"This is going to be the best offensive line in NFL history. Mark my words" ~La'El Collins

windjc

Reaction score
A lot of youthful exuberance from Collins talking about "best ever" before he's even practiced a day in the league. However, I remember a Marshall Irvin who said "Superbowl" 15 seconds after he was drafted. So as long as you can walk the walk...

Unfortunately most can't. We'll see. :)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He sounds like the future leader of this team. The inspirational leader.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
A lot of youthful exuberance from Collins talking about "best ever" before he's even practiced a day in the league. However, I remember a Marshall Irvin who said "Superbowl" 15 seconds after he was drafted. So as long as you can walk the walk...

Unfortunately most can't. We'll see. :)

Marshall Irvin ? please enlighten us on who the hell this player is?

esloan

Reaction score
Marshall Irvin ? please enlighten us on who the hell this player is?

It was from a clip from, I think, ESPN when Michael Irvin was drafted. They called him Marshall Irvin. He was making fun of it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Listening to him made me think that he was auditioning for the head coaching job. Heck, even Garrett was impressed.

That boys got some passion in him.

His passion was ignited when Jerry told him that he wanted to build the greatest oline has ever seen. Good job Jerry in pushing the right buttons. But we all know you wanted Johnny football last year all along!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've seen a lot of Cowboy fans here desperately compare players to Erik WIlliams over the past few years. This kid may actually fit that bill.

That's a lofty goal, but there are some similarities, IMO. People are saying that Collins should play OG because he lacks the quickness/range to play RT, but EW didn't exactly have Tyron type of quickness. He won with decent quickness combined with overwhelming size, power and tenacity. I would say that Collins has similar quickness to EW. He does lack the length of EW who was tall with long arms.

dfan32

Reaction score
That's a lofty goal, but there are some similarities, IMO. People are saying that Collins should play OG because he lacks the quickness/range to play RT, but EW didn't exactly have Tyron type of quickness. He won with decent quickness combined with overwhelming size, power and tenacity. I would say that Collins has similar quickness to EW. He does lack the length of EW who was tall with long arms.

I understand completely what you're saying but I'm wondering how an OL that projects to NFL as a guard can be, according to many, seen as a top 5 pick in draft. It is impressive that he is willing to play wherever they want him to though. Many players these days won't swallow their pride like that. He seems like a great kid!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't see any OL in the league intimidating opposing DL like LA and EWill did in their prime. Some of that is due to the rule changes but those 2 sought to physically maul their opponent on each snap.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

It appears to me that his quickness is superior to Williams. Williams wasn't swooft of foot, but he was hard to get around and punished players with his punch.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It appears to me that his quickness is superior to Williams. Williams wasn't swooft of foot, but he was hard to get around and punished players with his punch.

Maybe a little, but Williams was way bigger.

Collins 6'4-1/2", 305.
Erik Williams 6'6-1/2", 330

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Maybe a little, but Williams was way bigger.

Collins 6'4-1/2", 305.
Erik Williams 6'6-1/2", 330

Oh, I didn't disagree with that. Williams was a monster. That's what made him so hard to get around and aided his power. His punch was just nasty.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What RT in NFL history would you take over Erik Williams? Prior to the car accident.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand completely what you're saying but I'm wondering how an OL that projects to NFL as a guard can be, according to many, seen as a top 5 pick in draft. It is impressive that he is willing to play wherever they want him to though. Many players these days won't swallow their pride like that. He seems like a great kid!

The Giants took Scherff at #5 and the majority of people think he should play Guard. Zack Martin has been terrific at Guard, but it would be hard to pull the trigger on a Guard in the top 10.

The average salaries in 2015 for the top 5 at the position are:
Guard: 7.6M
RT: 6.6M
LT: 10.8M

perrykemp

Reaction score
What RT in NFL history would you take over Erik Williams? Prior to the car accident.

That's a tough one. Erik Williams was incredible in 92 and 93 -- the two years he started all 16 games before his accident. Those were the two years he earned 1st team All-Pro. He ends up being one of those small sample size guys where you can only speculate what his career would have looked like had he not had the terrible injury.

In terms of all time great other RTs, not a lot come to mind. My guess is Forest Gregg, Dan Dierdorf, Ron Yary, and maybe Jackey Slater are considered the all-time best at the position.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
The Giants took Scherff at #5 and the majority of people think he should play Guard. Zack Martin has been terrific at Guard, but it would be hard to pull the trigger on a Guard in the top 10.

The average salaries in 2015 for the top 5 at the position are:
Guard: 7.6M
RT: 6.6M
LT: 10.8M

You must be referring to the Skins not the Giants. Giants took Flowers at Tackle at #9 which Gregory manhandled.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

None. EW was the great RT in history before the accident and one of the greatest OLinemen at any position. I would take pre-wreck Erik Williams over LA if I had the choice.

Despite all of the skill position talent on those first 2 SB teams, EW was the most dominant player at his position on the entire team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You must be referring to the Skins not the Giants. Giants took Flowers at Tackle at #9 which Gregory manhandled.

Yes, sorry, the Skins not Giants. They're all the same to me. I was thinking Giants because a saw an interview with the Giants RT before the draft where he said he would have no problem moving to Guard if they drafted Scherff to play RT.