Things I learned as a pizza delivery guy

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Since we are independent I am always curious to how the chains do it, we had a gal come in a while back and apply who had worked at Dominoes. She told me the delivery fee{cant remember how much it is} 2$ maybe? Anyways she told me the store gets 100% of that, the only "tip" she got was anything additional from the customer.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Actually that makes perfect sense. I really wish we were more like 3-4 miles radius instead of 8 miles but seeing we can take up to 4 deliveries at a time, I find it beneficial compared to places like Domino's that hires like 12 drivers to handle a night and only taking one delivery at a time in rotation. It's true we are slower than Domino's but the drivers make more seeing we can take on more deliveries in less runs.....

Yes we don't have a huge amount of deliveries, nothing near the big chains. We have a buffet which especially at lunchtime the parking lot will be totally packed with cars. Not sure id like having that many drivers especially if I was still driving. A guy from Marcos Pizza told me on weekend nights they have a high amount of drivers and most of the time they are only allowed to take single deliveries.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Since we are independent I am always curious to how the chains do it, we had a gal come in a while back and apply who had worked at Dominoes. She told me the delivery fee{cant remember how much it is} 2$ maybe? Anyways she told me the store gets 100% of that, the only "tip" she got was anything additional from the customer.

That sounds about right..... Most places charge the delivery fee to help pay the drivers hourly. Since I work for an independent owned shop myself we can change it up from the norm.... Mind you we are only paid $5 an hour to deliver though. Nothing for mileage either..... So the shop owner decided to split up the delivery fee for the drivers.... $1 to help pay our hourly and $1 goes to us for each delivery we take out each night.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
That sounds about right..... Most places charge the delivery fee to help pay the drivers hourly. Since I work for an independent owned shop myself we can change it up from the norm.... Mind you we are only paid $5 an hour to deliver though. Nothing for mileage either..... So the shop owner decided to split up the delivery fee for the drivers.... $1 to help pay our hourly and $1 goes to us for each delivery we take out each night.

Our drivers are paid minimum wage, + 1.50 delivery free{which goes to them} no mileage plus any other tips from customers. Our waitresses aren't paid the usual 2-3 bucks an hour, they get minimum wage and especially say during the lunch hours its not uncommon for them to pull in 80-100 bucks in a 3 hour period{yes we are that busy lol}.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Our drivers are paid minimum wage, + 1.50 delivery free{which goes to them} no mileage plus any other tips from customers. Our waitresses aren't paid the usual 2-3 bucks an hour, they get minimum wage and especially say during the lunch hours its not uncommon for them to pull in 80-100 bucks in a 3 hour period{yes we are that busy lol}.

Nice..... Sounds like you guys got a great setup..... A good clientele base setup as well.....

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score

It depends on the area and the individual franchise. For the most part with the big 3 (Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut) there is a delivery charge on every delivery except free pizzas (remakes, credits, etc) and drivers receive mileage but the two are not connected. I currently deliver for Pizza Hut and we get a flat $1.25 per delivery while there is a $3 delivery charge. On the previously mentioned free orders drivers still receive mileage and for tax purposes mileage is not considered income. It's frustrating though because I know there are people out there that see the $3 and think I'm getting that and it leads to a stiff. Other variations of delivery charges I've received were a flat amount that was reduced for 2nd and 3rd orders that were dispatched with the first and a Domino's with a large area that paid per mile. Domino's has a map system and it used that to calculate your miles driven rather than what you reported.

A couple of my personal contributions to this thread having delivered for Pizza Hut and Dominos for the past 12 years.

A lot of people with a large amount of money have that money because of certain finance philosophies. These are the people that tend to be very stingy on their tips. Not all wealthy people are, but I've been tipped $2 on large orders to very nice houses before.

There should be a law where children should not be allowed to sign a credit slip for their parents credit card. The area I am in now has way too many deliveries where the parents who are not home send an order to their 12 year old alone at home who has no knowledge of tipping. This is one place I wouldn't mind Papa Johns set up where you can tip when you place the order.

If you are going to give some stupid excuse why you are not going to tip me then it's better to just not say anything at all. Telling me you don't have cash for a tip while writing a 0 on the tip line of the credit receipt is not a valid excuse.

