Things we should be learning from Pats

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Yeah, we try to copy them, but we try to copy their 2 TE sets and obsession w/ CB's. Here's some of the things that really make them successful.

1. Continuously draft OL and DL.
2. Make sure to have replacements in place for players who will want a huge salary.
3. Do the opposite of what most of the NFL is doing. This allows you to find useful players all over the draft. Belly's 3-4 wasn't everywhere, so he was getting players who fit his system all over the draft. When the NFL switched to the 3-4, Belly went back to the 4-3, so he's still finding useful players all over the draft. He was doing that 2 TE set, so when everyone started switching, he's now going for WR's and is using a pass catching RB profusely.
4. Even if they don't play more than half the time, make sure to have a huge dude for the middle, to put a stop to O's like the Rams. Stop that run up the middle, and it's going to be a bit more difficult.
5. Always have a good stout OL in place. Always.
6. Don't overpay players. It kills you pretty quick.

Anything I missed? I know, I know, it helps tremendously to have a top 5 all time HC and QB, I get that. And that's a huge part of why they win. However, there are other things that can be done.
7. The league is about what you can do for me now. If a player commands too much money compared to what he's worth to the team, let him walk and find a cheaper replacement.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Off topic, but I was listening to a podcast regarding man and zone coverages and is passrush more important than coverage.
The guy brought up an intresting point... The greatest football mind, his highest FA defensive expenditures have been the Top CB's of that year.
The guy also said, he thinks Billicheck drafted a rb in round 1 this year just to screw with the other teams. Patriots in no way needed to draft a rb with a 1st rounder.
Must have been an old pod cast or the speaker was confused. Patriots drafted a WR in the first this year. (2019) The 2018 draft was the year they took a RB.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Yeah, we try to copy them, but we try to copy their 2 TE sets and obsession w/ CB's. Here's some of the things that really make them successful.

And QB.

That's how they got Brady. And kept getting QBs who actually had careers in the league. Their draft history puts the lie to the idea that you have to get QBs in the 1st or 2nd round.

As does ours. Romo, Moore, Dak. Over a period of years where we never spent more than a 4th on a QB.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Coaching matters.

Good coaching really matters.
if the cowboys have success this year it will be because of the young coordinators and kitna will also be a big help for the last 8 years the cowboys have spit the bit with garrett and the gm took his play calling duties away from him

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
7. The league is about what you can do for me now. If a player commands too much money compared to what he's worth to the team, let him walk and find a cheaper replacement.
They go one better and anticipate that and make their moves. If they don't, Belichick doesn't play games with his players. He knew he wasn't going to pay Flowers what he could get on the open market so instead of playing games with him in a tag and trade, he just let him go do his deal. That's why players return to him like Jamie Collins and he will play better for Belichick than he did in CLE.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

2. Make sure to have replacements in place for players who will want a huge salary.
3. Do the opposite of what most of the NFL is doing. This allows you to find useful players all over the draft. Belly's 3-4 wasn't everywhere, so he was getting players who fit his system all over the draft. When the NFL switched to the 3-4, Belly went back to the 4-3, so he's still finding useful players all over the draft. He was doing that 2 TE set, so when everyone started switching, he's now going for WR's and is using a pass catching RB profusely.
4. Even if they don't play more than half the time, make sure to have a huge dude for the middle, to put a stop to O's like the Rams. Stop that run up the middle, and it's going to be a bit more difficult.
5. Always have a good stout OL in place. Always.
6. Don't overpay players. It kills you pretty quick.

Anything I missed? I know, I know, it helps tremendously to have a top 5 all time HC and QB, I get that. And that's a huge part of why they win. However, there are other things that can be done.
#2 and #6.....most teams don't have the wherewithal to part with homegrown stars. As the Cowboys will find out soon, you can't pay everybody and having a large core of players making top dollar will kill the talent across the roster.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Must have been an old pod cast or the speaker was confused. Patriots drafted a WR in the first this year. (2019) The 2018 draft was the year they took a RB.
N'Keal Harry and took the obligatory CB with their 2nd. It's like the 3 sure things, death, taxes and Belichick picking a DB, usually CB, in his top 3. And then he'll sign them in FA as well if he felt he missed.

He took Sony Michel last year with his first and featured him in the SB.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Hahahahahahahaha......I guess you think Tom Brady has always been a top 3 quarterback in the league lol........
The evidence would suggest that he was always top 3. Young guys need time to develop and Brady was no different. So Brady didn't light it up right out of the gate. How many second year QB's have thrown for over 5,000 yards?

Yes Brady numbers, in his second year, rivaled Dak's numbers in his second year. Let's just hope Dak's numbers can improve like Brady's. Because being top 3 all time requires growth.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#2 and #6.....most teams don't have the wherewithal to part with homegrown stars. As the Cowboys will find out soon, you can't pay everybody and having a large core of players making top dollar will kill the talent across the roster.
And they are dangerously close to that.

What's funny is everyone talks about emulating the Patriots but they aren't willing to do what he is and he has the hole card, himself and his staff. They have enough confidence to overcome mistakes they make with personnel. Do the Cowboys have that or must they be more dead on in that department? The Cowboys are more talent dependent than the Pats.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
WHEREWITHAL....What tha f@ck? :omg:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The evidence would suggest that he was always top 3. Young guys need time to develop and Brady was no different. So Brady didn't light it up right out of the gate. How many second year QB's have thrown for over 5,000 yards?

Yes Brady numbers, in his second year, rivaled Dak's numbers in his second year. Let's just hope Dak's numbers can improve like Brady's. Because being top 3 all time requires growth.
In one way, Brady and Prescott are very similar, they both understand the difference between QB and passer. Rodgers is a passer. Brees had to become QB. Mahomes is a passer. Marino never stopped being a passer and Elway had to learn to QB under Shanahan.

And I will take Dak's ability to make plays with his legs, the most underutilized part of his game. I can make a case that he's the best all around QB in the game right now that Alex Smith is out. If that element of his game is put to use it just magnifies the effect of his weapons.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
N'Keal Harry and took the obligatory CB with their 2nd. It's like the 3 sure things, death, taxes and Belichick picking a DB, usually CB, in his top 3. And then he'll sign them in FA as well if he felt he missed.

He took Sony Michel last year with his first and featured him in the SB.
Yeah. They're all of a sudden loaded on offense. Which is just plain scary.

But he brings in young DB's uses these guys up and let's them walk. That's savvy.

Big_D

Reaction score
I know the Pats are the benchmark, but this is not that team and Garrett is not that coach. There's talent here, but the decisions are night and day between these 2 franchises. Winning is more than talent, more than the draft. The Pats are as well run and well prepared as it gets.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
In one way, Brady and Prescott are very similar, they both understand the difference between QB and passer. Rodgers is a passer. Brees had to become QB. Mahomes is a passer. Marino never stopped being a passer and Elway had to learn to QB under Shanahan.

And I will take Dak's ability to make plays with his legs, the most underutilized part of his game. I can make a case that he's the best all around QB in the game right now that Alex Smith is out. If that element of his game is put to use it just magnifies the effect of his weapons.
Dak needs the steady defense and steady coaching that Brady has year end year out.

Big_D

Reaction score

All running QBs eventually stop running. It will happen to Dak too. His ability to run is a weapon right now, but for how long?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

That makes absolutely no sense. What evidence suggests that in 2002 Tom Brady was a top 3 player? He developed into the best quarterback in the league. He shared time with Drew Henson at Michigan for goodness sakes.

He was developed by one of the best coaches of all time if not the best. Give credit where its due.