Twitter: This Is A Big Part Of Why Dallas re-signed Jourdan Lewis

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This season is going to tell the tale on Lewis, I think. He will be being used in what I feel is a good way for him… so if he doesn’t do well this season, then you’re probably right and this will be his last in Dallas.

I think he’ll play well but he has to go out and do it, so we will see.
He has another opportunity to seize control of the nickel/slot role. If he cannot win the spot, his time with the team is going to be short-lived as they aren't going to keep an expensive backup, slot only corner. He has the ability to be a productive player, just has to show more consistency. This will be his last chance to make it happen.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
@Hennessy_King says:

tenor.gif

And he did it just like that. Lol.
Im jus sayin i kno more than most on here.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
As I recall, @xwalker was not a fan, but that was a few years and he had the stats supporting his claim. Hopefully, J-Lew has turned a corner. Given how the offseason is going, I can see a scenario in which Kelvin Joseph becomes the forgotten man.
Xwalker doesnt know what hes talking about half the time.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

Plus, he’s a good tackler and relatively physical for a slot guy.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

I really am glad that hey found a way to keep him.

Nice to see a metric instead of content free fanboyism.

quickccc

Reaction score

Out of the slot, he rated second in the NFL, just barely behind Gardner-Johnson in New Orleans. Lewis has the eyes, football smarts and the twitch to play the slot very well… and he has. He played it pretty well last year, even in the midst of the disaster that was Mike Nolan’s defense.

Plus, he’s a good tackler and relatively physical for a slot guy.

When they re-signed him and then he said Dallas intends to have him playing around the line of scrimmage where he can cover inside and keep his eyes on the QB… I immediately thought that is the perfect way to deploy Lewis. He’ll be on the quicker receivers and the RB’s coming out of the backfield. Perfect use of his abilities, IMO.

With all the new guys in the Dallas secondary, don’t forget Jourdan because I think he’s going to play well for Quinn in his nickel and dime packages. I actually expect Lewis to get his hands on some INT’s this season as he’ll get to spy the QB much of the time.

He’s a very solid player if he’s used right (which Dallas hasn’t always done). It sure sounds like he will get to play to his strengths in the new defense.

I really am glad that they found a way to keep him.

, ..plenty of illegal contact yellow flags, ..No INTs....surrender TDs and big plays .. yet to beat out Anthony Brown for the 3rd CB role under two different DB coaches ...and he'll likely be nickel CB
and 4th or 5th CB by season's end again, ..and also a guy that is very vulnerable if he has to play/start outside ... and yet he was given a new 3 year contract
including an 8 million dollar signing bonus ? A guy that has to be schemed and played around the line of scrimmage and limited downfield in coverage ?

Sydla

Reaction score
He's not bad if he can stop being a total knucklehead at times.

sbark

Reaction score
Previous coaching staffs for the Cowboys have failed to demonstrate sufficient respect for what Lewis has done during his career. Here's hoping the defensive staff under Quinn will make certain to take full advantage of his skills. Disrespecting Lewis for his size has been a persistent mistake.
Garrett, Rod M used him once strategically......he took Alvin Kammera out of the game vrs N.O. A couple of yrs ago....but they couldn't replicate it game after game....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Would like to see his game-by-game breakdown, because he was pretty awful early in the season.

quickccc

Reaction score
He has another opportunity to seize control of the nickel/slot role. If he cannot win the spot, his time with the team is going to be short-lived as they aren't going to keep an expensive backup, slot only corner. He has the ability to be a productive player, just has to show more consistency. This will be his last chance to make it happen.

i just don't believe in paying that much for a guy that is going and has to have such a limited, scheme design role - has to be close to the line vs the further downfield, the further outside he has to cover, the more vulnerable and suspect he becomes.

Also with Joseph, Wright being very high picks, and Brown still co-existing here, where does that leave Lewis on the depth chart ?

i admit that i thought for sure when he was re-signed, i thought it was going be a move directed towards him playing FS.
But early indications from vet OTAs doesn't suggest he's gonna be used in that capacity.

quickccc

Reaction score
Scandrick was a stud for a while on small, quick WRs. Valuable talent to have.

