Things I learned about the Cowboys from Romo

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The funny thing about Dak to Dez is they were on fire last year during the preseason. Say what you want but the chemistry was there.
Teams don't run defensive schemes in preseason.
It wasn't just preseason. In 2016, Dak's passer rating on Dez's targets was slightly better than it was on everyone else's targets.

to Bryant
55% 928 yds 10 td 2 int 106.5
to others
72% 3041 yds 16 td 3 int 105.8

This year, it's more than 30 points worse than everyone else's.

to Bryant
51% 439 yds 4 td 2 int 75.4
to others
69% 1363 yds 12 td 2 int 107.7

yimyammer

Reaction score
Later, he was also interviewed in Detroit, Denver, and Saint Louis where he was a finalist for the job before Jerry made a move and hired him here.

I thought it was Atlanta and Baltimore that interviewed him for the job, may have even offered him the job IIRC

HungryLion

Reaction score
It wasn't just preseason. In 2016, Dak's passer rating on Dez's targets was slightly better than it was on everyone else's targets.

to Bryant
55% 928 yds 10 td 2 int 106.5
to others
72% 3041 yds 16 td 3 int 105.8

This year, it's more than 30 points worse than everyone else's.

to Bryant
51% 439 yds 4 td 2 int 75.4
to others
69% 1363 yds 12 td 2 int 107.7

Excellent post. And you’re right. Dez and Dak has a lot of success together last season, particularly in the second half of the season. Dez has quite a few big games AND Dak was hitting Dez deep.

Dak threw Dez deep TD’s against the eagles, steelers, lions, and packers in the playoffs. And that’s just off the top of my head. There may have been more.

The ability is there, there is just something off a bit right now. They will get it figured out.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Garrett was the OC in 07 when the team was blowing people out. You want to give the offensive plan credit to Wade?

He was also a QB in the league for years.

People will be SHOCKED to hear this but by in large the football IQ amongst all NFL coaches is roughly the same with a few outliers at the top like Wade on defense and Belicheck in both sides.

Those who win games are who handle pressure in making the right play call and on the field the right decision where to go with the ball. That’s where Garrett focuses his attention. The details. Not having the fanciest playbook. Mike Martz and Chip Kelly can tell you how valuable that is.

There’s no coach in the league that DOESNT know X’s and O’s. Some just choose to minimize risk more than others.

Linehan was considered a moron by most as a head coach and some even thought so here but the team is on its best run offensively in team history in terms of points scored in last 6.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
If you've read the stories about Haley, I'm not sure how much "coaching" was involved with Hale
Some of the most distrubing things I've ever read in my life.
Not disagreeing with that. But I have also heard several players say the following: Without Haley...we do not win those Super Bowls.

If Jason is not an X and O guy. He needs 53 players superior than the 53 on the other side of the field. When you try to win this way...you are going to get some "disturbed" individuals in the bunch. The 5 million dollar head coach HAS to be able to harness that and make it work. If he cannot...what is he bringing to the table that you or I cannot bring?

Reactions: BAT

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
According to Tony, some coaches want players that come in motivated. JG thinks he can motivated anyone.

According to me, the ability to motivate people is a great quality to have for a head coach but the insistence that one can motivate anyone... not much.
It is kind of an arrogant perspective, honestly.

Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is one of the dumber things I've seen posted .... ever. If you want to argue that Garrett isn't a good head coach, I can listen to that argument. Any coach who has never won an NFC championship or SB could have that argument made about him. But it's really stupid to try and say Garrett is not a football guy.

Jason Garrett was employed as a QB for 13 seasons in the NFL. Despite limited physical ability, he was successful as the primary backup. In his 7 years in Dallas, he threw 11 TD's filling in for Troy Aikman and other injured QBs with only 5 INTs, with an 83.2 QBR. He did that because he was a football guy who understood schemes.
Pass attempts: 2940
Pass completions: 1650
Percentage: 56.1
He was hired as the QB coach in Miami by Nick Saban, who clearly thought he was a football guy. In 2007 he was hired by Dallas as offensive coordinator. Maybe you don't remember that he led Dallas to the 2nd best offense in the NFL as the coordinator/playcaller. Jerry made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL, not because he was nuts, but because the Ravens and Falcons made him offers after interviewing for their head coaching jobs. Later, he was also interviewed in Detroit, Denver, and Saint Louis where he was a finalist for the job before Jerry made a move and hired him here.

