This is why the Cowboys keep drafting TE's

OhSnap

Reaction score
I've scratched my head with the obsession with drafting TE's in Arlington but this article sums it up as good as it gets. The first 5 points makes the case but the whole article is a good read.

• The increase in the size of defensive linemen has made running up the middle less attractive.
  • The blocking fullback has been replaced by the slot receiver: A great blocking fullback will take a linebacker out of the play, but an average slot receiver will take a linebacker off the field.
  • Tight ends are now among the most athletic players in the game, and the fullback is essentially a shorter, slower, tight end. Teams aren’t looking to leave a multi-dimensional tight end or a slot receiver off the field for a six-foot lead blocker.
  • The pass-catching fullback is the option of last resort for an offense, not an element of design. No offensive coordinator is spending his time thinking about how he can get the ball into the hands of his fullback more often.
  • Fullbacks are being diverted into other career paths: a fast high school fullback becomes a running back, a tall fullback becomes a tight end, and a strong fullback puts on weight to become a linebacker.
http://www.footballperspective.com/fullback-report/

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Good read, but that doesn't excuse 3 TEs in the 2nd round to compensate. Those are premium pics we've been flushing away. I know you weren't justifying it that way, just the quality of players and the round they are chosen is heavily frustrating...Jordan Reed anybody? Bleh

dstone2962

Reaction score
Escobar's pick cannot be justified in terms of this season. The coaches haven't even attempted to put him into the offensive playbook outside of some the earlier games. I just don't see why a team that is essentially in a win now mode would draft a developmental pick like that who by the team's own admission can't block and has a Hall of Famer ahead of him on the depth chart.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Escobar's pick cannot be justified in terms of this season. The coaches haven't even attempted to put him into the offensive playbook outside of some the earlier games. I just don't see why a team that is essentially in a win now mode would draft a developmental pick like that who by the team's own admission can't block and has a Hall of Famer ahead of him on the depth chart.

I think that is the fundamental flaw with the Escobar pick. It may turn out another 1-2 years down the road that he matures into a good player - hopefully. But to use that premium pick on a project - when we needed a starting caliber player right now (at any position) was the big head scratcher ! The theory was sound, just not the use of the high pick at this time - Jerry and co being too smart for their own good !!!

OhSnap

Reaction score
Since 010 when the o-line was gutted Witten has give the Cowboys the luxury of using the other tight ends in a blocking role mostly because they had to. They've been picking TE's where they should have been drafted IMO. I don't think Bennett or Escobar were reaches where they were picked especially when you consider the number of teams going after TE's. I think the problem is fans including myself want to see every tight end they pick become Witten or Novachek. Good luck with that. But to play the modern offense you have to keep getting a quality TE. So far it looks like Hanna has better hands than Bennett or Escobar which is par for the course for the Cowboys but I think Escobar is to green to call it a bad pick. If Escobar has the hands EVERYONE thinks his pick will make everyone love Jerry in a couple years when the inevitable happens with Witten.

OhSnap

Reaction score
I think that is the fundamental flaw with the Escobar pick. It may turn out another 1-2 years down the road that he matures into a good player - hopefully. But to use that premium pick on a project - when we needed a starting caliber player right now (at any position) was the big head scratcher ! The theory was sound, just not the use of the high pick at this time - Jerry and co being too smart for their own good !!!

Drafting to fit the team they have now is what killed the 09 team. Felix was to compliment Barber for example. They should have been thinkin about his replacement.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drafting to fit the team they have now is what killed the 09 team. Felix was to compliment Barber for example. They should have been thinkin about his replacement.

Well said!

boyzjunkie

Reaction score
Since 010 when the o-line was gutted Witten has give the Cowboys the luxury of using the other tight ends in a blocking role mostly because they had to. They've been picking TE's where they should have been drafted IMO. I don't think Bennett or Escobar were reaches where they were picked especially when you consider the number of teams going after TE's. I think the problem is fans including myself want to see every tight end they pick become Witten or Novachek. Good luck with that. But to play the modern offense you have to keep getting a quality TE. So far it looks like Hanna has better hands than Bennett or Escobar which is par for the course for the Cowboys but I think Escobar is to green to call it a bad pick. If Escobar has the hands EVERYONE thinks his pick will make everyone love Jerry in a couple years when the inevitable happens with Witten.

Which, by then, he will be a valuable commodity hitting the big bucks market. Seems like the teams that do well draft and play rooks/young players for cheap and let them walk when they become too expensive. (in general)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The issue is not taking TEs in the second round. The issue is doing so and then not freaking use them. Both Fasano and Bennett proved to be good players after they left, and Esco hasn't even gotten a chance.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The issue is not taking TEs in the second round. The issue is doing so and then not freaking use them. Both Fasano and Bennett proved to be good players after they left, and Esco hasn't even gotten a chance.

I was just going to say that. It bothers me that Fasano and Bennett's careers didn't get started until they left the Cowboys. Dallas is going to use two TE's a lot, but we all know the ball is going to Witten. So the other guy better block- which is what Escobar can't do. I thought Hanna was the receiving type they needed.

Spectre

Reaction score

Marty B isn't good, and he was given plenty of chances here. Too many, if you ask me. He's had some good grabs elsewhere but he isn't irreplaceable 'talent'.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Marty B isn't good, and he was given plenty of chances here. Too many, if you ask me. He's had some good grabs elsewhere but he isn't irreplaceable 'talent'.

What #2 TE needs to be irreplaceable?

sbark

Reaction score
I still think a steady flow of ex- College power fwds that cant make the NBA should be going thru the Cowboys practice squad. In there somewhere is another Gronk, Graham, Hernandez etc.............They got the combo of size, speed and hands that would give secondarys the chills.

OhSnap

Reaction score
Which, by then, he will be a valuable commodity hitting the big bucks market. Seems like the teams that do well draft and play rooks/young players for cheap and let them walk when they become too expensive. (in general)

It's funny cause thats what allot of people complain about with the Cowboys but the people that have left that you hear complaints about the most are just average players. Fasano, Bennett, Canty are the ones I usually see people complain about being let go but they didn't go on to become super stars. This is where free agency hurts because you can't afford to match what another team is willing to pay and in Bennett's case the Cowboys did match what he was offered by the Giants and he wanted that starter title, can't blame him or the Cowboys. The giant's give Canty a 42 million dollar contract, obviously over paid but thats free agency if you want to fill a hole you overpay.