This defense is special

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I haven’t seen a Cowboys defense play this well since Doomsday. They’re playing even better than the 90’s defense so far. It’s only been 3 games so the jury is still out, but if they keep this up this team is going a long way.

I wouldn't say better than the '90s since we had the No. 1 defense back then with lots of depth, but so far, so good. We've got some good offenses coming up to test it (well, not the Commodores').

Reactions: BAT

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I wouldn't say better than the '90s since we had the No. 1 defense back then with lots of depth, but so far, so good. We've got some good offenses coming up to test it (well, not the Commodores').
As far as bringing pressure to the QB, this team is better than the Charles Haley led defenses.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kearse was easily one of our best defenders last year, but we haven't really skipped a beat without him. I'm a little shccked by that. Hopefully, it means we can take it up even another notch when he returns.

DQ certainly thinks so.

Inferring that Cowboys D will take it up a notch when Kearse returns.

gimmesix

Reaction score
As far as bringing pressure to the QB, this team is better than the Charles Haley led defenses.

The 1994 team had 47 sacks. The 1992 team had 44. We'll see where this one ends up. But pressure isn't everything. The 2008 defense had 59 sacks (third-most in team history) and wasn't as good as those 1990s team, although I'm sure someone thought it was.

I'm pleased with how our defense is playing, but I'm not close to ready to consider it better than defenses that finished at the top of the league. The 1993 defense was fifth in points allowed at 15.2 per game, first in total yards allowed, first in first downs allowed. It was top five in eight categories.

gimmesix

Reaction score
DQ certainly thinks so.

Inferring that Cowboys D will take it up a notch when Kearse returns.

He certainly really likes Kearse. Can't wait to see that and possibly improvement from players like Williams. This defense may not be at its apex yet.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He certainly really likes Kearse. Can't wait to see that and possibly improvement from players like Williams. This defense may not be at its apex yet.

Jeff Cavanaugh has mentioned on his podcasts and TL that Kearse is the surest tackler on Cowboys defense.

Not to mention the smartest and one of the most versatile.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Looking forward to Micah getting back to 100% next week.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I know Micah gets major props for plowing over the guard, but the role Lawrence played shouldn't be overlooked. He and Parson timed it so they double-whammed the guard to get him off-balance so Micah could run him over. Lawrence didn't even end up rushing. He was just there to help set it up for Parsons.

Those are things a lot of fans don't take into account when tallying pressures and sacks.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Diggs still making plays in 2022.

Playmakers. That’s what we have been missing. Nice to have it back!

Thanks for posting the coaching clinic clips. All great stuff.

Been a while since I’ve had this much fun watching our defense!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I know Micah gets major props for plowing over the guard, but the role Lawrence played shouldn't be overlooked. He and Parson timed it so they double-whammed the guard to get him off-balance so Micah could run him over. Lawrence didn't even end up rushing. He was just there to help set it up for Parsons.

Those are things a lot of fans don't take into account when tallying pressures and sacks.

Parsons concurs.