Things that are wrong with this team

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dez is out there jogging his routes. Not even just at the end of decided games. He does it all the time. It's impossible to get timing down with him because of it. He regularly quits on a route completely when he doesn't think he's getting the ball. He runs TO contact, instead of trying to get separation. He runs the worst routes on the team. He's a simpleton who allows opponents to get into his head. He is immensely gifted, but he's more interested in being a "dawg" or a tough guy than he is in actually being a successful WR. He has completely bought into his own hype and is more interested in propagating a persona than playing the game.
How did Romo get his timing down with Dez? Since it's impossible?

Aven8

Reaction score
That's not true. Substantial draft assets have been spent on defense and we seem to be getting worse, not better. And Lewis may be a budding star.

Lowest paid D in football. Crap! We need stars and we have one, Lee and maybe Dlaw.
Stop.

For how many more years are we going to blame the talent? Geezus to heaven. For starters, these are the guys HE WANTED. He wanted a guy like Nolan Carroll. He wanted a guy like Thornton last year.

It's over. Frankly, it's over for the entire staff. It's times to move on. Yes, I said it. This franchise is stuck in the mud with the current leadership. It's just going to be a yo-yo run with Garrett where one year you think he may have gotten over the hump and then the next year they look lost, out of sync and with little focus.

I've seen enough.

I think they all should be canned but who on defense is blue chip?? Lee? Dlaw.....possibly? Who else?? He got Nolan Carroll because Stephen gave him 3 million to work with. He gets Paea because Stephen gave him 2 million to work with. That's crap!

Meanwhile we have a waste of space making 17 million per year that can't get open or run a route tree. He can't even win jump balls anymore! Follow the money bro!

vaturkey

Reaction score
Agree with almost everything said. I am surprised Jaylon is so poor in coverage. I thought one of the reasons he was considered a top 5 pick prior to his injury was his instincts. I'm not seeing a lot of those instincts on the field right now.

Sydla

Reaction score
Lowest paid D in football. Crap! We need stars and we have one, Lee and maybe Dlaw.

I think they all should be canned but who on defense is blue chip?? Lee? Dlaw.....possibly? Who else?? He got Nolan Carroll because Stephen gave him 3 million to work with. He gets Paea because Stephen gave him 2 million to work with. That's crap!

Meanwhile we have a waste of space making 17 million per year that can't get open or run a route tree. He can't even win jump balls anymore! Follow the money bro!

Just stop with the excuses for Marinelli.

I can't take it anymore.

Zordon

Reaction score
All the sudden people are starting to admit that we were wrong to let Leary go? I said it in the off-season and the Homer's came after me in full force.
I loved and respected Leary.

BUT at some point resources are going to have to be allocated to other parts of the team. If Garrett can't adjust to that then it's an indictment on him. He's nothing without all-pro talent everywhere on his offense.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jerry is to busy paying guys like scandrick/crawford/wilber/heath/durant/hitchens/carroll/ to lose games for us rather than take the money from those bums and bring in two real difference makers.
He is also too busy rewarding Garrett with doglike devotion after he has been out coached by rookies in both our losses

Verdict

Reaction score
All the sudden people are starting to admit that we were wrong to let Leary go? I said it in the off-season and the Homer's came after me in full force.

I have always been on that bandwagon, but you are right. It's the same people who want to apologize and make excuses for the team over and over. I realize that reasonable minds can view things differently, but at some point you sort of have to be objective and realistic or you are living a lie.

rwalters31

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this team does not suck and not everything is wrong with this team. These observations are not based on this game only, but were also part of the reason we lost this game today. But these are continuing problems that I think are getting in the way of this team winning ball games:

1. Dez Bryant. This guy can't get open and he can't catch the ball when it is thrown to him. The Dez Bryant issue doesn't stop there. We seem hell bent on forcing him the ball and killing drives by throwing deep to him. We are paying him top 5 money. I was wrong about saying he may not be top 10. It is much worse than that. He probably isn't top 50 and no I'm not kidding about that. At least he is a good guy and not a cancer. But other than that he is TO in his last year. He can make great passes,it is just not all the time

2. Jason Witten. Another albatross of a contract. But that is beside the point. He can find a seam but he can't run after catch and the guy can't block for ****. It isn't surprising that on Zekes big run the hole was opened by Hanna. Hanna got the TD catch. Hopefully we will see more of him. He is a progress stopper of the worst order and he seems to get to call his own shots which is an indictment of the coaching staff. I think if Witten wanted to play QB he would bench Dak because Witten has "earned that right". Pathetic. He is still a very good blocker, sure handed in the crossing lane, and can block down field. His biggest problem is he no longer can run.

3. Rod Marinelli. Where do I start? The game has passed him by. He can't evaluate talent. He has the wrong guys active and doesn't put the team in a position to succeed The soft coverage he insists on using with these DBs is idiotic. He is vanilla as hell with his blitzes and moving guys around to get a mismatch is noexistent. They need to cut him and replace him with a decent high school coach. It would be an upgrade. His beliefs are based on him having asap, et. .al and he doesn't have a Warren Sapp on this roster. You have some points that are hard to argue. His secondary game plans seem too soft and the players seem never in a position to make plays. This game had Gurley open running to his left with no one spying on him. His long run made me fill sick. For a running back to get over 100 yards both running and receiving shows an average defense at best.

4. Dak, but not for the reason you think. I think Dak is a superior QB. But they are playing to his weakness and "coaching" the good decisions he made last year out of him. Dak is an average QB as a passing QB. He was only following his limited passing options last year. This year he is given more options but he is thinking now and his decisions and accuracy have suffered.

