Things that make you think

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
How do we know that we aren't in a curled-up dimension?

But we are! Based on latest version of string theory (M-theory to be precise) There are a total of eleven dimensions. Ten spatial dimensions, and one time dimension. Four of them are unfurled (x, y, z, & time) while the other seven are curled up in shapes described as Calabi–Yau manifolds! So, we exist in those several curled up dimensions too, but because they are so tightly curled up, we are unable to perceive them!

cowboyec

Reaction score
if Herschel Walker is never traded in '89...would the trio of Troy,Herschel and Michael have won a Super Bowl?

I think they would have....but the 3 in 4 probably not...but that trio I think wins atleast 1.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a train left Baltimore at 8:43 am, and was headed for Miami 1137 miles away at a rate of 73.849 kilometers/hour, and another train left Atlanta at 9:17 am, and was headed for El Paso 1243 kilometers away at a rate of 103.681 mph, which train would complete exactly 43.72415% of its trip first, and what time would it be?

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
But we are! Based on latest version of string theory (M-theory to be precise) There are a total of eleven dimensions. Ten spatial dimensions, and one time dimension. Four of them are unfurled (x, y, z, & time) while the other seven are curled up in shapes described as Calabi–Yau manifolds! So, we exist in those several curled up dimensions too, but because they are so tightly curled up, we are unable to perceive them!

That is assuming that M-theory is correct. It's fascinating stuff. It makes me want to go back and re-read Michio Kaku's book "Hyperspace." I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. Now I just have to figure out which friend I loaned it to.

jsb357

Reaction score
If a train left Baltimore at 8:43 am, and was headed for Miami 1137 miles away at a rate of 73.849 kilometers/hour, and another train left Atlanta at 9:17 am, and was headed for El Paso 1243 kilometers away at a rate of 13.681 mph, which train would complete exactly 43.72415% of its trip first, and what time would it be?

Miller Time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That is assuming that M-theory is correct. It's fascinating stuff. It makes me want to go back and re-read Michio Kaku's book "Hyperspace." I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. Now I just have to figure out which friend I loaned it to.
Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe is great book too. They even have it on Audible.com and occasionally put it on sale for just a few bucks.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So this theory would seem to eschew the concept of a multiverse, in which there is an infinite number of universes, and everything that could possibly happen, does happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If it's true that there are more dimensions that the four we know about (x, y, z, & time) and they are just curled up on themselves. (dimensions curled up as Calabi–Yau manifolds)

Does that mean a straight line isn't actually straight? :eek:o_O

Well, I mean technically, the line you draw, assuming you are on Earth is never straight. Curvature of the Earth insures that right? We don't really have to look any further then the dimensions we currently know, to answer that in the affirmative.

:D

GMO415

Reaction score
When Jerry and Jimmy parted ways.....
1994_NS_JIMMYJERRY_3078438.JPG

cowboyec

Reaction score
if what crashed at Roswell,NM in July of '47 was a "weather baloon"...then why did they announce the capture of a flying disc???
and wouldn't they know the difference since launchings of "weather baloons" sometimes occured at Roswell Air-Field???

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
So this theory would seem to eschew the concept of a multiverse, in which there is an infinite number of universes, and everything that could possibly happen, does happen.

Why is that? I think you can have eleven dimensions and a multiverse. The question with that is the holographic universe theory! OMG!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why is that? I think you can have eleven dimensions and a multiverse. The question with that is the holographic universe theory! OMG!
Each universe is in a dimension all its own, yes? And this theory only allows for eleven...or am I misunderstanding something?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Each universe is in a dimension all its own, yes? And this theory only allows for eleven...or am I misunderstanding something?

Well, my understanding would be that all the different multiverses each would have their own dimensions. For instance, if M-Theory is correct and another multiverse existed. It too would (or at least could) have it's own eleven dimensions.

Remember, a single dimension is one dimensional. If that multiverse had multi-dimensional space (ie, like 3D space) it would need many dimensions also and not solely existing in a single dimension.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, my understanding would be that all the different multiverses each would have their own dimensions. For instance, if M-Theory is correct and another multiverse existed. It too would (or at least could) have it's own eleven dimensions.

Remember, a single dimension is one dimensional. If that multiverse had multi-dimensional space (ie, like 3D space) it would need many dimensions also and not solely existing in a single dimension.
I see what you're saying, and I'm not discounting that possibility, I'm just thinking that each universe in the multiverse is a dimension unto itself, such as Evil Spock living in a different dimension.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My own theory as to the true danger of paradoxes is that, when something is impossible, yet exists, the only explanation is that it came from an alternate reality(dimension). Because our universe is finite, then when something enters our reality from another dimension, then some of our reality must leak into the other dimension to balance out. How many paradoxes can we endure before our reality becomes unrecognizable? This is why we must avoid paradoxes at all cost!