Think a Lot of People Are Making Too Much of Sunday's Game

_sturt_

Reaction score
No one is making too much of Sunday's game.
Disagree (of course).

Just one example of many....

2023-12-09_12-21-25.png.720b4d386547dc502e24a23c6c13aeeb.png

CCBoy

Reaction score
This game:

Dak Prescott - 3 passing TD's
Tony Pollard: 75 yards rushing
CeeDeeLamb 125 yards receiving

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

"Think a lot of people are making too much of Sunday's game"​

It's not the SB or playoff game but it is the most important non playoff game of the year.

Toro9

Reaction score
Most of us make "too much" of every game because we're obsessed. It's kinda not even healthy but I'm hooked. I have an addictive personality on top of OCD

loublue22

Reaction score
I think a lot of the national narrative is driven by the idea that we would be in "first place" if we win, but not realizing we still don't control our own destiny in that situation.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Must win, no, ,,,but we definitely need to win this game for a lot of reasons.

Flamma

Reaction score
Disagree (of course).

Just one example of many....

2023-12-09_12-21-25.png.720b4d386547dc502e24a23c6c13aeeb.png
You can disagree all you want. It's my opinion that the Cowboys have zero chance at winning 3 games on the road in the playoffs. I don't think the Cowboys are good enough to do that. If you're one of those people that think just getting into the playoffs gives you a chance to win it all, good for you. I'm not one of them.

_sturt_

Reaction score
You can disagree all you want. It's my opinion that the Cowboys have zero chance at winning 3 games on the road in the playoffs. I don't think the Cowboys are good enough to do that. If you're one of those people that think just getting into the playoffs gives you a chance to win it all, good for you. I'm not one of them.
Objectively, yes, undeniably, if a team gets in the playoffs, then yes, the team has a chance to win it all.

It's not an opinion. It's how it is.

But let's put that aside and just think about the legitimately subjective assertion made... you don't think the Cowboys are good enough to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs. Okay. Let's even say we have a way of knowing that they cannot, not merely presuming they cannot.

Then, let's just stop the charade now. They're not good enough. Let's all go home, and look to the draft.

Me, I don't feign omniscience about any of it. And it's not just an attitude, there's logic behind that. The fallacy too regularly accepted by too many is this idea of a team being "good enough" as-if that is some static thing... that, if say a team rates a 7.3 out of 10 in Week 14, then they're going to be 7.3 the rest of the season...

Teams play in ranges, and we all otherwise know this, but we rarely talk as if we do.

So just to illustrate, if a team is capable of playing as bad as a 3.5 at their floor, but capable of playing as good as 9.5 at their ceiling, it's not even as if we can say that the average of 6.5 is telling, since that same team may never play a single game in which they play exactly at that middle level of performance... rather, they may perform in many of their games much closer to that 9.5, and only a couple nearer that 3.5.

Sound familiar? Because that kinda characterizes the outcomes so far this season.

To the point here, Cowboys' performances over the course of the year have affirmed they are capable of playing at a high level. And if that was to be still borne out in every remaining game except this Eagles game, it is not silly to believe that they would be able to perform at that high level in the playoffs in spite of having lost the SF game and two to PHI. The better team on one day is not necessarily the same better team a month later. And that's not even taking into account injuries, which clearly can always make big differences in performances.

So, don't misread what I'm saying... exactly what I'm saying is that this game tomorrow night will have a big bearing on the cerebral health of this team. It will be a boost, or it will be a challenge to overcome... but if we win, we still have to prove ourselves again next week anyhow and the week after that and the week after that and the week after that, and even the week after that. Regardless.

And if we lose... same.

Important game? Yes, absolutely.

Very important game? Yes, I think so.

"Vital"... "must win"...? Sorry, that's hyperbole... overstatement... it's just not.

rambo2

Reaction score
A victory against the Eagles opens the door for the number 1 spot.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think a lot of the national narrative is driven by the idea that we would be in "first place" if we win, but not realizing we still don't control our own destiny in that situation.
yea, the chirps are 3rd graders and starting into divivision and multiplication...

Flamma

Reaction score
Objectively, yes, undeniably, if a team gets in the playoffs, then yes, the team has a chance to win it all.

But let's put that aside and just think about the legitimately subjective assertion made... you don't think the Cowboys are good enough to win 3 games on the road in the playoffs. Okay. Let's even say we have a way of knowing that they cannot, not merely presuming they cannot.

Then, let's just stop the charade now. They're not good enough. Let's all go home, and look to the draft.

Me, I don't feign omniscience about any of it. And it's not just an attitude, there's logic behind that. The fallacy too regularly accepted by too many is this idea of a team being "good enough" as-if that is some static thing... that, if say a team rates a 7.3 out of 10 in Week 14, then they're going to be 7.3 the rest of the season...

Teams play in ranges, and we all otherwise know this, but we rarely talk as if we do.

So just to illustrate, if a team is capable of playing as bad as a 3.5 at their floor, but capable of playing as good as 9.5 at their ceiling, it's not even as if we can say that the average of 6.5 is telling, since that same team may never play a single game in which they play exactly at that middle level of performance... rather, they may perform in many of their games much closer to that 9.5, and only a couple nearer that 3.5.

Sound familiar? Because that kinda characterizes the outcomes so far this season.

To the point here, Cowboys' performances over the course of the year have affirmed they are capable of playing at a high level. And if that was to be still borne out in every remaining game except this Eagles game, it is not silly to believe that they would be able to perform at that high level in the playoffs in spite of having lost the SF game and two to PHI. The better team on one day is not necessarily the same better team a month later. And that's not even taking into account injuries, which clearly can always make big differences in performances.

So, don't misread what I'm saying... exactly what I'm saying is that this game tomorrow night will have a big bearing on the cerebral health of this team. It will be a boost, or it will be a challenge to overcome... but if we win, we still have to prove ourselves again next week anyhow and the week after that and the week after that and the week after that, and even the week after that. Regardless.

And if we lose... same.

"Vital"... "must win"...? Sorry, that's hyperbole... overstatement... it's just not.
Of course they have a chance to win it all when qualifying for the playoffs, the opinion is that they won't. Even thought the Giants and Seahawks made the playoffs last year, everyone in the country knew they weren't going to the SB. That's opinion. Sure they could go to the SB if the other teams forfeited. But by no other means.

As 5th seed the Cowboys are not going to the SB. Plain and simple. If you think they are, or could, then you'll suffer the most when they don't. I keep my expectations realistic.

kskboys

Reaction score

And if we lose... same.

If this is not a must win game, then there are none.

Soooooooooooooooo, let's get this straight. You started this thread specifically to argue semantics. Word usage.

Hyperbole is used in the NFL all the time. For instance, there's no such thing as a CB who shuts down half the field. There's no such thing as a "nose for the end zone". There's no such thing as "unblockable".

Hyperbole is a regular part of football talk.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
You have one of the best teams in the league and should beat the Eagles and you sit here pulling crap out your ***.
Really Dude????? I think someone needs a Cowboy win tonight some that their head doesn't implode................LOL!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

And if we lose... same.

Sometimes best to just man up and admit you were wrong.

Really worth drawing out an argument on this? NFC East and Playoff homefield/bye week implications at stake.

Cowboys win this game and pressure is on with PHI and SF that we are on their heels trying to seize that all important bye week or homefield advantage.

Even more important with our apparent homefield advantage now.

Cowboys need to win this game because of their schedule this year. We're like Miami and not proving we can beat strong teams.

Cowboys need to win this game because of their record the last 10-20 years. Always looking good but not great. Not champions who can seize the moment.

Or as Coach says, seize everything. Carpe Omnia. It's December and it's Playoff time. You won't find a single Ex-Player or Coach who doesn't think this is a VITAL game to win.

rambo2

Reaction score
Really Dude????? I think someone needs a Cowboy win tonight some that their head doesn't implode................LOL!
The Cowboys should win and that would give them the best record in the league.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Sometimes best to just man up and admit you were wrong.
I challenge any poster any time anywhere... don't talk to me like I don't have the intellectual humility to walk back something I said that, turned out, wasn't true. I have receipts. I'm not like a lot of posters who are hit and run, who use sports forums to attempt empty ego gratification.

And so, no, if I had been wrong, I would admit it.

Quote me, my friend, and show me exactly what I said that is inaccurate. It's not there. Mind you, you're free to have your opinion. I'm speaking objectively in my OP... and I'll repeat, there is no actual do-or-die result that will come out of tonight's game. Everything that we want to see this team achieve is still on the table. I was fair in my assessment. The only objective "unchangeable change" that can come out of the game is cognitive... our guys will either feel great about themselves, or they'll feel terrible.

I'll say it again. It's an important game. It's even a very important game. But a vital game, by definition, means the season rides on it. The season does not ride on this game. There will still be a lot to play for after tonight... win or lose.