Things that are wrong with this team

kevm3

Reaction score
How did Romo get his timing down with Dez? Since it's impossible?
There were plenty of threads calling for Dez to be traded and people screaming that he didn't know how to run routes when he first came here. This notion that him and Romo were just slicing it up right off the bat is pure fantasy.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He is totally in denial. And he isn't open minded so there is really no point in having a "discussion" with him because he really isn't willing to listen.
Yeah I'm realizing that. I'll check out of this thread now.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dez always seems to make drops at that worse times as well. The fumble at the Giants last year, the tipped ball vs Denver the first down today up 11 with a chance to put it away.

They aren't using him right either, we go down 2 scores and suddenly he is running slants and a post route and wide open.

Sydla

Reaction score
He's Really the only teacher we have. He's not perfect, but he's done more with less then JG and Linny could even fathom. Sorry.

I want a whole new staff and have for years.

Then make him a position coach. Because when he's calling games, he's failing.

aikemirv

Reaction score
The team was actually playing really well until Switzer bone head play. That play changed the game from a blowout win to a loss. All momentum changed then.

Section446

Reaction score
I loved and respected Leary.

BUT at some point resources are going to have to be allocated to other parts of the team. If Garrett can't adjust to that then it's an indictment on him. He's nothing without all-pro talent everywhere on his offense.
We aren't doing much to "allocate" elsewhere. We've been absent from FA for the last four (or so) years. Had we gone out and immediately signed an FA or even Martin to an extension, I'd be with you. Dak is a project QB that needs all the help he can get, letting go of one of our best OL isn't helping him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah I'm realizing that. I'll check out of this thread now.

Don't let someone cause you to check out simply because they choose to be an ostrich and stick their head in the sand. Most people here are willing to carry on a meaningful discussion.

Verdict

Reaction score
We aren't doing much to "allocate" elsewhere. We've been absent from FA for the last four (or so) years. Had we gone out and immediately signed an FA or even Martin to an extension, I'd be with you. Dak is a project QB that needs all the help he can get, letting go of one of our best OL isn't helping him.

Well said. Dez isn't helping him. Dez could be a valuable asset, but he's not. In fact I think it is actually possible that we would be a better overall team without him since we wouldn't be "trying to get him going" or "feed him the ball". The object of the game is to win it. It's not to placate Dez or pad his meaningless stats.

Section446

Reaction score
Well said. Dez isn't helping him. Dez could be a valuable asset, but he's not. In fact I think it is actually possible that we would be a better overall team without him since we wouldn't be "trying to get him going" or "feed him the ball". The object of the game is to win it. It's not to placate Dez or pad his meaningless stats.
Dez is just not a very good WR, that's all there is to it. There isn't a DC in the league that stays up late preparing for Dez Bryant the way they do for guys like Antonio Brown or Julio Jones. A good-great WR doesn't disappear for entire weeks at a time, Dez is the football version of Houdini. I think Sturm said that he has one had 100 yard consecutive games one time in his career (2012).

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez is just not a very good WR, that's all there is to it. There isn't a DC in the league that stays up late preparing for Dez Bryant the way they do for guys like Antonio Brown or Julio Jones. A good-great WR doesn't disappear for entire weeks at a time, Dez is the football version of Houdini. I think Sturm said that he has one had 100 yard consecutive games one time in his career (2012).

I couldn't agree more. Dez is a vastly over rated player based on his one trick and now he can't even do that trick that well anymore.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We really lack speed on the offensive side of the ball. Defenses aren't afraid to shrink the field on us because we rarely can make them pay for it. We really need a speedy deep threat that can consistently catch the ball.

kevm3

Reaction score
Our main problem is coaching and our team isn't structured the same way as last year. Blowing up the secondary was a bad move. Jordan Lewis has been fantastic, but having Heath and Byron Jones as our primary safeties and making Brown over the other teams' best receivers is getting us lit up against decent offenses. Our formula last year was to limit teams to under 30 points, because that is what the offense averaged. We put up 30 today, but we're losing because the defense is getting blown up. You can't win with that slow, steady, grind it out offense if the defense is getting lit up and special teams is playing like utter garbage. We're simply going to have to become a more explosive offense and ask Dak to take more risks if we're to have any chance, because it's clear as day that our defense beats up on the average and below offenses, but gets tore up against high octane offenses. We're going to have to find a way to put up more than 30 a game.