Best tip I've ever received was a little over $60 on a 70 pizza school order. As mentioned earlier schools/churches can be real hit or miss. It largely depends on if the person paying/signing is actually the person in charge of the money or not. Second highest tip was $50 on a $50 order on my birthday. Was an excellent birthday. My worst day was a morning shift where I took 6 deliveries with a single $1 tip. I almost didn't come to work again the next day.

For the most part I give great service up until the point that I know you aren't going to tip. But be aware that I remember my deliveries. Maybe not the one off that only orders once every couple of months. But drivers remember known stiffers. That extends to other things to. I know when a regular has peculiarities in their orders that I need to check for. Also things like different colored porch lights or pets or unique houses. Stuff like the underwear guy mentioned earlier in the thread is known and talked about by drivers.

I delivered for Domino's in Waco, TX for several years and the first week of the month was always busier then the rest because that is when welfare checks would come in. The store was next to Baylor and the area was very segregated. You had the around the school where dorms were a likely stiff but as the kids got older and moved into apartments with other schoolmates they became better tippers. College parties were always great tips. Then you had the welfare section where 80% of the time it was a stiff. And then you had the nicer areas that were the best tips but also the furthest drive.

Speaking of Waco we had 2 strip clubs that we delivered to relatively frequently. Believe it or not, strippers actually make for terrible tippers. At least those that work in strip clubs in low income areas. If I was fortunate enough to have the bar pay for the order I'd usually get a tip but if it was the stripper themselves it was more often then not a stiff. I remember this one stripper in a bikini paying cash for an order. She handed me the order total up to the next dollar amount in ones. I started to walk away and she asked what about the change referring to the coins. I'm thinking to myself where the hell are you going to put them? Should have come back when she next danced and threw coins on the stage.

Besides the strip club my one naked story was to a college apartment. I knocked on the door and this tall naked black guy answered the door with a big smile on his face. The smile quickly changed to surprise and he said "oh" before closing door. 4 people who looked like they had quickly thrown on clothes were standing at the door when he re-opened it a minute later. I guess he was expecting somebody else and I interrupted an orgy or something.

Finally, I was robbed about 3 and a half years ago. This happened in Plano, TX in an area that I never thought it would happen. They placed a large delivery order to an empty house that was for sale. Red flags should have triggered in my head but I was having a very frustrating night. I pulled up and there was a teenager standing out on the sidewalk leading up to the house. He said he left his money inside and turned around to walk towards the house. I turned back to my car to set the heavy order down for a second. When I turned back around 3 guys in masks were swinging crowbars at me getting in several hits. I tried grabbing one out of one of their hands and he backed off for a second. I started repeating wait and he said to give him all of my money and my phone. I handed him my $20 bank,my wallet with no cash in it, and my phone. Dominos has a very strict policy about not carrying more than $20 on you at a time for reasons such as this. They then grabbed the pizzas and ran off. I later learned that they robbed 3 other delivery drivers that night eventually working up to pulling a gun on someone so I was "lucky" in that sense. The next morning when I went to the bank I found out they had tried to make several declined purchases with my card at Wal Mart. I communicated this with the detective and he went to Wal Mart to look at the security footage. One of the idiots was wearing his high school shirt. He took the photo to the school and asked around ultimately getting the identity of all three of them. One was still a minor and was sent to juvenile while the other were tried as adults and sent to prison. I should have quit but I kept delivering. I dealt with a lot of anxiety as a result though. I was super paranoid when at someones door though. If I didn't see any lights I called before ever stepping out of my car. And any time I ever heard footsteps behind me I had to step to the side and let the person past. I eventually got over it though.

I want to stop delivering pizzas. I'm essentially full time and while it is decent money with low qualifications necessary I'd appreciate a stable income. I'm tired of the highs and lows. A good day can be followed by a bad day and a good delivery can be followed by a bad delivery and the bad ones tend to stick with me more. Just need to figure out what to do instead.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
Oh yes....valets. My wife and I went to Las Brises on Sunday. I tipped the valet guys $5 each way... Including a 10 second wait on the return .it's just the right thing to do kids.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Knew a guy in Houston back in the '80s that delivered pizza and he got drug into an empty apt. by 4 dudes and they beat the hell out of him and took his wallet and the pizza. He never delivered again.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It depends on the area and the individual franchise. For the most part with the big 3 (Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut) there is a delivery charge on every delivery except free pizzas (remakes, credits, etc) and drivers receive mileage but the two are not connected. I currently deliver for Pizza Hut and we get a flat $1.25 per delivery while there is a $3 delivery charge. On the previously mentioned free orders drivers still receive mileage and for tax purposes mileage is not considered income. It's frustrating though because I know there are people out there that see the $3 and think I'm getting that and it leads to a stiff. Other variations of delivery charges I've received were a flat amount that was reduced for 2nd and 3rd orders that were dispatched with the first and a Domino's with a large area that paid per mile. Domino's has a map system and it used that to calculate your miles driven rather than what you reported.

A couple of my personal contributions to this thread having delivered for Pizza Hut and Dominos for the past 12 years.

A lot of people with a large amount of money have that money because of certain finance philosophies. These are the people that tend to be very stingy on their tips. Not all wealthy people are, but I've been tipped $2 on large orders to very nice houses before.

There should be a law where children should not be allowed to sign a credit slip for their parents credit card. The area I am in now has way too many deliveries where the parents who are not home send an order to their 12 year old alone at home who has no knowledge of tipping. This is one place I wouldn't mind Papa Johns set up where you can tip when you place the order.

If you are going to give some stupid excuse why you are not going to tip me then it's better to just not say anything at all. Telling me you don't have cash for a tip while writing a 0 on the tip line of the credit receipt is not a valid excuse.

Best tip I've ever received was a little over $60 on a 70 pizza school order. As mentioned earlier schools/churches can be real hit or miss. It largely depends on if the person paying/signing is actually the person in charge of the money or not. Second highest tip was $50 on a $50 order on my birthday. Was an excellent birthday. My worst day was a morning shift where I took 6 deliveries with a single $1 tip. I almost didn't come to work again the next day.

For the most part I give great service up until the point that I know you aren't going to tip. But be aware that I remember my deliveries. Maybe not the one off that only orders once every couple of months. But drivers remember known stiffers. That extends to other things to. I know when a regular has peculiarities in their orders that I need to check for. Also things like different colored porch lights or pets or unique houses. Stuff like the underwear guy mentioned earlier in the thread is known and talked about by drivers.

I delivered for Domino's in Waco, TX for several years and the first week of the month was always busier then the rest because that is when welfare checks would come in. The store was next to Baylor and the area was very segregated. You had the around the school where dorms were a likely stiff but as the kids got older and moved into apartments with other schoolmates they became better tippers. College parties were always great tips. Then you had the welfare section where 80% of the time it was a stiff. And then you had the nicer areas that were the best tips but also the furthest drive.

Speaking of Waco we had 2 strip clubs that we delivered to relatively frequently. Believe it or not, strippers actually make for terrible tippers. At least those that work in strip clubs in low income areas. If I was fortunate enough to have the bar pay for the order I'd usually get a tip but if it was the stripper themselves it was more often then not a stiff. I remember this one stripper in a bikini paying cash for an order. She handed me the order total up to the next dollar amount in ones. I started to walk away and she asked what about the change referring to the coins. I'm thinking to myself where the hell are you going to put them? Should have come back when she next danced and threw coins on the stage.

Besides the strip club my one naked story was to a college apartment. I knocked on the door and this tall naked black guy answered the door with a big smile on his face. The smile quickly changed to surprise and he said "oh" before closing door. 4 people who looked like they had quickly thrown on clothes were standing at the door when he re-opened it a minute later. I guess he was expecting somebody else and I interrupted an orgy or something.

