Things that make you think

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If it's true that there are more dimensions that the four we know about (x, y, z, & time) and they are just curled up on themselves. (dimensions curled up as Calabi–Yau manifolds)

Does that mean a straight line isn't actually straight? :eek:o_O
200w.webp

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Xelda

Reaction score
If it's true that there are more dimensions that the four we know about (x, y, z, & time) and they are just curled up on themselves. (dimensions curled up as Calabi–Yau manifolds)

We will not have straight lines coming out of the closet on my watch! Straight lines will always be straight unless drawn on shapes. Example: a straight line on a ball will curve.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

This is interesting as in a sense. I think it just shows that curved space is proof that dimensions can be curled up.

It's trying to fathom what reality would look like if just one of those dimensions that are curled up. Became uncurled. I'm guessing it would be almost like it would be if you switched from having normal two eyes for 3D depth to having a fly's compound eyes which is like having hundreds of eyes looking all over the place!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is interesting as in a sense. I think it just shows that curved space is proof that dimensions can be curled up.

It's trying to fathom what reality would look like if just one of those dimensions that are curled up. Became uncurled. I'm guessing it would be almost like it would be if you switched from having normal two eyes for 3D depth to having a fly's compound eyes which is like having hundreds of eyes looking all over the place!
Could it be the key to multiple light year travel?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what the idea behind warp engines do. They warp space They squeeze a huge swath of space so when you move forward. You move a little bit, but once that squeezed space is no longer squeezed, that little bit you moved unfurls into light years distance.

This Star Trek nerd thanks you. :bow: I am saving this YouTube link for the next time someone (most likely my wife :rolleyes: ) asks me why a starship needs a 'bubble' :p because my past explanations suck. :(

nobody

Reaction score

It implies that it isn't technically just a line at all, straight or not. It's a shape with multiple dimensions.