This draft class

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd agree with more valuable, but not "far, far more". A great safety can do things a cornerback can do to a large degree. Vice versa of course, on occasion. Don't know that the 90's Cowboys would have been as successful as they were without Woodson, Washington et al, despite having Deion, for example....
CB's are irrelevant w/o good S's and a pass rush. So, who's really more important?

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd agree with more valuable, but not "far, far more". A great safety can do things a cornerback can do to a large degree. Vice versa of course, on occasion. Don't know that the 90's Cowboys would have been as successful as they were without Woodson, Washington et al, despite having Deion, for example....
Or just go w/ the truth and settle on less.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
CB's are irrelevant w/o good S's and a pass rush. So, who's really more important?

Of course no matter how good the pass rush and safeties are, sometimes the quarterback has time to find receivers, and if the cornerback isn't very good, it can be a touchdown or long gain. The pass rush, etc. for the '85 Bears was fantastic, but Marino picked them apart and ruined their perfect season. Rodgers can flick the ball with his wrist quickly, before even the fastest pass rush can get there.

Hence you do need top corners, if you can get them. Else why did the Cowboys pay out the wazoo for Deion, e.g.?

Can't agree their irrelevant, that's a bit too strong a word for me..

kskboys

Reaction score
Of course no matter how good the pass rush and safeties are, sometimes the quarterback has time to find receivers, and if the cornerback isn't very good, it can be a touchdown or long gain. The pass rush, etc. for the '85 Bears was fantastic, but Marino picked them apart and ruined their perfect season. Rodgers can flick the ball with his wrist quickly, before even the fastest pass rush can get there.

Hence you do need top corners, if you can get them. Else why did the Cowboys pay out the wazoo for Deion, e.g.?

Agree, irrelevant was an exaggeration to make a point.

Not top corners, just pesky mirroring types.

That ball flick can be majorly affected by interior pass rush.

kskboys

Reaction score

I don't call 270 yds at 14/27 picking them apart. Looking at the game summary, MacMahon was out and Fuller was picked 3 times. That appears to be the primary factor.

You shouldn't base your D philosophy on one game. Every year in the playoffs, good QB's get destroyed by the pass rush.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't call 270 yds at 14/27 picking them apart. Looking at the game summary, MacMahon was out and Fuller was picked 3 times. That appears to be the primary factor.

You shouldn't base your D philosophy on one game. Every year in the playoffs, good QB's get destroyed by the pass rush.

270 yards on 14 completions, nearly 20 yards a catch. And this was 1985, there were only 3 passers with a rating above 90, so 14 of 27 was, for the era, still pretty good. Marino's rating for that game was like 108. That was exceptional for the time, could be considered "picking them apart".

But thanks for the stats, I forgot McMahon was out, the picks on Fuller no doubt shortened the field, and for a quick passer like Marino having his receivers run relatively short routes would have been a great help, even the best pass rush will take 2-3-4 seconds to get there, plenty of time for a receiver to run 25-30 yard routes and get open.

As is often the case, matchups determine the winner, and the Dolphins had the big advantage at quarterback.

It takes many things to have an undefeated season, which is why it's only happened once, and why I was never that impressed with the Dolphins doing it, took a perfect (pun intended) combination of a good team, weak schedule and luck to pull it off...

speedkilz88

Reaction score

For those of us who saw the game, LA is correct.

DFWJC

Reaction score
You could say that they got the best defensive player in the draft at pick 12.

You could say that they got a 1st round corner in the 2nd round.

You could say that they got two solid defensive linemen in the 3rd round.

You could say that they got a 2nd round linebacker in the 4th round.

You could say that they got a 2nd round offensive tackle in the 4th round.

Maybe they got a keeper 1 technique in the 6th round.

Maybe the tall defensive backs and the wr contribute. Who knows?

Anyway, the draft class has a chance to be good and they certainly improved their defense.
Don't we want to play a few actual games before making these proclamations?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
You could say that they got the best defensive player in the draft at pick 12.

You could say that they got a 1st round corner in the 2nd round.

You could say that they got two solid defensive linemen in the 3rd round.

You could say that they got a 2nd round linebacker in the 4th round.

You could say that they got a 2nd round offensive tackle in the 4th round.

Maybe they got a keeper 1 technique in the 6th round.

Maybe the tall defensive backs and the wr contribute. Who knows?

Anyway, the draft class has a chance to be good and they certainly improved their defense.

I'm looking at Ourlads draft guide.
We reached after the second round.

timb2

Reaction score
I think the 3rd round picks are good character players. Both Parsons and Joseph have great talent but character concerns. You bring in these guys in the 3rd round to steer Parsons & Joseph out of trouble in they're pro careers

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the 3rd round picks are good character players. Both Parsons and Joseph have great talent but character concerns. You bring in these guys in the 3rd round to steer Parsons & Joseph out of trouble in they're pro careers
Parsons has character concerns? Haven't heard that, what are they?