Finally, I was robbed about 3 and a half years ago. This happened in Plano, TX in an area that I never thought it would happen. They placed a large delivery order to an empty house that was for sale. Red flags should have triggered in my head but I was having a very frustrating night. I pulled up and there was a teenager standing out on the sidewalk leading up to the house. He said he left his money inside and turned around to walk towards the house. I turned back to my car to set the heavy order down for a second. When I turned back around 3 guys in masks were swinging crowbars at me getting in several hits. I tried grabbing one out of one of their hands and he backed off for a second. I started repeating wait and he said to give him all of my money and my phone. I handed him my $20 bank,my wallet with no cash in it, and my phone. Dominos has a very strict policy about not carrying more than $20 on you at a time for reasons such as this. They then grabbed the pizzas and ran off. I later learned that they robbed 3 other delivery drivers that night eventually working up to pulling a gun on someone so I was "lucky" in that sense. The next morning when I went to the bank I found out they had tried to make several declined purchases with my card at Wal Mart. I communicated this with the detective and he went to Wal Mart to look at the security footage. One of the idiots was wearing his high school shirt. He took the photo to the school and asked around ultimately getting the identity of all three of them. One was still a minor and was sent to juvenile while the other were tried as adults and sent to prison. I should have quit but I kept delivering. I dealt with a lot of anxiety as a result though. I was super paranoid when at someones door though. If I didn't see any lights I called before ever stepping out of my car. And any time I ever heard footsteps behind me I had to step to the side and let the person past. I eventually got over it though.

I want to stop delivering pizzas. I'm essentially full time and while it is decent money with low qualifications necessary I'd appreciate a stable income. I'm tired of the highs and lows. A good day can be followed by a bad day and a good delivery can be followed by a bad delivery and the bad ones tend to stick with me more. Just need to figure out what to do instead.
Some tough breaks....... keep your head up and hang in there

Just be smart ...... if something doesn't feel right just bail...... it is only pizza

You sound like you like to work so maybe try bar backing or serving or some other tipped job that rewards hustle or maybe DJ at the strip club you talked about......lol

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score

Thank you for such incite.... While I knew there were dangers involved in our work, what you said yesterday really helped me in a situation earlier tonight. While I was delivering to a known address that I have delivered to over 10 times that tips well BTW.... They had friends over and it was a decent size order.... $60 dollars worth..... After doing the transacting another guy asked if I could break a hundred dollar bill. I said no while actually I could have broken 2 of them, but we are suppose to carry no more than $20 at one time..... Kind of hard to do when we carry all cash from all deliveries from the day and night shift. When 12 deliveries paid in cash, of course I have a lot of cash on me..... While I was lying and saying I might be able to change out a $20 bill, he produced such, causing me to pull out the wad I had and proving I could have exchanged about any bill he had....

All things went smoothly and I trusted the couple I was delivering to, the neighbor who was part of the order actually said, If I need money, I know to order from you and rob you of the fortune you have..... Now I figured he was joking and he was but what if that was a mental note? Maybe I should keep all cash under $20 separate..... Then again at knife point or gun point, would it matter if it was in another pocket or even the car? With that in mind I might start carrying protection for now on. You really don't start thinking of such until it happens. Not really looking forward to dealing with such to be honest. Any ideas of words of wisdom?

Last edited:

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score

Also I would like to commend you on the tales of strippers..... Being that some days I sub at another location in Inwood WV which has 12 totally nude strip joints, Martinsburg has another 14 and Charlestown has another 16 because the casino is there, I run into a lot of stripper traffic...... For the most part I get about 10-14% from them but have yet to deliver to their place of work.... Mostly at their homes...... With the delivery fee, I still seem to average around $5-$6 dollars a delivery. It is true that many are men haters and with their profession, who would blame them with a ton of drunk I want your sex dudes always harassing them .....

