This is the XFL!

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. The SEC has ruined college football. They've made in minor league football.

Do you see the 26 year old looking guys on steroids with freak bodies who do just enough to stay eligible for the games and have felony charges disappear by local law enforcement down there? Every one of those schools have bag men who pays every recruit who even visits

College football lol
That's why I said "perhaps". It's better than the NFL and that is undeniable as far as I'm concerned.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
I'll watch it. Johnny Manziel just tweeted that he's in. I'm sure others will follow like TO, Chad Johnson, and retired players who still have something left in the tank. I remember the XFL back in 2001. I think it's a better time to bring it back. If the BIG3 was popular enough for a second season, the XFL will be alright. And it was popular because of the players, not because of the league. So I think it will succeed this time around.
I'll watch for sure. Players are going to be paid more for more wins. So it's likely we get some competitive, fun games.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Where on earth do you think the average collegiate soon to be professional athlete comes from?

I will wait for you to answer before we continue.
You're missing the point. How many athletes get charged with simple possession? If they did, half the NFL would have records and probably more than three quarters the NBA. Even a lot of the kids from less than ideal backgrounds make it through the collegiate system. They mainly face trouble when they get drafted and make it to a roster. It's the NFL enforcing the law not the federal gov't. NFL suspension does not equal criminal record.

Gameover

Reaction score
Tebow
Griffin
Manziel
V. Young
Dak Prescott
Colin K

There are more QB who the league can be built around now than there were back then.

That gives the league a punchers chance

Hell, ice cubes league got a second season

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You're missing the point. How many athletes get charged with simple possession?

If it is in line with the general population aged 18-23, it is a lot higher than you would think. And this is being conservative.

It is no different than speeding tickets, disorderly conduct, DUI etc.

Just look at your average draft. You hear about the high profile college players who have gotten into trouble. But how about the unheralded player who did not get much national attention?

If they were to suddenly enforce rigid criminal background records on NFL-ready players, that would cut into the talent pool immensely.

If they did, half the NFL would have records and probably more than three quarters the NBA.

How do you know what their records are? For all we know a decent percentage of athletes entering the professional realm have some sort of an arrest record. It might be some misdemeanor, but it is there.

If this league says "no criminal record", like say an employer that knocks out drug offenses, crimes involving violence and theft, good luck getting talent.

Even a lot of the kids from less than ideal backgrounds make it through the collegiate system. They mainly face trouble when they get drafted and make it to a roster. It's the NFL enforcing the law not the federal gov't. NFL suspension does not equal criminal record.

More kids get into trouble and it is not publicized. You only hear about the half of it. There is a reason why sometimes nobody can explain why some draft prospect tumbles. Sometimes it is because they had some minor issues that turned up as teams started digging into their backgrounds.

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
All those hoping Manziel will play, will be waiting a long time, McMahon does not want anyone with any criminal convictions.

As for the league it self you are going to be looking at a league mainly made up of players that are not good enough to at least get on an NFL PS, so I would guess mainly a bunch of 6-7th rounds and UDFA, with the odd NFL vet who has yet to hang up his boots.

I am thinking CFL type league with a bunch of Div II & Div III players. I guess it will be a high scoring as I cant see the Defences being that good or CB being able to stop anyone.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Tebow
Griffin
Manziel
V. Young
Dak Prescott
Colin K

There are more QB who the league can be built around now than there were back then.

That gives the league a punchers chance

Hell, ice cubes league got a second season

By 2020 we'll be able to add Baker Mayfield to that list as well.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
The only professional football league other than the NFL that has a chance to succeed is the one that goes head to head with college football with the best 18-24 year olds who don't go to college playing in it and trying to get drafted. No one wants to see 2nd rate talent playing meaningless games but if you put talented 18-24 year olds who decided to skip college, flunked out of college, or were ineligible on the field and could grow it to rival the college game, I think people would watch it. College baseball has never been a huge draw outside of college towns because everyone knows the best talent at that age is in the minor leagues. On the other hand, college football is a juggernaut because the best talent in the world at that age is on the field. Poach some of that talent and combine it with the talent that couldn't make it to college and maybe some 23-24 year olds that played in college but didn't get drafted and you could likely compete against college football or at least build a successful league who's main purpose is to develop NFL talent.

None of those things are going to happen. It's not going H2H with college football, much less the NFL.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
As for the league it self you are going to be looking at a league mainly made up of players that are not good enough to at least get on an NFL PS, so I would guess mainly a bunch of 6-7th rounds and UDFA, with the odd NFL vet who has yet to hang up his boots. I am thinking CFL type league with a bunch of Div II & Div III players. I guess it will be a high scoring as I cant see the Defences being that good or CB being able to stop anyone.

There is precedent for this sort of thing and it didn't look anything like that.

A Spring football league in the 80s was doing alright for itself until a certain owner decided to move it to Fall, go head to head with the NFL, filed a lawsuit and destroyed the league. I wonder what that guy is doing these days?

Leedscowboy

Reaction score
There is precedent for this sort of thing and it didn't look anything like that.

A Spring football league in the 80s was doing alright for itself until a certain owner decided to move it to Fall, go head to head with the NFL, filed a lawsuit and destroyed the league. I wonder what that guy is doing these days?

The USFL failed as it moved to Autumn it would have survived longer if it stayed in the Spring, and much like the AFL and AAFC it targeted players out of college and paid them more than the NFL did. Do you really think team X is going to be able to compete with the NFL when it comes to signing some of the top players coming out of college ?

I am sure there will be a few rough diamonds who will make a name and get to play in the NFL, I am sure it would even suit a few NFL teams if they could get a few PS players some meaningful games.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
None of those things are going to happen. It's not going H2H with college football, much less the NFL.

I get that but it's just my opinion of the only other football league that has a chance. If you started a developmental league for 18-24 year olds and 5-10 years down the road a significant amount of talent skips college to play in the league as a springboard to the NFL, I think that league would find an audience big enough to succeed. The NCAA would fight you every step of the way and it would be a difficult undertaking but I just don't see any league with 2nd rate players going nowhere making it. How many kids would choose the league and a $25-40,000 salary for 2-3 years over college if you offered the same chance to be drafted as going to college would? I think enough would decide to skip college and eventually the teams would be just as talented as college teams. If that happened and players were getting drafted out of the league, it would succeed, and whoever started it would eventually become a billionaire by selling it to the NFL.

aikemirv

Reaction score
lol I guarantee, every jersey will have an American flag on the front and back and he will demand every player stands, salutes and cries uncontrollably during the anthem, making them incredibly patriotic..which of course will make for positive tweets!
What a joke of a post....yeah, cause that's what everyone was looking for. Can't just give a little respect to those who fought and died for your freedoms huh

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO the XFL will fail. There's not enough talented football players, minimal salaries so they will not attract top talent and McMahon said he's going to own all the teams which in my opinion will lead to other problems.

DcFootball4

Reaction score
Would you watch a game with Tebow as QB? Be honest.

I would definitely tune in to see Tebow, I hope to see Manziel and RGIII as well. This league, I believe means another football game and I hope it is from 2K considering they also make the WWE games. I am also sick of the rules with the NFL and if it wasn't for my loyalty to the Cowboys, I probably wouldn't keep watching it. I know I read how Vince will own all of the teams, but I hope he will eventually allow other people to buy a franchise, which makes me hope JJ buys one, which I could totally see happening, if allowed. I get we all have issues with JJs ability as a GM and all that, but he has really been the owner since I have been aware of the Cowboys as a kid and my loyalty is with the Cowboys and with the Jones family as well.