Twitter: This Is A Big Part Of Why Dallas re-signed Jourdan Lewis

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

Plus, he’s a good tackler and relatively physical for a slot guy.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

I really am glad that they found a way to keep him.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

I admit Im not a fan of Lewis. Maybe because of I haven't seen enough of what he can do. But to bench him because he is too short is just idiocy.

Tyrann Mathieu is one of my favorite players. He stands at 5'9, 175lbs and ran a 4.5 in the combine. All he does it makes play after play.

I think Dan Quinn will do the right thing and put him in a position to make plays.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

I've always appreciated how well Lewis plays as the slot CB in the Nickel package. I don't think he gets enough praise for how good he actually is in that position. As much as the Cowboy's D utilizes the Nickel package, he should be getting plenty of time on the field to prove his worth once again in the coming season.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The 2020 season was easily Lewis' biggest opportunity to date, as injuries to both Awuzie & Anthony Brown frequently forced the Cowboys' coaching staff to shuffle the secondary.

Lewis made 13 starts last season, tallying 59 tackles and two pass breakups to go with a pair of sacks. And thus, he's 2nd on Slot Coverage Success Rate.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I admit Im not a fan of Lewis. Maybe because of I haven't seen enough of what he can do. But to bench him because he is too short is just idiocy.

Tyrann Mathieu is one of my favorite players. He stands at 5'9, 175lbs and ran a 4.5 in the combine. All he does it makes play after play.

I think Dan Quinn will do the right thing and put him in a position to make plays.

Good post -- Lewis's success percentage seems to bear out his play. He does very well, despite his size. I think he'll do just fine.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

@Hennessy_King says:

tenor.gif

And he did it just like that. Lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jourdan Lewis is an example of guy who needed to be developed. He was not an instant plug and play guy which too many expect young players to be. He’s never going to be an All Pro but he’s solid. And at his price tag, he’s a valuable commodity.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think Jourdan Lewis is an example of guy who needed to be developed. He was not an instant plug and play guy which too many expect young players to be. He’s never going to be an All Pro but he’s solid. And at his price tag, he’s a valuable commodity.
Yep. Jourdan, like many of the new secondary guys they’ve brought in, has good ball-skills. The ball tends to find him and I think that played into the decision to re-sign him too.

If they could get good guys around him, he has the instincts to get some turnovers, IMO.

Batman1980

Reaction score

Perfect replacement for Orlando Scandrick, think he's actually a slight upgrade.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Lewis earned his contract down the stretch. He wasn't good at all in the early part of the year but played much better at the end. He also came up with some huge drive killing one on one containment run stops near the end of the year as well. I'm not a huge fan of PFF stats in general. They don't know what players responsibilities were. This looks like a stat that is just marked yes or no. Big difference between giving up a first down on 3rd down and just a completion at some other time. And nearest defender can be pretty misleading in zone. But, I guess it's better than not being 2nd overall in this stat so I'll take it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis signed a three-year, $13.5 million contract with the Cowboys. Lewis has $7.75 million in guarantees of which $4.75 million is guaranteed at signing. Lewis received a $3.5 million signing bonus and his 2021 salary is guaranteed. You think that's a good deal?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Previous coaching staffs for the Cowboys have failed to demonstrate sufficient respect for what Lewis has done during his career. Here's hoping the defensive staff under Quinn will make certain to take full advantage of his skills. Disrespecting Lewis for his size has been a persistent mistake.