Anyhow there is this one young, beautiful, probably doesn't belong there woman that always tips 50%. She is probably the most gorgeous woman I deliver to. Sadly she is the age of my daughter and son..... Anyhow she is always nice and invites me in her home when it is cold, and even offers me a drink which I decline since I am driving and possibly her dad's age.... Doesn't stop me from wondering though....... LOL

Last edited:

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Also I would like to commend you on the tales of strippers..... Being that some days I sub at another location in Inwood WV which has 12 totally nude strip joints, Martinsburg has another 14 and Charlestown has another 16 because the casino is there, I run into a lot of stripper traffic...... For the most part I get about 10-14% from them but have yet to deliver to their place of work.... Mostly at their homes...... With the delivery fee, I still seem to average around $5-$6 dollars a delivery. It is true that many are men haters and with their profession, who would blame them with a ton of drunk I want your sex dudes..... Anyhow there is this one young, beautiful, probably doesn't belong there woman that always tips 50%. She is probably the most gorgeous woman I deliver to. Sadly she is the age of my daughter and son..... Anyhow she is always nice and invites me in her home when it is cold, and even offers me a drink which I decline since I am driving and possibly her dad's age.... Doesn't stop me from wondering though....... LOL
Ask her to do a table dance

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Ask her to do a table dance

Honestly since I am at her home, a private dance would be the better request..... Why jump on your own furniture when you don't have to?..... Again I am so tempted to ask a few questions but it is in a strippers nature to seduce then get your money afterwords..... But it is not a great idea for her at home since she is missing her bouncer unless Patrick Swayze is her man at home..... Regardless I just feel so out of sorts with her being maybe 19-21yrs old and I am going on 42 soon.... lol But who knows, if I am really cheery one night and speak of confidence, just know it was not planned but it happened... LMAO

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I never get delivery anymore. It's been probably 20 years now (Rare exception possibly being when I am out of town at a hotel). I prefer not to pay the extra cost, and the food is always more fresh that way. Also, I have noticed that the food tends to be prepared better when they know you're going to come in and see the food before you leave.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honestly since I am at her home, a private dance would be the better request..... Why jump on your own furniture when you don't have to?..... Again I am so tempted to ask a few questions but it is in a strippers nature to seduce then get your money afterwords..... But it is not a great idea for her at home since she is missing her bouncer unless Patrick Swayze is her man at home..... Regardless I just feel so out of sorts with her being maybe 19-21yrs old and I am going on 42 soon.... lol But who knows, if I am really cheery one night and speak of confidence, just know it was not planned but it happened... LMAO

What are you waiting for? You might regret this in another 20 years wishing you could get some young thang again. You only live once......:flagwave:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Thank you for such incite.... While I knew there were dangers involved in our work, what you said yesterday really helped me in a situation earlier tonight. While I was delivering to a known address that I have delivered to over 10 times that tips well BTW.... They had friends over and it was a decent size order.... $60 dollars worth..... After doing the transacting another guy asked if I could break a hundred dollar bill. I said no while actually I could have broken 2 of them, but we are suppose to carry no more than $20 at one time..... Kind of hard to do when we carry all cash from all deliveries from the day and night shift. When 12 deliveries paid in cash, of course I have a lot of cash on me..... While I was lying and saying I might be able to change out a $20 bill, he produced such, causing me to pull out the wad I had and proving I could have exchanged about any bill he had....

All things went smoothly and I trusted the couple I was delivering to, the neighbor who was part of the order actually said, If I need money, I know to order from you and rob you of the fortune you have..... Now I figured he was joking and he was but what if that was a mental note? Maybe I should keep all cash under $20 separate..... Then again at knife point or gun point, would it matter if it was in another pocket or even the car? With that in mind I might start carrying protection for now on. You really don't start thinking of such until it happens. Not really looking forward to dealing with such to be honest. Any ideas of words of wisdom?
You should get a locker or lock box at work....... no reason to carry that much cash.........you need it later for the strip club

I used to drive in my resort town and everyone was partying..... it blows their mind when they say "You want a beer or a hit" and you say "hell yeah"

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score

The not carrying more than $20 policy for Dominos is more about discouraging and preventing robberies then it is about making sure they don't get away with much cash. We had drop boxes at work that you dropped your cash after every run. At the Pizza Hut I am at now they don't do that however. Instead we cash in after every run. The shorts/pants I wear have a not very noticeable pocket by the knee that I keep my tip money seperate from my bank and my wallet. This cash is usually organized so in the very rare cases where I might need to grab a twenty I can reach in and grab the outermost bill never actually showing how much money I may have on me. I think it's a terrible idea to pull out a wad of unorganized money to try to give someone a large amount of change. In these cases I'll usually say something along the lines of I've got a little cash from my previous delivery but this is a one time thing and I don't usually don't have more than $20 on me.

