Things That Make You Feel Old

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Walked into a convenience store earlier today and grabbed a drink. As I stroll up to the counter and set my drink down, I glance over and see their 'We Card' sign:

IF YOU WERE BORN
AFTER TODAY'S DATE IN
YOU CAN'T BUY ALCOHOL.

While I know this is not groundbreaking information, for some reason as I'm staring at it, it just really sunk in. I sat there in my moment, remembering being 21/22 back then, and it blows my mind how that much time has gone by already. Time really does fly and it seems to keep coming at me faster.

Enjoy your youth kids!!!

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Walked into a convenience store earlier today and grabbed a drink. As I stroll up to the counter and set my drink down, I glance over and see their 'We Card' sign:

IF YOU WERE BORN
AFTER TODAY'S DATE IN
YOU CAN'T BUY ALCOHOL.

While I know this is not groundbreaking information, for some reason as I'm staring at it, it just really sunk in. I sat there in my moment, remembering being 21/22 back then, and it blows my mind how that much time has gone by already. Time really does fly and it seems to keep coming at me faster.

Enjoy your youth kids!!!
No doubt about time flying. I actually got carded recently and I was pretty happy about it since I'm 51. I was like, really? How flattering.

The teenage son of a friend of mine was asking me about something a few years ago and I said I would email him the information. He gave me a weird look and said, "e-mail is for old people". Now that made me feel old.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No doubt about time flying. I actually got carded recently and I was pretty happy about it since I'm 51. I was like, really? How flattering.

The teenage son of a friend of mine was asking me about something a few years ago and I said I would email him the information. He gave me a weird look and said, "e-mail is for old people". Now that made me feel old.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no matter how old you look, they're still required to card you. Most people won't do it, but some are sticklers.
:muttley:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you see or hear something along the lines of this song or this movie is now this many years old or ago.

For example...when you see something in an article that says that Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out forty years ago.

Or Pink Floyds Dark side of the moon turns fifty this month.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
When you see or hear something along the lines of this song or this movie is now this many years old or ago.

For example...when you see something in an article that says that Fast Times at Ridgemont High came out forty years ago.

That's funny, I literally just read about an hour ago that Dark Side of the Moon turns 50 years old. That's insane!

Bigdog

Reaction score
When my kids asked me if I went out and was going to someone house how did I twll my parents? I said a pay phone and they asked what is that.
Kids who never heard of Dr. J
Kids who don’t know how to use a dictionary and ask why I didn’t just google the word. Told them we didn’t have google and the look on their faces is disbelief and asked how did we live back then.
These are just some of the things that make me feel old.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Probably the first time was years ago when I went to the dentist and the new hygienist was so damn young I would have guessed she was the the real hygienists high school aged daughter.

The dagger to the heart was the summer before last, on a walk in town with my dog, Solo. She always draws a ton of attention. A young man approached us, wanting to meet Solo. He asked about her name and I told him the story. I went on to say that I was in the process of coming up with a name for the puppy I was getting in a couple weeks. I bounced my leading candidate, Bonzo, off him and waited to see if he made the connection. He didn't, and asked me the reasoning behind it. I told him that, among other reasons, it was the nickname of John Bonham. He said "who"? I thought, ok, he's probably 17 years old so I can forgive him for maybe not knowing an iconic drummer, from in an iconic, superstar rock band from the 70's.

I went on the explain that he was the drummer for Zeppelin. He said, "who"?. I said, Led Zeppelin.

He said....... who? It was at that moment the full weight of being old came crashing down on top of me.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Or when one of your favorites from back in the day is now being used to sell prescription drugs.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
When my kids asked me if I went out and was going to someone house how did I twll my parents? I said a pay phone and they asked what is that.
Kids who never heard of Dr. J
Kids who don’t know how to use a dictionary and ask why I didn’t just google the word. Told them we didn’t have google and the look on their faces is disbelief and asked how did we live back then.
These are just some of the things that make me feel old.
Kids today will never have to write a twenty page "research paper" from a half page of information in the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble, but no matter how old you look, they're still required to card you. Most people won't do it, but some are sticklers.
:muttley:
Now wait a minute. What is more likely, that she seriously doubted that I was at least 21 or that she was following a legal protocol? Wait, don't answer that, burster of bubbles. :laugh:

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
All great answers in this thread. That same teenaged son of my friend didn't believe us when we were talking about phone books. He was like, "they really had everyone's phone number in there? Must have been a big book." Yeah, depending on where you lived, it was.

My own Stepdaughters were baffled by what I was doing when I was filling ice-cube trays after our icemaker broke. They had no idea what they were. All refrigerators just magically spew ice out of the door.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Probably the first time was years ago when I went to the dentist and the new hygienist was so damn young I would have guessed she was the the real hygienists high school aged daughter.

The dagger to the heart was the summer before last, on a walk in town with my dog, Solo. She always draws a ton of attention. A young man approached us, wanting to meet Solo. He asked about her name and I told him the story. I went on to say that I was in the process of coming up with a name for the puppy I was getting in a couple weeks. I bounced my leading candidate, Bonzo, off him and waited to see if he made the connection. He didn't, and asked me the reasoning behind it. I told him that, among other reasons, it was the nickname of John Bonham. He said "who"? I thought, ok, he's probably 17 years old so I can forgive him for maybe not knowing an iconic drummer, from in an iconic, superstar rock band from the 70's.

I went on the explain that he was the drummer for Zeppelin. He said, "who"?. I said, Led Zeppelin.

He said....... who? It was at that moment the full weight of being old came crashing down on top of me.
You should have told him they were the band Greta Van Fleet is trying to be.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
You should have told him they were the band Greta Van Fleet is trying to be.

Greta Van Fleet makes me angry. Mostly because the singer denies that they’re influenced by Led Zeppelin.

It’s like bro. YOU ARE TRYING TO BE ROBERT PLANT. I can SEE them in concert. He acts exactly like Robert Plant, on purpose. I can SEE you.

Honestly, there are some songs in GFV first record that if you told me were a long lost Led Zeppelin song, I might believe you.

And it’s sad because they’re all good musicians. The production and performances of their music is all pretty good. The singer is really good.

But it’s all imitation.

This girl I have a crush on loves Greta van Fleet. And you know my story, I don’t have a whole lot of options. But I can’t help but think if that’s the **** she listens to, what kind of woman is this?

Being influenced by another artist is not a sin. Especially referring to a band like Led Zeppelin, who, let’s say, “borrowed” a lot of music from their blues and rock contemporaries.

I don’t even know what the point of this post was. Freaking Greta Van Fleet..

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Greta Van Fleet makes me angry. Mostly because the singer denies that they’re influenced by Led Zeppelin.

It’s like bro. YOU ARE TRYING TO BE ROBERT PLANT. I can SEE them in concert. He acts exactly like Robert Plant, on purpose. I can SEE you.

Honestly, there are some songs in GFV first record that if you told me were a long lost Led Zeppelin song, I might believe you.

And it’s sad because they’re all good musicians. The production and performances of their music is all pretty good. The singer is really good.

But it’s all imitation.

This girl I have a crush on loves Greta van Fleet. And you know my story, I don’t have a whole lot of options. But I can’t help but think if that’s the **** she listens to, what kind of woman is this?

Being influenced by another artist is not a sin. Especially referring to a band like Led Zeppelin, who, let’s say, “borrowed” a lot of music from their blues and rock contemporaries.

Remember all that talk three or four years ago, next led Zeppelin etc LOL. I listen to a couple of their songs, I heard guitar lines note for note from mainly the Rover, and if memory serves correct The wanton song. And you are correct, the singer is using vocal inflections directly from Robert plant

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But it’s all imitation.

I'm with you, brother. I don't mind if they imitate the sound, as long as they admit it. I'm not familiar enough to know how adamantly they deny it, but they'd have to be absolute morons to think anyone would believe them.