5. The OL. They aren't as good as they were last year. Letting Leary go was a horrible mistake. It too bad that they didn't cut Dez and Witten or do whatever they could to keep him on the roster. Huge loss. Piss poor management decision. You got this one right!!

6. They won't throw it to Beasley. He was a big part of last year's formula for success. This year he hasn't even been an afterthought. It's frustrating to watch. He has gotten a few but the other receivers need touches to make him open.

7. Coaching staff's stubbornness and inability/refusal to adapt. This one is self explanatory. I could go on for days about the piss poor decision making of this coaching staff. We will have to wait a couple more games before can really evaluate the coaches, but I am leaning in your direction.

8. Piss poor catching ability of receivers. TWill's body catching hurt us badly today. I would have to side with our receivers a B+ and were better that the RAMS this game. They do make some great catches but I am putting most of the blame on the QB

Aven8

Reaction score
Just stop with the excuses for Marinelli.

I can't take it anymore.

He's Really the only teacher we have. He's not perfect, but he's done more with less then JG and Linny could even fathom. Sorry.

I want a whole new staff and have for years.

Verdict

Reaction score

Romo isn't here anymore so that's irrelevant (and I wanted to see Romo stay as the starter). Dez has been in a spiral for several years so what he has done two or three or five years ago isn't as relevant as the present.

Verdict

Reaction score

About the only time Witten's blocks are effective is when they are indirect. He doesn't have the strength to take guys head on anymore and he really isn't fast enough to get to the point of attack on lots of plays. Pay attention to his blocking. As a general rule it is below average on a good day.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's Really the only teacher we have. He's not perfect, but he's done more with less then JG and Linny could even fathom. Sorry.

I want a whole new staff and have for years.

He has enough talent that we should start seeing improvement. We aren't . It is heading the other way. I believe a lot of that is coaching and scheme.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

Are we talking about three years ago, now? Really grasping at straws, now...

Dez took heat for the exact same things while Romo was here. It's nothing new. Go back and look at 2011, one of Romos best years in spite of Dez acting like a spoiled child the whole year.

I mean, are you even watching the games? If so, how are you defending it? Dez is on tape literally jogging routes, even when the ball is coming to him. It's tangible. We can see it. But you go ahead and argue "timing".

Aven8

Reaction score
He has enough talent that we should start seeing improvement. We aren't . It is heading the other way. I believe a lot of that is coaching and scheme.

Wade Phillips couldn't win with this crap. I'm all for a change but if he goes they all go! Not use him as a scapegoat for that snake JG.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I'll throw in a very early - "We don't run Dak/zone-read enough."

They ran it 4 times today, but he gave it to Zeke every time. On at least 2 of those he should of kept it himself.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
About the only time Witten's blocks are effective is when they are indirect. He doesn't have the strength to take guys head on anymore and he really isn't fast enough to get to the point of attack on lots of plays. Pay attention to his blocking. As a general rule it is below average on a good day.

He also is a liability in the passing game as he can't get more than 8 yards down the field, especially with the way this offensive line is blocking.

They desperately need some speed in the middle of the field to help take some pressure off the outside WRs and running game.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
LBs and Safeties are terrible.

Outside of D Law and at times Collins, d line is garbage. D law was triple teamed on occasion today, nothing. Summed up by Lawrence strip sack where dummy Crawford is on all fours and doesn't see the ball right under his nose.

O line not the powerhouse it was, and that's expected with 2 new pieces there.

In turn, Dak has been forced into down and distance that he appears, at least at this stage, unable to execute with any consistency. Game manager, not capable of carrying an offense.

Zeke, I don't know. He's running hard, but that pass in the flat for 30 he still looks out of shape, gassed whatever.

And today at least, the ST were destroyed. We lost all 3 phases today, and you can't win like that, hell they were lucky to be in a 1 score game.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Dez took heat for the exact same things while Romo was here. It's nothing new. Go back and look at 2011, one of Romos best years in spite of Dez acting like a spoiled child the whole year.

I mean, are you even watching the games? If so, how are you defending it? Dez is on tape literally jogging routes, even when the ball is coming to him. It's tangible. We can see it. But you go ahead and argue "timing".
We haven't had a Romo caliber quarterback since he left. The year he was hurt we had the worst qb play I'd seen in 10 years. The next year you had a rookie qb who game managed his way through the season. This year we have a qb who defensive coordinators are asking him to beat you... And he really can't on a consistent basis.

We focus in Dez but have all our pass catchers suddenly become trash or is it the qb? Why is the qb immune to criticism? Because he's likable and young?

Verdict

Reaction score

He is totally in denial. And he isn't open minded so there is really no point in having a "discussion" with him because he really isn't willing to listen.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
We haven't had a Romo caliber quarterback since he left. The year he was hurt we had the worst qb play I'd seen in 10 years. The next year you had a rookie qb who game managed his way through the season. This year we have a qb who defensive coordinators are asking him to beat you... And he really can't on a consistent basis.

We focus in Dez but have all our pass catchers suddenly become trash or is it the qb? Why is the qb immune to criticism? Because he's likable and young?

Dak was 20/36 for 250+ yards and three scores, with another TD dropped. He did more than enough to win this game.

No one is immune. Including Dez. Practice what you preach. I didn't say Dak was perfect or beyond reproach, but Dez is a vested veteran still doing the same asinine bull**** he did years ago with Romo.

Dez is ON TAPE jogging routes. You can't refute it. It's fact.

Dak is a second year QB learning to adjust to defenses that have adjusted to him. Could he be playing better? Of course. They all could. The difference is, you can see Dak growing and adjusting. Meanwhile, Dez just keeps doug Dez things YEARS later.

If you can't see the difference here, then you're probably qualified to run this team with similar results.