The real problem with this team is that it is a very comfortable environment and we have a culture of accepting losing. Do you think switzer would have been right on the field after a huge momentum shifter if he were on the patriots? Would Tyrone Crawford still be on the field if he didn't grab a fumble right next to him? Is Bill Bellichik going to walk off the field with a smile after losing the game? If you can smile after losing a game as a head coach, you are entirely too comfortable in your position. There's no real pressure for anyone to perform. The young guys have that competitive spirit after coming from winning programs, but the longer they stay in this organization, the more nonchalant they get, ala Dez jogging on that route where the ball went right to him. Winning organizations aren't particularly comfortable places where you can smile and relax after losing.

kevm3

Reaction score
Our serious problem is a coaching one. How did Witten and Beasley, our two key weapons last year, essentially turn into nobodies this year and NO real adjustments have been made? We're not outscheming our opponents. You can only outtalent them so long until you meet up with someone who has just as much talent as you. Then schemes come into play, and if theirs is better, they win.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The defense was bad today, but the offense did not do them any favors in the second half. We kept striking out on offense and our defense was on the field too long in the second half.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this team does not suck and not everything is wrong with this team. These observations are not based on this game only, but were also part of the reason we lost this game today. But these are continuing problems that I think are getting in the way of this team winning ball games:

1. Dez Bryant. This guy can't get open and he can't catch the ball when it is thrown to him. The Dez Bryant issue doesn't stop there. We seem hell bent on forcing him the ball and killing drives by throwing deep to him. We are paying him top 5 money. I was wrong about saying he may not be top 10. It is much worse than that. He probably isn't top 50 and no I'm not kidding about that. At least he is a good guy and not a cancer. But other than that he is TO in his last year.

2. Jason Witten. Another albatross of a contract. But that is beside the point. He can find a seam but he can't run after catch and the guy can't block for ****. It isn't surprising that on Zekes big run the hole was opened by Hanna. Hanna got the TD catch. Hopefully we will see more of him. He is a progress stopper of the worst order and he seems to get to call his own shots which is an indictment of the coaching staff. I think if Witten wanted to play QB he would bench Dak because Witten has "earned that right". Pathetic.

3. Rod Marinelli. Where do I start? The game has passed him by. He can't evaluate talent. He has the wrong guys active and doesn't put the team in a position to succeed The soft coverage he insists on using with these DBs is idiotic. He is vanilla as hell with his blitzes and moving guys around to get a mismatch is noexistent. They need to cut him and replace him with a decent high school coach. It would be an upgrade. His beliefs are based on him having asap, et. .al and he doesn't have a Warren Sapp on this roster.

4. Dak, but not for the reason you think. I think Dak is a superior QB. But they are playing to his weakness and "coaching" the good decisions he made last year out of him.

5. The OL. They aren't as good as they were last year. Letting Leary go was a horrible mistake. It too bad that they didn't cut Dez and Witten or do whatever they could to keep him on the roster. Huge loss. Piss poor management decision.

6. They won't throw it to Beasley. He was a big part of last year's formula for success. This year he hasn't even been an afterthought. It's frustrating to watch.

7. Coaching staff's stubbornness and inability/refusal to adapt. This one is self explanatory. I could go on for days about the piss poor decision making of this coaching staff.

8. Piss poor catching ability of receivers. TWill's body catching hurt us badly today.

I counted 7 instances when Dez's man was off of him 10+ Yds, why can't Dak adjust the call to get Dez the ball on a short wr screen, or a quick out route, or a comeback? Minnesota Vikings use to make defenses pay with that type of coverage when Moss was around.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
There were plenty of threads calling for Dez to be traded and people screaming that he didn't know how to run routes when he first came here. This notion that him and Romo were just slicing it up right off the bat is pure fantasy.
Dez had arguably the best WR start to a career in nfl history.

But other than that....yeah Dez struggled in his early days.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Our serious problem is a coaching one. How did Witten and Beasley, our two key weapons last year, essentially turn into nobodies this year and NO real adjustments have been made? We're not outscheming our opponents. You can only outtalent them so long until you meet up with someone who has just as much talent as you. Then schemes come into play, and if theirs is better, they win.

I'm more upset about Beasley because Witten is on pace for 76 receptions. Beasley on the other hand is a great route runner and should be used to compliment our running game. I think on first downs especially after a run from Zeke we should be hitting Beasley with play action. I would be frustrated if I was him and it's all on Garrett/Linehan.

Zordon

Reaction score
They are obviously planning on paying Zack and possibly D-Law. You don't sign Leary when you have those obligations coming up and you have Collins waiting in the wings. C'mon man, I say this as someone who made more pro-Leary threads than anyone on CZ the last few years. You should still be able to develop Dak with 4 good to great linemen. I'm sick of Garrett hogging all the resources for his side of the ball. Whatever money saved on Leary should eventually be spend on this putrid defense.