This defense still has a ways to go. Pass defense is killing us

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Heard Joseph is getting close, it's just a matter of time we will see him back on the active roster. I don't see a large role right away, but could have one later in the season.

I hope so coz every coor look for mismatches .........we can only hide Brown for so long. Can you imagine being Rogers or Mahomes knowing we're trying to hide him.........I can see them laughing their azzes off saying, we'll sniff him out:lmao2:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
Remember Zeke's post-game comment about choking opponents.

So Zeke was talking about the defense or the fact that the offense did absolutely nothing in the fourth quarter. I believe they didn’t even get a first down, something like three 3 and outs. Could be wrong with the actual stats, but either way Zeke’s comment could have as easily be meant towards the offense.

RicKospia

Reaction score
You are looking at simplistic stats............. just yards.

Football Outsiders is an advanced stat. DVOA takes into account a variety of stats and factors in an attempt to give a more accurate ranking.
Yards & points are what I look at .

SackMaster

Reaction score
LOL ......the title is overreacting a bit on my part, for that I apologize but still doesn't change the improvement our pass defense needs to make for us truly become a playoff contender.
I don't disagree that the D, both run and passing, needs to continue improving. It has gotten better, but maybe not where it should be yet.

I think where we do disagree is how soon should that happen? I think in most circumstances with a new coordinator, it takes a while. Yet you after week 4 of 17 creates a thread that seems to be "sounding the alarms" and predicting playoff failure in Early October.

I also take into account that we haven't even seen our complete and full defensive roster, we have a lot of young players that are showing real promise and should continue to improve as the year goes on. Plus we even made an "addition by subtraction" move this week as well.

So I am willing to give DQ some more time to continue to make improvements (he says they are not there yet either) and hope that those improvements bear fruit. He's dang near produced a miracle on D for the first quarter of the season and he seems to have the defense heading in the right direction.

After last year, I think that is fair.
:thumbup:

Cydios

Reaction score
I think we're more in the middle. Alot of those yards are through trash time where we're protecting the sidelines and not the center. Still need work though.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I don't disagree that the D, both run and passing, needs to continue improving. It has gotten better, but maybe not where it should be yet.

I think where we do disagree is how soon should that happen? I think in most circumstances with a new coordinator, it takes a while. Yet you after week 4 of 17 creates a thread that seems to be "sounding the alarms" and predicting playoff failure in Early October.

I also take into account that we haven't even seen our complete and full defensive roster, we have a lot of young players that are showing real promise and should continue to improve as the year goes on. Plus we even made an "addition by subtraction" move this week as well.

So I am willing to give DQ some more time to continue to make improvements (he says they are not there yet either) and hope that those improvements bear fruit. He's dang near produced a miracle on D for the first quarter of the season and he seems to have the defense heading in the right direction.

After last year, I think that is fair.
:thumbup:

Maybe the OP should listen to DQ’s pressers. He is absolutely saying there needs to be improvements while complimenting them. It’s FOUR games into a new scheme and WITHOUT all complimentary pieces. What the OP states was what most if not all of us has seen over the best four games. A new defense that is playing well in some areas but not so well in others but with a whole season to grew as a unit!

ondaedg

Reaction score
How can pass defense be killing the Cowboys when they are one play away from being undefeated?

The bottom line is points scored and there are two ways a defense can prevent it. Either they stop the opponent on their drive or they take the ball away. I'm in favor of the latter.

Most agreed that if the defense could elevate themselves to being average after last season then the offense could do the rest. Now here they are 16th ranked in allowing points and it is "killing us"?

Nobody disagrees that this defense has a long way to go with respect to being a top 5 defense but we should be pleased with the progress after 4 games. They are no longer the liability that prevents the team from being successful. It's way to early to discuss, but it should be noted that the current rookies will enter their 2nd season in 2022 as the players expected to breakout.

A few rookies are really exceeding expectations and the temptation is to place the same expectations on the rest of them. That is unrealistic. However, we should have every reason to expect vast improvement from the 2nd year defensive players. Diggs has fulfilled that expectation wonderfully. Anae is beginning to contribute and I expect Gallimore to make his statement once he enters the field.

Meanwhile , we can expect incremental improvement from all as the season progresses.

Good thoughts. The thing is you can’t count on being a takeaway juggernaut every single week and especially against the best QBs in the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers throws INTs about as often as I run 4.4 40s which is pretty much never. That is why this defense has to stiffen up and start getting stops.

And I realize going from one of the worst defenses in league history to the 2000 Ravens isn’t going to happen but if we can get to an average D yardage wise it would be a huge improvement.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I think everyone is making to much out of this thread.

I think the OP was just saying to get a championship the defense needs to get better.

It's true ....... As great as our team has looked they need to be even better to win a championship.

The 1993 Dallas Cowboys looked more dominant in the Superbowl than at any other time that year.

Keep getting better and improve every game ...... The OP is right and there is nothing wrong with saying it.

Big_D

Reaction score
I think everyone is making to much out of this thread.

I think the OP was just saying to get a championship the defense needs to get better.

It's true ....... As great as our team has looked they need to be even better to win a championship.

The 1993 Dallas Cowboys looked more dominant in the Superbowl than at any other time that year.

Keep getting better and improve every game ...... The OP is right and there is nothing wrong with saying it.

Some don’t want to accept that this process takes time. Even that 92/93 team. They weren’t Super Bowl ready overnight.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Some don’t want to accept that this process takes time. Even that 92/93 team. They weren’t Super Bowl ready overnight.

Exactly ...... They played the Superbowl champs from the year before and just got better and better as the year went on.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
no, that isn’t what happened , Lolol.
People are making too much out of the Panthers game. It was a beat down. It’s funny when the argument fits people they say the Cowboys never had a chance in a game and it was garbage time. But people don’t recognize the same with what the Panthers did. The game was over after the 3rd quarter.

johneric8

Reaction score
So far, with the exception of turnover ratio (ranking 1st) we've flip from one of 2020 worst defensive rankings to another one for 2021. In other words, last season we had the league's worst rushing defense ( dead last) and spent the offseason hell-bent on fixing it. The good news is it so far this season, we are ranked 6th rushing yards allowed BUT the bad news, we are dead last passing defense ( 31st ). That is, 31st in total passing yards allowed and passing yards allowed per game.

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/defense

Not trying to be negative Nancy here but a couple of things to keep in mind.....

• Quinn is a former Dline coach
  • We are 16th in points allowed per game. IF we can improve this to at least top 10, the 31st yards ranking issue won't matter much. Why? As Belichick says ( many here know I've repeated this a 1000 times) only two defensive stats really impacts the game, turnover ratio and scoring defense ( keeping points off the board).
  • What happens if we don't fix the passing yard issue? Look no further than the Panthers letting them back in the game and nearly lost. This has been an issue with his defenses, giving up points late in games
  • Also, teams with a good QB AND Oline can put up a lot of points, especially late in the game when your D is tired.
  • On January 22, 2017, Quinn's Falcons won the NFC Championship against the Green Bay Packers 44–21, clinching a berth to play in Super Bowl LI against the New England Patriots.[15] Up 21–3 at halftime and 28–3 in the third quarter, the Falcons blew the largest lead in Super Bowl history and lost the game in overtime by a score of 34–28.[16][17]
:facepalm:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Now saying what I said ....... I do agree that our passing defense only looks bad because we are getting big leads and (for some reason) start playing prevent defense which always gives up big passing yards ....... I hate prevent defense.

Big_D

Reaction score
Now saying what I said ....... I do agree that our passing defense only looks bad because we are getting big leads and (for some reason) start playing prevent defense which always gives up big passing yards ....... I hate prevent defense.

Man I really hate prevent D. Just stop with that crap already. It never works. I don’t know why they think it’s a good idea to rush 3 and give the QB all day? Makes no sense.

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love pointing out flaws. Especially after a win.

Our defense is playing great by today’s NFL standards and looking at yards or giving up points when we’re up multiple scores is ridiculous.

If you want to complain about the defense then complain about the mental mistakes with the blown assignments. That’s a legit complaint.

The recipe right now is Dallas gets a lead.

Opposing offense forced to be more aggressive.

Pass rush, especially Parsons, tees off on the QB.

Turnovers and sacks happen

Sounds like a winning formula to me. Not saying, we can't improve giving up big chunk plays (we are 30th in pass yards given up) but it's part a strategy of this fine sport that I enjoy so much. The strategy against this recipe is to pressure the QB as much as possible or stop the run and force the QB to pass. But our team can run the ball and throw effectively, so it works for us.