This is not a dominant run blocking line

burmafrd

Reaction score
The biggest difference with the 90's guys. Bigg can certainly get it done, but other then that we just do not have the guys who can do it consistently. They are much better pass blockers then run blockers- and they do wear down the D line so that we can run later in the game. BUT they cannot get it done against a fresh D.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1695998 said:
The biggest difference with the 90's guys. Bigg can certainly get it done, but other then that we just do not have the guys who can do it consistently. They are much better pass blockers then run blockers- and they do wear down the D line so that we can run later in the game. BUT they cannot get it done against a fresh D.

They were also playing a defense that was over-loading to stop the run and our field position sucked.

The run blocking could be better but it's not that lack of a running game that caused our issues last night.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I am talking all season so far. Not just last night.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't say it is either but it's certainly good enough to go deep into the playoffs with.

Our passing game is our running game-- the problem was that we didn't take what Buffalo gave us last night-- the shorter routes.

sago1

Reaction score
This game was a valuable learning experience for Romo. In our rush to make him an elite QB, we seem to forget that he's barely got 1 year of on field experience under his belt. If you compare his first year against Peyton Manning, Romo comes out way ahead.

Hopefully finally seeing what the Bills were doing against him--taking away the medium to long passes--and leaving him with the short game almost beat him until near the end when he finally took what the Bills were giving him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Belicheat use the same coverage with some twists. Hopefully Romo settles this time for what the defense gives him which will force them to change and allow more success in the medium game. Sure would be a big help when Terry Glenn returns so he can stretch the field and give Romo another target with good hands.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1696012 said:
They were also playing a defense that was over-loading to stop the run and our field position sucked.

The run blocking could be better but it's not that lack of a running game that caused our issues last night.

I agree with Burm, in fact forget dominant...it isnt even "good" or average"

its bad...they get ZERO push whatsoever...and the Bills will undermanned and light up front anyway...alot of our failed run plays were with only 6 or 7 guys in the box...with the size of this OL we should be mauling people when that happens

Garrett said in the offseason that he basically kept the run game scheme in tact, I think he should have overhauled it as well...

and Columbo is starting to be a concern...

David

AbeBeta

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1696076 said:
Our passing game is our running game-- the problem was that we didn't take what Buffalo gave us last night-- the shorter routes.

A perfect example was on the first pick -- Witten stopped his route b/c he had first down yardage but Romo was expecting him to push it deep. Deep in your own territory on 3rd down is not the time to push it deep. If Garrett is teaching that then he needs to tap on the brakes a bit.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
dbair1967;1696155 said:
I agree with Burm, in fact forget dominant...it isnt even "good" or average"

its bad...they get ZERO push whatsoever...and the Bills will undermanned and light up front anyway...alot of our failed run plays were with only 6 or 7 guys in the box...with the size of this OL we should be mauling people when that happens

Garrett said in the offseason that he basically kept the run game scheme in tact, I think he should have overhauled it as well...

and Columbo is starting to be a concern...

David

It's kind of hard to run the ball when not only the opposing team is overloading, but the Cowboys are down by 10 early.....I'm quite sure we wanted to come out and pound the ball, but urgency played a key factor....Romo was pressing which led to mistakes, and led to him having to throw the ball 50 times....

AbeBeta

Reaction score
What do folks here expect re: run blocking? That doesn't mean you just come in and break off long runs from the first quarter to the 4th. It means you wear the other team down so that you can run over them late -- and that's what we've done in most games.

This game we played from behind all day -- we played in a loud stadium against a team who was stacking against the run. We got 3.5 YPC against a team that was stacking the line -- That is about as well as you can do when a team is committed to taking the run away.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Guys it is NOT just this game. The whole season so far. For all our size we SHOULD be able to open GAPING holes.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
burmafrd;1696222 said:
Guys it is NOT just this game. The whole season so far. For all our size we SHOULD be able to open GAPING holes.

I think it has more to do with the fact that we have turned into a finesse team on offense........Remember how back in the day the Cowboys were so predictable on 1st and 2nd down....it seems that Garrett is trying to keep teams guessing, which is why the Cowboys now have a pass first mentality....

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
canters;1696190 said:
What did Columbo do that was of concern?

he's probably the worst run blocker of the 5, and he also got owned alot in pass protection too

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
dcowboysfan76;1696216 said:
It's kind of hard to run the ball when not only the opposing team is overloading, but the Cowboys are down by 10 early.....I'm quite sure we wanted to come out and pound the ball, but urgency played a key factor....Romo was pressing which led to mistakes, and led to him having to throw the ball 50 times....

unless the Bills knew what plays we were claling before we lined up, you cant be "overloading" to stop the run and taking away all the deep stiff outside the hashes with your LB's and safeties helping (as was the case on most plays)

the fact is the Bills rarely played any of our run downs with more than 6 or 7 in the box...nobody has this yr...and we still cant run the ball consistently

this OL should be getting more push and opening more holes than what we are seeing

David

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
dbair1967;1696155 said:
One thing we should have figured out by now is that Julius Jones is not our best option at RB when we've got the ball on our own 1-yard line.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
percyhoward;1696254 said:
One thing we should have figured out by now is that Julius Jones is not our best option at RB when we've got the ball on our own 1-yard line.

MBIII got stoned quite a bit last night too

it isnt the runners...its the blockers...New England (past two games) and Indy this past weekend are clearly showing if you have a good OL with great QB play, you can run the ball pretty much regardless of who the runners are

we should be able to run better than this

David

canters

Reaction score
dbair1967;1696241 said:
he's probably the worst run blocker of the 5, and he also got owned alot in pass protection too

David

He did seem to struggle with Kelsey some, I forgot. I agree that he is a better pass blocker than run blocker.

dcowboysfan76

Reaction score
dbair1967;1696252 said:
unless the Bills knew what plays we were claling before we lined up, you cant be "overloading" to stop the run and taking away all the deep stiff outside the hashes with your LB's and safeties helping (as was the case on most plays)

the fact is the Bills rarely played any of our run downs with more than 6 or 7 in the box...nobody has this yr...and we still cant run the ball consistently

this OL should be getting more push and opening more holes than what we are seeing

David

It just seems that something the Cowboys were doing gave them indications of when we would run the ball, because if you noticed each time we ran the ball, the Bills would shift their linemen a certain way, and the majority of the time when they shifted we didn't gain but a few yards. However, I agree with you on the fact that we should be blowing defensive fronts away with our size, BUT size doesn't always equal strength does it....we are allowing teams to get too much penetration as if the opposing teams know the snap counts better than our own linemen....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I've pointed it out for several games now. For all the love that Sparano gets on this board and in the media, we haven't run blocked well since he got here. He took over the OL in either 2005 or last year, and that was about the time Jones started getting worse. Our best running comes at the end when the defense is just exhausted.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Crown Royal;1696950 said:
I've pointed it out for several games now. For all the love that Sparano gets on this board and in the media, we haven't run blocked well since he got here. He took over the OL in either 2005 or last year, and that was about the time Jones started getting worse. Our best running comes at the end when the defense is just exhausted.

I've said the same thing for a long time, I think he's a mediocre OL coach

I wish we'd have brought in someone else, but I know Jones and Phillips had to at least be somewhat concerned about Garrett calling plays for the first time and thats probably oen reason they were really wanting to keep Sporano...I wont be at all surprised if someone else is OL coach next yr

David