This defense still has a ways to go. Pass defense is killing us

Creeper

Reaction score
I am in agreement to a point. They give up a lot of chunk plays. Too many, especially on 3rd down. That 4th and 8 that went for 55 yards was pretty awful too.

I see holes in this defense and it is just a matter of time before someone exploits them. They running defense, is not as good as the stats indicate. RBs are gashing them for a lot of 10+ yard runs.

I do think this is partly the losses of Lawrence and Gallimore. I think they will tight it up a little bit when they return. Golston looks like he may be pretty good next year but right now he is inconsistent.

But I also see too many receivers wide open, especially TEs and RBs. What happens when teams learn to stop challenging Diggs and go after everyone else? Stone Hands Anthony Brown, who dropped an easy INT that would have sealed the game for Dallas, is not going to become a turnover machine if they start picking on him.

On the plus side, I see signs Malik Hooker is starting to shake off the rust. He is still a step away from he is getting there.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I hope so coz every coor look for mismatches .........we can only hide Brown for so long. Can you imagine being Rogers or Mahomes knowing we're trying to hide him.........I can see them laughing their azzes off saying, we'll sniff him out:lmao2:
Could always play Diggs in man coverage and roll up the safety over Brown's guy

Mr_437

Reaction score
When they limit those big chunk plays they give up way too often...this defense will be ok.

cristglo

Reaction score
Hawk great post and great point-outs.
Were talking about making an SB run then you cannot ignore this. This is something that needs to be fixed to put us over the top.
If anyone wasn't worried that Carolina could come back and beat us I don't think they are being honest. Off hadn't really done anything since the 3rd Qtr whopping. Remember the Bills came back and beat Houston. How can we forget the SB ATL team letting the Pats come back?
I think we went into pre-vent too soon and should have kept the hammer down. Ok, so it happened right but remember GB and a few other teams that came back to beat us.
Something I feel needs to be fixed is those 3rd and long conversions Cant let teams with a great QB get that type of conversions.
I'm hoping that after the bye if we stay healthy some of these things can be fixed. Let's not fool ourselves Brown had a decent game but he is a weak spot. Will Bossman be the answer? Not sure of that either he's been hurt and in pre-season it wasn't like he was lighting the world on fire. The good part is that our DL hasn't been 100% since the season started and we've still been getting pressure on the QB's turn those into sacks and it will hide some of our DB's play.
One thing is clear this is Not the Cowboys of old.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys nearly lost to Carolina???
Lololol

somebody tell me about the new 10 point play the nfl instituted that I’m not familiar with
If you catch a TD one handed during a 360 degree spin, thats 8 points. 9 with XP and 10 with two point conversion

You also have to call it first. Doesn't count if you dont call it

Reactions: JBS

Flamma

Reaction score
All defenses are trash and will give up big plays. Especially on a team that scores a lot like Dallas.

Other teams will make our defense look bad some weeks because that’s how the league is built.

Yep. The days of two high powered 10-1 teams playing to a 7 - 3 final is over with the 80s and 90s. An unintended consequence of the salary cap.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
And then you read the thread topics and content and know this is a garbage take.
I said this tongue in cheek. Of course it is allowed, but mentioning things that did not go well on the way to victory is often shouted down on this board. I've been around a long time. And I love it when we win. But just because I notice things like "giving up chunk plays" during a victory, does not mean I did not enjoy the win. And quite often, you are accused of being a grouch if you discuss such things after a victory.

RonWashington

Reaction score
what is letting them in the game? They never had a chance to do anything. Just bc you get scared doesn’t mean the game is out of hand.

If the Pokes with around 4 mins and change don’t get first downs and had to punt then Carolina down 8 gets the ball back. Down 36-14 this should never have happened. But it did. This goes back to McCarthys obsession with 2 point conversions earlier in the game .

Kick your extra point later on they end up being crucial . Carolina would have been down 9 at the end. If things had played out or you would have forced Carolina into going for two earlier. That and some clock management and challenging the Zeke Elliott non first down. Would like to see better decisions from the guy that’s all.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The posters who thinks this defense doesn't have question marks are wearing their rose colored glasses to bed at night.

Stats don't lie. If a team is putting up yardage because our defense relaxed...then what the hell is our defense doing relaxing? Excuses only explain, they don't excuse.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Those who think the run defense is fixed get ready for Saquon and Daniel Jones. Garrett likes the read option. Given how even AB has had chances for INTs if he could catch, I expect Garrett to run Jones and Saquon as long as he can.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm much more concerned with stopping the run. Dallas is the 2nd worst team in the NFL in yards allowed. While yards isn't a complete story, we can't assume we'll get 2 turnovers every game. This is why a run stopping D-line is essential and we've struggled for years. This is why big, fat and nasty DT's are important and why players like Lawrence are special.
Later in the season when the weather is sloppy and when we (hopefully) play playoffs teams, is when you need to shut it down. We haven't been able to and in my opinion, that will be what makes us or breaks us.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The level of turnovers we are getting is unsustainable. At some point you need to tighten up the defense or you're going to get smoked.
Agreed. Although I support a couple of turnovers every game, lol.