Things That Make You Feel Old

kskboys

Reaction score
The Zoo was an awesome station. When ZZ Top released their Fandango album, they were going to do a show in Dallas and The Zoo had a contest, whoever sends in the "most Texas thing" wins two tickets to the show. When we heard this announced, my brother was drinking a Lone Star beer in a can. He slugged it down, crushed the can and mailed it in a big ol' envelope to the Zoo for the contest. He didn't win the tickets, but he did win a copy of the new Fandango album. I still have that album today.
If I'd have known about this contest, I'd have mailed them an armadillo!!!!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
That's important info you left out. How the hell was I supposed to know you are European.

People who drive around in cracker boxes shouldn't criticize anyone else's car.
LoL no offense intended here brother, this whole thread is supposed to be tongue in cheek a little, ain't it? :)

Europe did produce quite a few sh!t boxes and still does, no doubt about that. Just realized at some point that 80s cars from America all looked alike at some point. The sedans at least. Many of them rode like crap too. :muttley:Doesnt mean there weren't quite a few awesome ones.

Last edited:

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Ehm yes. My reply referred to the sentence I quoted. It was said that someone asked what was an Oldsmobile. So I assumed that someone was an American. And I said that very few Europeans know about Oldsmobile. And in my opinion, as an European, at a certain point in time (early 80s) all American cars kinda looked the same lol. :)

Well I don't mind. But I prefer talking directly to someone. I don't understand why people even try to text me about complex topics. If I break it up and call them, they react surprised most of the time but agree that we're faster talking about the issue. Texting is like a disease lol. Ok for short stuff as "you good?" but don't try to things longer than a sentence with me via text.

By the way, writing in a regular online forum seems to be a thing of the past. No kid I know under 25 does this lol.
A phone call is faster and to the point..texting is annoying unles if you trying to avoid a direct talk with someone

John813

Reaction score
Music, like others have posted is definitely a big sign. 80's is no longer 15-20 years ago.
Watching movies with payphones/before cellphones, minus the 2 foot long ones lol, in the films or answering machines.

Found some old AOL CD's and a tape rewinder at my parents house lol.

Seeing actors getting up into their 70's and 80's or reading obituaries who had their primes in their 30's/40's.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Me nodding along to almost everything people have said so far makes me feel part of the grown man club.

The radio station's description of your favorite music growing up as classics and "before the DJ's time" hits home. Someone else in the thread noted, you're angry until you do the actual math...oops, it did come out 30-40 years ago...humble pie is bitter as hell lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was driving up the BQE last Friday, noticing the Freedom Tower standing up above everything else in Lower Manhattan, and realized I couldn't remember what it looked like when the Twin Towers were there instead. Hard to believe that was almost 22 years ago.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I just turned 50. I got a card for my birthday that had wages, popular TV programs, movies, and events that happened in 1973 the year I was born. Obviously the prices of food, gas, and average income were all shocking but one thing really hit me. The World Trade center opened in 1973. That and all the grey hairs coursing through my beard confirmed I was old.

kskboys

Reaction score
For me it's drinking, I get a pretty good buzz and I'm hungover as hell the next day.
How to avoid hangovers:

#1: DO NOT go to bed drunk. Quit drinking a couple hours before bedtime. Take a walk.
#2: Before going to bed, take an alka seltzer, drink milk and eat bread or crackers.
#3: Hydrate while drinking.

Follow these steps, and your hangovers will go down to nothing.