You can say he's made mistakes; you can say he's not a successful coach; you can even suggest that we will never win with him if that's what you believe. But to say he's not a football guy is totally ridiculous unless you suggest you know better than that many people who actually work in the NFL. He was very successful as our offensive playcaller, and you can't do that without being a football guy.

Garrett's strength is not the football side of things. When compared to the quality football minds and coaches he doesnt measure up. Now if you really thought I mean as compared to people like me and you..................then that would be the stupid part.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
This stood out the most and all I could think is we have cheerleaders for motivation, we need a coach that can coach the details
Exactly. We already have motivation covered. These guys re grown men. If prolongs their career, being the best at their position and providing for their families doesn't self-motivate them, they're. Lost cause. We don't need a coach for motivation. We need a coach for preparation. Did anybody see the Andy Reid talking to the refs about possible offensive pass interference. That's what we need our coach to be doing!!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This really jumped out at me as well during the broadcast and further confirmed my notion that he'd be a great collegiate coach but won't get us very far at the pro level.

Rah rah is all you need in college. You still have to coach and scheme.

jjktkk

Reaction score
This is one of the dumber things I've seen posted .... ever. If you want to argue that Garrett isn't a good head coach, I can listen to that argument. Any coach who has never won an NFC championship or SB could have that argument made about him. But it's really stupid to try and say Garrett is not a football guy.

Jason Garrett was employed as a QB for 13 seasons in the NFL. Despite limited physical ability, he was successful as the primary backup. In his 7 years in Dallas, he threw 11 TD's filling in for Troy Aikman and other injured QBs with only 5 INTs, with an 83.2 QBR. He did that because he was a football guy who understood schemes.
Pass attempts: 2940
Pass completions: 1650
Percentage: 56.1
He was hired as the QB coach in Miami by Nick Saban, who clearly thought he was a football guy. In 2007 he was hired by Dallas as offensive coordinator. Maybe you don't remember that he led Dallas to the 2nd best offense in the NFL as the coordinator/playcaller. Jerry made him the highest paid assistant in the NFL, not because he was nuts, but because the Ravens and Falcons made him offers after interviewing for their head coaching jobs. Later, he was also interviewed in Detroit, Denver, and Saint Louis where he was a finalist for the job before Jerry made a move and hired him here.

You can say he's made mistakes; you can say he's not a successful coach; you can even suggest that we will never win with him if that's what you believe. But to say he's not a football guy is totally ridiculous unless you suggest you know better than that many people who actually work in the NFL. He was very successful as our offensive playcaller, and you can't do that without being a football guy.

Not to mention, Garrett grew up in the game. His dad was longtime scout. I wonder if @CowboyRoy even watches the games anymore, but just watches old, VHS tapes, of the 90's Cowboys.
:muttley:

jjktkk

Reaction score
You have to be a supreme motivator and disciplinarian to win with this approach. Jason falls short. He would have never been able to coach Charles haley
I don't think a lot of today's NFL head coaches would be able to coach Haley.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
How does a guy that's not a schematics or x&o's guy become an offensive coordinator.

That's seems odd. You would figure that x&o's and schemes is a primary requisite for being a offensive coordinator

Clap clap clap

Proximo

Reaction score
I think you guys are trying to turn Romo's words into something they weren't intended. Garrett is the head coach who isn't calling the offense or defense, so, like Jimmy Johnson, his role has nothing to do with being a schematics guy. That doesn't mean he doesn't understand schemes. The guy was successful in the NFL as a QB with limited physical ability and won some huge games when called upon against top competitors; he understands schemes. He started as an offensive coordinator, and he called plays and was successful doing it in Dallas, despite a lack of top talent at times, and he gave it up after Jerry realized that as a young, first time head coach, he was making mistakes managing the game. His play-calling wasn't the issue; his game management decisions were, so he had to step back and get that right.

Now, he may not be a great head coach; he may never get the Cowboys to a SB or NFC championship victory, but it's foolish to suggest he doesn't understand schemes. That's not at all what Romo said. Again, like Jimmy Johnson, that's not his role, so he's not doing it as head coach.

See, now this is an intelligent, well thought out post.

Things don't ALWAYS need to be one extreme or the other.

There are people in this thread actually saying "Garrett's not a "football" guy", and using Romo's comments as some weird form of validation.

Garrett has literally been involved with football at the professional level for DECADES. To insinuate that he doesn't understand schemes is the definition of absurd.