And your right, it may not matter where you keep the money in a robbery. And I hope you are never put in that position. Most delivery drivers wont ever be robbed. But this job is not a "safe" one between car accidents and robberies. Those things do happen. I had always been told if you are put in that situation, the best thing to do is to comply and you'll increase the chances of getting out of the situation with your life. That's what I did. Though to be honest, I hated myself for it. It felt emasculating. I felt like I should have tried to fight back. But the reality is whatever money or items they get away with is not worth your life. And most robbers are not looking to take your life unless something goes wrong. Keeping protection is totally up to you though. That could mean a gun but it could also mean a taser or pepper spray. Some places have policies about drivers not having guns but if you were put in a situation where you had to use one it might be time to leave that job anyways.

And I'm not trying to scare you. You should be able to take deliveries with a peace of mind. Just be mentally aware and prepared for the possible problems that can possibly occur. I always knew delivery drivers being robbed was a real occurrence, I just thought it wouldn't happen to me because of the area I was in. You just never know what's going to happen.

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Got to say this week has really discouraged my delivery life on the east coast. To be honest, I would rather deliver to a a group of middle eastern immigrates than a-hole American white communities in the northern Virginia region the week of winter storm Toby...... I know that will come off racist as can be, but truth sometimes stings..... The only reason I call out the middle east is because a tip is seen as a bribe to make you try harder in their country. So yes it is an insult to tip in that region......You have got to be kidding me. A 6% average tip on deliveries from Tuesday to Thursday during the 17 inches of snow..... 12 Stiffs from teens shoveling snow and 6 more from a-holes under 18yrs of age over 7 miles one way from the shop. Don't get me started on others of age...... Pure disgrace.... This has nothing to do with cowboy fans, but please know we earn $5 to $7 an hour at best (regarding the delivery fee, which only goes to pay our hourly which likely at most is $5 an hour). For me it is $5 an hour .......Their tip barely covers sales tax, mileage, or the money it takes to make sure we make minimum wage which is $8.75 an hour. It is really the considerate people at night that cover most cheap-*****. The sickest thing I had to witness was my car being towed away on a delivery, because I got stuck in snow for .50 cents. My insurance covered it after missing 3 hours. I'm sorry but shame on those, Shame on me for caring..... Looking to go back to the service industry next week...I'm done......Forgive me but I am sorry. A-hole have won..... I made $240 in 3 days or snow...... I worked 26 hours as the only driver. Do the math....

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Got to say this week has really discouraged my delivery life on the east coast. To be honest, I would rather deliver to a a group of middle eastern immigrates than a-hole American white communities in the northern Virginia region the week of winter storm Toby...... I know that will come off racist as can be, but truth sometimes stings..... The only reason I call out the middle east is because a tip is seen as a bribe to make you try harder in their country. So yes it is an insult to tip in that region......You have got to be kidding me. A 6% average tip on deliveries from Tuesday to Thursday during the 17 inches of snow..... 12 Stiffs from teens shoveling snow and 6 more from a-holes under 18yrs of age over 7 miles one way from the shop. Don't get me started on others of age...... Pure disgrace.... This has nothing to do with cowboy fans, but please know we earn $5 to $7 an hour at best (regarding the delivery fee, which only goes to pay our hourly which likely at most is $5 an hour). For me it is $5 an hour .......Their tip barely covers sales tax, mileage, or the money it takes to make sure we make minimum wage which is $8.75 an hour. It is really the considerate people at night that cover most cheap-*****. The sickest thing I had to witness was my car being towed away on a delivery, because I got stuck in snow for .50 cents. My insurance covered it after missing 3 hours. I'm sorry but shame on those, Shame on me for caring..... Looking to go back to the service industry next week...I'm done......Forgive me but I am sorry. A-hole have won..... I made $240 in 3 days or snow...... I worked 26 hours as the only driver. Do the math....

Go find a server job at a decent restaurant man, will be hard work but the $$$ is a lot better. Work on your craft and it will pay off :thumbup: