was there).

Anything else I missed?

He said the Cowboys secondary isn't fast.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Scandrick, Brown, Jones. They all can run.

vlad

Reaction score
Garrett is not a schematics guy but an environmental motivator clap clap clap

I only wish we had confirmation if he's actually capable of being a schematics guy but not as HC his philosophy is to be the environment/culture guy (which I do believe is valuable)

I never viewed him as a great schematics person (from my couch) more that we just have to have better players that out-execute you and overcome any schemes you may throw.

erod

Reaction score
Look at the preseason last year. They were on target very well. They did not throw them during the season

He can throw them any time he wants to. The ball is in his hand. He chooses other targets instead.

vlad

Reaction score
I like that no matter what the topic - I feel like I actually understand the game of football better (slanting to disrupt run blocking design, zone vs man and how that impacts run D, etc).

I'd love to see what he'd do as an o-coordinator.

erod

Reaction score
He said the Cowboys secondary isn't fast.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Scandrick, Brown, Jones. They all can run.
That was an odd comment. I didn't hear him say it obviously, but speed isn't the issue in the secondary.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was an odd comment. I didn't hear him say it obviously, but speed isn't the issue in the secondary.

He was talking about how fast the front seven is. Then added the secondary isn't.

erod

Reaction score
I like that no matter what the topic - I feel like I actually understand the game of football better (slanting to disrupt run blocking design, zone vs man and how that impacts run D, etc).

I'd love to see what he'd do as an o-coordinator.

Never going to happen. Modern-day star players don't go into coaching. If you have $150 million, why would you sign up for 90-hour work weeks?

erod

Reaction score
He was talking about how fast the front seven is. Then added the secondary isn't.

Weird.

They don't react as quickly and play with group speed in that fashion, but as far as just foot speed, that's not correct.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
According to Tony, some coaches want players that come in motivated. JG thinks he can motivated anyone.

According to me, the ability to motivate people is a great quality to have for a head coach but the insistence that one can motivate anyone... not much.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
He also confirmed that JG is not an X's and O's kind of coach; he chooses to influence his team as a leader and motivator.
He's more about creating an environment of winning, looking at the big picture, mental and physical toughness, etc.

So Garrett is basically a male Cheerleader.. Minus the Beasley spirit fingers..

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Weird.

They don't react as quickly and play with group speed in that fashion, but as far as just foot speed, that's not correct.

IMO, that is what he was saying. They don't play fast. I don't think anyone is really concerned about their 40 time.. but it's how you play, how you react to whats happening around you and how quick you can respond to what you see. The front 7,with Lee, is really good at doing that, they play fast. The back end, not so much.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Romo didnt say Garrett didnt have much to do with actual football and he didnt say anything about players that need motivation.

But dont let anyone stop you. You clowns are going to turn Romo’s comments into anything you want.

lol.

This guy's got all the answers.

Reactions: BAT