Twitter: This Is A Big Part Of Why Dallas re-signed Jourdan Lewis

phildadon86

Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

Plus, he’s a good tackler and relatively physical for a slot guy.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

I really am glad that they found a way to keep him.

When he stupidly headbutt a giants player in basically a win and you’re in game, he lost any respect I had for him. Dumb player, poor attitude, no situational awareness

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He's a player - period.
We can let him go if we want to. I betcha he'd in up starting with another team and becoming a ball hawk.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

Lewis has had his opportunities with multiple coaching staffs to take hold of the nickel/slot role, but every time he has lost out to Anthony Brown. This cannot just be about his lack of size/length. We have seen a lot of inconsistency, remember he got totally destroyed against Beasley 2 years on on Thanksgiving, but also remember him having a tremendous game matching up against Alvin Kamara. To me, he is a yr to yr player now and no more excuses. They aren't going to keep an expensive backup to sit on the bench, time to make the next step or play somewhere else next season!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I think what they liked most about him was that he resigned for cheap. Personally I havent seen the guy do much of anything since he has been here in dallas. For all the talk of his skill and breakout year potential, he hasnt lived up to any of that. "relatively physical for a slot guy"? I dont thing that is a compliment. "Solid"? The problem with our defense is we have too many solid guys and not enough play makers or leaders.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

I always liked Lewis. Plays hard and never seemed to get a full chance with the terrible DCs they have had. He was a way better player than Chido so I am glad they kept him. I predict he will play well this year.

Creeper

Reaction score

I had no idea. The way the Cowboys played last year it is hard to imagine anyone on the team playing so well. I actually thought Chido was the best CB on the team last year. Perhaps I was wrong.

kskboys

Reaction score
Lewis has had his opportunities with multiple coaching staffs to take hold of the nickel/slot role, but every time he has lost out to Anthony Brown. This cannot just be about his lack of size/length. We have seen a lot of inconsistency, remember he got totally destroyed against Beasley 2 years on on Thanksgiving, but also remember him having a tremendous game matching up against Alvin Kamara. To me, he is a yr to yr player now and no more excuses. They aren't going to keep an expensive backup to sit on the bench, time to make the next step or play somewhere else next season!
Well, it appears as if you pointed out the problem in your first sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a Lewis fan, but I honestly don't know what to think right now. I do believe there's a good chance he was not trained/used properly. We are(were, hopefully) notorious for not developing players, and even more notorious for using players incorrectly.

While I cannot proclaim this unequivocally, I believe Lewis has not been either developed or used correctly. And that is something we are fixing to find out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well, it appears as if you pointed out the problem in your first sentence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was a Lewis fan, but I honestly don't know what to think right now. I do believe there's a good chance he was not trained/used properly. We are(were, hopefully) notorious for not developing players, and even more notorious for using players incorrectly.

While I cannot proclaim this unequivocally, I believe Lewis has not been either developed or used correctly. And that is something we are fixing to find out.
Good point of not being ever developed nor used right. However, he isn't on a rookie deal any longer, they aren't going to pay him to become an expensive backup. The same can be said about Anthony Brown. Both are going to need to earn their roster spots. Sink or swim this yr for Lewis or he will be playing elsewhere in 2022.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Love the guy but he was the 10th most penalized player last year......needs to clean that up and honestly, I think he will coz it wasn't an issue for the 2019 season.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties-player.html?yr=2020&tm=
Well, he was actually tied for 9th most… but there were so many guys with 8 penalties that he was also tied for 21st most. They just slotted him in the 10th slot because of penalty yards.

The lowest player (best) on that list only had two fewer penalties in 2020 than Lewis did.

If you look, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (who was the best on the list in my op) was also there with 8 penalties, tied with Lewis. The slot corner position is really difficult to play and those guys are put in some bad situations (such as trying to cover a guy like Beasley who can change directions on a dime). They can draw some penalties, for sure.

A lot is also how aggressive the coaches ask you to play, too. Some coaches want you playing tough on those guys, and making everything difficult for the receiver. DB’s in that situation will draw more penalties than with coaches that don’t ask you to be as physical with the WR’s.

I have no idea how the Dallas coaches asked the DB’s to play last year but I haven’t really seen a pattern from Lewis where he’s always getting a lot of penalties. Personally, I don’t think it is a problem but to be honest I haven’t looked back over his career to check. I just haven’t noticed it being an issue in his years in Dallas.

I know that Lewis does tend to make things hard on the WR’s and is always pestering them and in their face. I like that style of play from a secondary though. It is part of the reason why I like Lewis’ game. A few penalties over the course of a season will come with that… but he frustrates WR’s when the defense is using Lewis facing the QB instead of outside in a trail position. That is where his aggressiveness can really get him in trouble with some big penalties.

That is why I like him inside, facing the QB in a zone. I think the way they’ll use him this season is the best way to use Lewis.

I guess we will see this year if penalties are going to be an issue for him. I don’t think it will be but I’ve been wrong before so…

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Wow, that's a surprise!

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
When he stupidly headbutt a giants player in basically a win and you’re in game, he lost any respect I had for him. Dumb player, poor attitude, no situational awareness
I don’t really remember the specifics about the situation in that Giants game but I agree that’s never a good thing to do.

However, I don’t think that Lewis is a dumb player and I don’t think he has a poor attitude. He’s a fighter and a scrapper, for sure, and he’s always in the face of guys but he doesn’t play dumb. If that was an ongoing problem, I might agree but that was a one-time thing.

The Giants player probably baited him and he fell for it… which is a dumb thing to do… but I can understand it happening. I’m sure Lewis was frustrated (like the rest of the Dallas defense) and he just let it get the best of him. It happens. I don’t think it is an issue with Lewis though.

I certainly wouldn’t paint his whole career because of that one incident, and I wouldn’t let it effect how I view his overall game.

Like I said in my previous post, Lewis is an aggressive guy that is constantly pestering the receiver. I like that from a DB very much (and the WR’s hate it), but it will cause some penalties from time to time.

This season will tell a lot about Lewis.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
As I recall, @xwalker was not a fan, but that was a few years and he had the stats supporting his claim. Hopefully, J-Lew has turned a corner. Given how the offseason is going, I can see a scenario in which Kelvin Joseph becomes the forgotten man.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
This season is going to tell the tale on Lewis, I think. He will be being used in what I feel is a good way for him… so if he doesn’t do well this season, then you’re probably right and this will be his last in Dallas.

I think he’ll play well but he has to go out and do it, so we will see.

Beaker42

Reaction score

But but but he sux according to many on here. SMH.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Previous coaching staffs for the Cowboys have failed to demonstrate sufficient respect for what Lewis has done during his career. Here's hoping the defensive staff under Quinn will make certain to take full advantage of his skills. Disrespecting Lewis for his size has been a persistent mistake.
By previous you mean Richard? Glad he’s gone.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Jourdan Lewis signed a three-year, $13.5 million contract with the Cowboys. Lewis has $7.75 million in guarantees of which $4.75 million is guaranteed at signing. Lewis received a $3.5 million signing bonus and his 2021 salary is guaranteed. You think that's a good deal?
Yes

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
By previous you mean Richard? Glad he’s gone.

Exactly and I believe Dan Quinn will know enough to utilize Jourdan Lewis in the slot, where he's the most effective.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took a few games to get the best from our youngsters. It's, simply, a matter of time, imho.

I'm expecting Dan Quinn to coach him up into a slot back who will prove himself an exceptional all-around defender.

Last edited: