This defense still has a ways to go. Pass defense is killing us

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe -- we are middle of the pack in points allowed. There is a lot of room for improvement, and I just don't know if you can count on getting turnovers every week. I hope that continues.

Excellent point

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What’s so hard to understand about this?
We let it get to close!
Why is it so hard for you to understand this? If we don’t get 3 first downs to end the game, Carolina gets the ball back with a chance to tie the game. Our pass D must get better.

Gilmore replacing Brown could have been a game changer this year!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Its the DQ effect, let teams have their will against us in the 4th after were blowing them away until the score becomes respectable and looks a lot closer than it should have. Opposing teams rack up huge passing yards with big gains next thing we know they drove the length of the football field in under 2 minutes....Philly and Carolina game were the same in the 4th. We had them down
and we let their offense start clicking, gaining huge yards and scoring easily...In the Carolina game, we allowed them to get within 8 pts with about 4 minutes left in game....they had the momentum. If it weren't for them using up all their time outs they might have tied the game...lucky for us our offense was very good. Had me worried for nothing. I dont care how many we are up, if we don't play till the end, its going to come back and bite us.....at the wrong time....AKA....Super Bowl with Atlanta or in the playoffs...

The Nolan Effect was much much worse.

The D is work in progress, even DQ will admit to this.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The Nolan Effect was much much worse.

The D is work in progress, even DQ will admit to this.

Actually said as much last week.........admitted we still have a lot of improvement

Reactions: BAT

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
It was garbage time and they played soft coverage. Sure missing Diggs will hurt but they aren't as bad as it looks because of soft coverage
It wasn’t garbage time and our pass D has been pretty bad. 31st in the league is bad. To many broken coverages. Brown is to inconsistent.

I wish Jerry would have went all in to get Gilmore( see Charles Haley move ). Can you say Super Bowl winning move!!

conner01

Reaction score
The pass defense will always need to improve because they will always be at a disadvantage.

The NFL wants it that way and a lot of you just haven’t come to terms with that yet.

Fantasy football drives real life football.
That is so true
Teams will move the ball but one great thing about this defense so far is it has created enough pressure and turn overs to negate the effectiveness of many drives
A sack can stop a drive, a turn over ends a drive
You can’t expect to keep getting turn overs at the rate we have but I think the pass rush can get even better. Much of the pass rush is young guys still learning and growing as players
Guy like Golston, osa and even parsons will get better and that could be huge

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree the pass defense still needs to improve
I would argue the run defense too
We have a high rated run defense because our offense has forced teams to abandon the run with a lot of help from the defensive turn overs
You can’t expect 2-3 turn overs a week
We are playing much better than last year but there is certainly room for improvement if the goal is the super bowl
How can some fans not understand this?
Also we have WAY to many broken coverages. That needs to change fast.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stats don't tell the entire picture here. Teams are getting tons of yards passing cause Dallas is getting big leads in 2nd half and going away from the run game.

Points per game is also misleading, for example, against Carolina Dallas had a 22 point lead in the 4th quarter and played some backups and Carolina scored 2 TDs. Against Philly the offense gave 7 on a fumble in the endzone and again gave up a garbage TD in the 4th. That's 28 points that either the offense or defense gave away freely.
Is this kinda what we did last year?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That is so true
Teams will move the ball but one great thing about this defense so far is it has created enough pressure and turn overs to negate the effectiveness of many drives
A sack can stop a drive, a turn over ends a drive
You can’t expect to keep getting turn overs at the rate we have but I think the pass rush can get even better. Much of the pass rush is young guys still learning and growing as players
Guy like Golston, osa and even parsons will get better and that could be huge

If we keep building leads than offenses will have to eventually throw downfield and not use the quick passing game as much and when that happens Parsons can tee off on the QB and turnovers and sacks will follow.

