Think a Lot of People Are Making Too Much of Sunday's Game

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I challenge any poster any time anywhere... don't talk to me like I don't have the intellectual humility to walk back something I said that, turned out, wasn't true. I have receipts. I'm not like a lot of posters who are hit and run, who use sports forums to attempt empty ego gratification.

And so, no, if I had been wrong, I would admit it.

Quote me, my friend, and show me exactly what I said that is inaccurate. It's not there. Mind you, you're free to have your opinion. I'm speaking objectively in my OP... and I'll repeat, there is no actual do-or-die result that will come out of tonight's game. Everything that we want to see this team achieve is still on the table. I was fair in my assessment. The only objective "unchangeable change" that can come out of the game is cognitive... our guys will either feel great about themselves, or they'll feel terrible.

I'll say it again. It's an important game. It's even a very important game. But a vital game, by definition, means the season rides on it. The season does not ride on this game. There will still be a lot to play for after tonight... win or lose.
Yes, it's vital to get homefield advantage and/or a bye week. And still may not happen with a win, but definitely won't happen with a loss.

Did you know that other than the Super Bowl, Patrick Mahomes has never played an away game in the Playoffs?

Just ask Troy and the 90's Team how much it helped them with their SB runs.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Now you're just begin stubborn @VaqueroTD. Vital means vital. We call them "vital" signs because they pertain to your very capacity to continue to live.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score

"Think a lot of people are making too much of Sunday's game"​

It's not the SB or playoff game but it is the most important non playoff game of the year.
But it will lose importance if the Cowboys don't continue to take care of business the rest of the way. I think this is the point the OP is trying to make.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
i know this game can be over hyped but very little window for that because if this team wants to prove it can win when it counts, it needs to do it now. we had enough of beating up the little guys, about time we beat up a contender

TheHerd

Reaction score
i know this game can be over hyped but very little window for that because if this team wants to prove it can win when it counts, it needs to do it now. we had enough of beating up the little guys, about time we beat up a contender
Agree with this. This game may mean nothing in terms of positioning, but it is a confidence game.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's an important game. More important than most. And against an arch rival.

But... soberly speaking... it's important mainly for what the result says to the team members about their capacity to win an important game. It's a confidence booster, or it's a confidence crusher.

And on the other hand, it does not mean we're not going to play in post season. It does not mean there is no path to a Super Bowl. The ultimate prize still is attainable. The consequences of losing are almost entirely cerebral... in the players' heads. The consequences of winning are largely that, though with the caveat that a better shot at post season home field advantage is on the radar.

Here's the thing. If we lose this one, and win out the rest of the schedule, the PHI game will mostly resonate a month from now as the SF game resonates right now... you shake your head, but you also recognize the other side of the ledger gives a lot of reason for hope. And if we win this one, the gauntlet in front of us doesn't go away. We still have to go to Buffalo, still have to go to Miami, and still have to play Detroit, and having beaten PHI won't allow us to start any of those games spotted even a 1 point lead.

Everything, in other words, will still matter. Win or lose.
Pre-emptive cope.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I hope @_sturt_ enjoyed this meaningless game
Lie.

Look, friend, feel free to disagree with whatever, whenever, but at least have the integrity and kahunas as a man to not mischaracterize what the person you're disagreeing with actually said.

In fact, the very decision to lie is evidence that it's too important to you... you want to win a disagreement, and you'll go so far as to regurgitate the words "very important game," and the vomit that comes back up pretends the other person said "meaningless."

I'll tell you what that is... that's immaturity... the very thing you wanted to cast upon me, disparagement, you unwittingly end up wearing for yourself.

Maverick84

Reaction score
Lie.

Look, friend, feel free to disagree with whatever, whenever, but at least have the integrity and kahunas as a man to not mischaracterize what the person you're disagreeing with actually said.

In fact, the very decision to lie is evidence that it's too important to you... you want to win a disagreement, and you'll go so far as to regurgitate the words "very important game," and the vomit that comes back up pretends the other person said "meaningless."

I'll tell you what that is... that's immaturity... the very thing you wanted to cast upon me, disparagement, you unwittingly end up wearing for yourself.
I will never shirk responsibility for my immaturity nor will I shed that coat anytime soon.

That being said, your usage of the word "kahunas" in place of "cojones" is egregious beyond belief, and I will be reporting you to the proper authorities to include the CowboysZone mods, the FBI, Garo Yepremian, Pat Robertson and all other televangelists, etc

_sturt_

Reaction score
I will never shirk responsibility for my immaturity nor will I shed that coat anytime soon.

That being said, your usage of the word "kahunas" in place of "cojones" is egregious beyond belief, and I will be reporting you to the proper authorities to include the CowboysZone mods, the FBI, Garo Yepremian, Pat Robertson and all other televangelists, etc
In the same spirit as "very important game" translates to "meaningless"...

I take that as...

"I'm sorry, and it will never happen again."

Apology accepted. ;)

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
For me it was not just one game. It was a definition of who this team is. Or rather now is. It really seems like they are different from even what they were in the beginning of the season.

Yes, it was that important. Just imo of course. January is still the one and only yardstick, but that was one hell of a silver lining compared to what we saw over the last couple of years.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do you remember the 1-15 year? Losing all of those games; yet beating a hated rival, was well worth it. Of course it wasn't the Superbowl, but we beat the brakes off of a hated rival. How bout dem Cowboyz?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Do you remember the 1-15 year? Losing all of those games; yet beating a hated rival, was well worth it. Of course it wasn't the Superbowl, but we beat the brakes off of a hated rival. How bout dem Cowboyz?
If I recall, weren't they undefeated late in the season when we beat them? That made the Victory that much sweeter.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
For me it was not just one game. It was a definition of who this team is. Or rather now is. It really seems like they are different from even what they were in the beginning of the season.

Yes, it was that important. Just imo of course. January is still the one and only yardstick, but that was one hell of a silver lining compared to what we saw over the last couple of years.
Yep, it's important because we're winning, I dont even think the race to the No.1/2 seeding is the most important aspect, it's the confidence we're building. Playing like this I dare say we could still go deep in the play-offs with an away route.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Yep, it's important because we're winning, I dont even think the race to the No.1/2 seeding is the most important aspect, it's the confidence we're building. Playing like this I dare say we could still go deep in the play-offs with an away route.
I agree. They have beaten a contender now (finally!) and that's where we stand. Still alot of the regular season left but just like you I don't see the #1 seed as back breaker in case we miss it.