This defense is special

Big_D

Reaction score
You obviously weren’t around to see the 90’s defense. This defense brings much more pressure than they did on their best days. Don’t get me wrong, the 90’s defense was great. But they only had Charles Haley. The 90’s Super Bowls were won with the likes of Troy, Emmitt, Irvin, Johnson, Novachek, Larry Allen, Big Nate, Erik Williams, Tuinei and others.

only had Charles Haley? Jeffcoat and Tolbert both had more sacks in 92 and 93. Defense was stout across the board. Haley was certainly instrumental, but there was a lot more on that line.

Reactions: BAT

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
only had Charles Haley? Jeffcoat and Tolbert both had more sacks in 92 and 93. Defense was stout across the board. Haley was certainly instrumental, but there was a lot more on that line.
Once Haley came onboard that defense took off.

Big_D

Reaction score
Once Haley came onboard that defense took off.

they drafted a slew of players in both 91 and 92. It wasn’t just the addition of Haley. He was an important puzzle piece, but so were the draftees who weren’t ready before that Super Bowl season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
they drafted a slew of players in both 91 and 92. It wasn’t just the addition of Haley. He was an important puzzle piece, but so were the draftees who weren’t ready before that Super Bowl season.
Of course they had some good players but that defense didn’t start dominating until Haley showed. Up I watched every game before and after.

stuckindc

Reaction score
Russell Maryland.

Big_D

Reaction score
Of course they had some good players but that defense didn’t start dominating until Haley showed. Up I watched every game before and after.

if you were watching then you’d know they got Casillas in 90, Lett and Maryland in 91, Hennings, Woodson, Kevin Smith and Charles Haley in 92. It wasn’t just the addition of 1 player. I watched every game also and neither side of the ball was ready to win championships in 91. In 92 a lot of guys showed up.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
if you were watching then you’d know they got Casillas in 90, Lett and Maryland in 91, Hennings, Woodson, Kevin Smith and Charles Haley in 92. It wasn’t just the addition of 1 player. I watched every game also and neither side of the ball was ready to win championships in 91. In 92 a lot of guys showed up.
Haley was the missing piece. I remember saying we don’t win that Super Bowl without Haley allowing them to get there.

Reactions: BAT

windjc

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a Cowboys defense play this well since Doomsday. They’re playing even better than the 90’s defense so far. It’s only been 3 games so the jury is still out, but if they keep this up this team is going a long way.

I hate to be a debbie downer, but this defense is not elite. It's a top 10 defense. It will get a lot of sacks and pressures and its fair share of turnovers. But all elite defenses can stop the run and Dallas is AVERAGE at stopping the run. Tampa Bay, San Francisco, & Denver can all stop the run.

You just can't hold a team to 0-10 points consistently if you can only stop the pass, because teams will be able to move the ball on you. Dallas will be ok at holding teams to 14-24 points, but that isn't winning you a superbowl. Not with an average offense.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I hate to be a debbie downer, but this defense is not elite. It's a top 10 defense. It will get a lot of sacks and pressures and its fair share of turnovers. But all elite defenses can stop the run and Dallas is AVERAGE at stopping the run. Tampa Bay, San Francisco, & Denver can all stop the run.

You just can't hold a team to 0-10 points consistently if you can only stop the pass, because teams will be able to move the ball on you. Dallas will be ok at holding teams to 14-24 points, but that isn't winning you a superbowl. Not with an average offense.
You’re entitled to your opinion. They’re elite in my opinion.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Jimmy was a personnel animal. He'd bring them in by the busload and send them home bythe busload.
The important thing with Jimmy was to NOT BE AFRAID TO ADMIT MISTAKES IN DRAFTING, OR TRADES.
Blimey!
Jerry never learned tha crucial side to personnel decisions.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I saw the great defenses of the early 80's and the 90's SB defense, this defense brings more pressure than both including with Charles Haley.

They're not as deep yet but they bring it fast

Toro9

Reaction score
They are. I honestly don't remember a better defense all around for this organization. But I also don't remember us having good safety play in a long time.