Carolina was in that game the other day until our offense took and lead and that’s when the fun began for everyone.

conner01

Reaction score
How can some fans not understand this?
Also we have WAY to many broken coverages. That needs to change fast.
Some fans take any talk of getting better as criticism
And it’s not meant that way by many fans. Some I guess it is but for me it’s just about getting better and better. Any weakness you have will get exploited by teams so as a team you have to keep finding any weakness and improving it
This defense is so much better than we’ve had but it too can get better

Cowboyny

Reaction score
So far, with the exception of turnover ratio (ranking 1st) we've flip from one of 2020 worst defensive rankings to another one for 2021. In other words, last season we had the league's worst rushing defense ( dead last) and spent the offseason hell-bent on fixing it. The good news is it so far this season, we are ranked 6th rushing yards allowed BUT the bad news, we are dead last passing defense ( 31st ). That is, 31st in total passing yards allowed and passing yards allowed per game.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

Not trying to be negative Nancy here but a couple of things to keep in mind.....

• Quinn is a former Dline coach
  • We are 16th in points allowed per game. IF we can improve this to at least top 10, the 31st yards ranking issue won't matter much. Why? As Belichick says ( many here know I've repeated this a 1000 times) only two defensive stats really impacts the game, turnover ratio and scoring defense ( keeping points off the board).
  • What happens if we don't fix the passing yard issue? Look no further than the Panthers letting them back in the game and nearly lost. This has been an issue with his defenses, giving up points late in games
  • Also, teams with a good QB AND Oline can put up a lot of points, especially late in the game when your D is tired.
  • On January 22, 2017, Quinn's Falcons won the NFC Championship against the Green Bay Packers 44–21, clinching a berth to play in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots.[15] Up 21–3 at halftime and 28–3 in the third quarter, the Falcons blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history and lost the game in overtime by a score of 34–28.[16][17]

I have been saying, defense needs Cox/Joseph to make an impact and some of our injured starters to return. To be fair, they gave up a ton of yards against both Philly/Carolina late (garbage time) which affects their rankings.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
So far, with the exception of turnover ratio (ranking 1st) we've flip from one of 2020 worst defensive rankings to another one for 2021. In other words, last season we had the league's worst rushing defense ( dead last) and spent the offseason hell-bent on fixing it. The good news is it so far this season, we are ranked 6th rushing yards allowed BUT the bad news, we are dead last passing defense ( 31st ). That is, 31st in total passing yards allowed and passing yards allowed per game.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

Not trying to be negative Nancy here but a couple of things to keep in mind.....

• Quinn is a former Dline coach
  • We are 16th in points allowed per game. IF we can improve this to at least top 10, the 31st yards ranking issue won't matter much. Why? As Belichick says ( many here know I've repeated this a 1000 times) only two defensive stats really impacts the game, turnover ratio and scoring defense ( keeping points off the board).
  • What happens if we don't fix the passing yard issue? Look no further than the Panthers letting them back in the game and nearly lost. This has been an issue with his defenses, giving up points late in games
  • Also, teams with a good QB AND Oline can put up a lot of points, especially late in the game when your D is tired.
  • On January 22, 2017, Quinn's Falcons won the NFC Championship against the Green Bay Packers 44–21, clinching a berth to play in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots.[15] Up 21–3 at halftime and 28–3 in the third quarter, the Falcons blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history and lost the game in overtime by a score of 34–28.[16][17]

I went back and watched the game again. Diggs and Brown was burned for big gains. Yes, Diggs came up with two big INTs but he gave up some big plays too, same with Brown. Now, to be fair to them, because I don't pretend to know the defensive alignments and their calls, so maybe they was playing zone and it wasn't their fault for the Panthers receivers getting open. I know one case it was Hooker's fault because you could tell by his reaction after the play.

Hopefully we get this squared away because I am getting worried about our pass defense. If Daniel Jones goes off this Sunday I will definitely go in panic mode. Lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's these kinds of small issues I'm talking about we need to clean.........guaranteed you every OC in the league has this stat on Brown
Heard Joseph is getting close, it's just a matter of time we will see him back on the active roster. I don't see a large role right away, but could have one later in the season.