Scandrick was cheeks we tried so hard to replace him too lol

Scandrick wasn't a stud like some fans want to make him out to be, imo .. he only just improved under Rob Ryan to eventually become serviceable at best.

Rarely made a big turnover or INT, zero ball skills, another like Byron Jones, that was content in just knocking the ball down to the ground, instead of jumping routes or errand throws for INTs
and for much of his career, he was one of those that just couldn't flat get his damn head turned around in press coverage running with receivers downfield to locate and make a play on the damn ball.
That was utter frustrating for years and years.

And when this team finally decided to wise up and realized we needed to try to upgrade at CB, Scanny was sent packing elsewhere and never
amounted to anything but a liability in the teams he ended up playing for, post-Cowboys.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Scandrick wasn't a stud like some fans want to make him out to be, imo .. he only just improved under Rob Ryan to eventually become serviceable at best.

Rarely made a big turnover or INT, zero ball skills, another like Byron Jones, that was content in just knocking the ball down to the ground, instead of jumping routes or errand throws for INTs
and for much of his career, he was one of those that just couldn't flat get his damn head turned around in press coverage running with receivers downfield to locate and make a play on the damn ball.

And when this team finally decided to wise up and realized we needed to try to upgrade at CB, Scanny was sent packing elsewhere and never
amounted to anything but a liability in the teams he ended up playing for, post-Cowboys.
Cowboys fans are hilarious they swear players are good because they played for us. Scandrick had one season he was better than average the rest were below average. Ball skills were a joke he averaged less than 1 int a year and eagles couldnt wait to cut him

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Whatever Scandrick's limitations, what I said about his was true:
Scandrick was a stud for a while on small, quick WRs. Valuable talent to have.​

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i just don't believe in paying that much for a guy that is going and has to have such a limited, scheme design role - has to be close to the line vs the further downfield, the further outside he has to cover, the more vulnerable and suspect he becomes.

Also with Joseph, Wright being very high picks, and Brown still co-existing here, where does that leave Lewis on the depth chart ?

i admit that i thought for sure when he was re-signed, i thought it was going be a move directed towards him playing FS.
But early indications from vet OTAs doesn't suggest he's gonna be used in that capacity.

It appears Brown is the veteran insurance player if the prospects aren't deemed ready. He is the so called Worely, Carroll. Starting experience at an affordable rate and won't become a progress stopper. If Joseph/Wright show they belong, it wouldn't surprise me to see a trade or even a release of Brown to save some money.

I read Quinn was the one who wanted to resign Lewis. He might have a particular role in mind for him. With his experience of developing slot corners into free safeties, I wonder if that is their plan. You are right, we haven't heard anything of a position change as of yet. They did look at some nickel corners in the draft with this change in mind.

I know in mini camp both Brown/Lewis were apart of the starting group along with Diggs, we will see if that continues as camp progresses.

quickccc

Reaction score
It appears Brown is the veteran insurance player if the prospects aren't deemed ready. He is the so called Worely, Carroll. Starting experience at an affordable rate and won't become a progress stopper. If Joseph/Wright show they belong, it wouldn't surprise me to see a trade or even a release of Brown to save some money.

I read Quinn was the one who wanted to resign Lewis. He might have a particular role in mind for him. With his experience of developing slot corners into free safeties, I wonder if that is their plan. You are right, we haven't heard anything of a position change as of yet. They did look at some nickel corners in the draft with this change in mind.

I know in mini camp both Brown/Lewis were apart of the starting group along with Diggs, we will see if that continues as camp progresses.

Except Brown has already been developed from within. We drafted Brown, we didn't draft cheap vets Worley and Carroll.

And this year there was no longer the plan for outside help- no more vet help signings at the CB spot.
the new plan was to re-sign our own, while also adding more viable candidates thru the NFL draft.
I'm one of those that do not expect a Richard Sherman like signing at all. I really believe we are prepared to go with what is already on the roster.