This is why we believe in conspiracies

Reid1boys

Reaction score
So I knew the Giants had an all time blown game this past weekend so I wanted to rewatch the final 5 minutes. With 17 seconds and no timeouts, the Jets complete a pass down the middle of the field. Clock is running, Jets all run down to try and spike it, receiver HANDS THE BALL TO THE CENTER, who quickly gets down to snap the ball. Now the jets are lined up, center down in his squat, never takes his hand off the ball, the ref runs up and literally touches the ball and runs out of there, almost all in one motion, like he was playing tag with the ball. He never took the ball out of the center's grasp, never actually spotted the ball... he lets the JETS spot the ball...... and I immediately think... ***? Ive seen this before, and teh ref damn sure didnt run past the ball and touch it all in one motion to ensure the offense could snap the ball. So I went back and watched that last play two years ago and yep..... that ref damn sure didnt let the Cowboys spot the ball.

What a freaking joke. And when we see this stuff..... this is why Cowboys fans get so upset when officiating impacts a game.

Im not saying the result would have been any different. It would have taken an amazing play to pull it out... but things should be the same from the stripes each week.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
We’ve all seen refs change the outcome of games. The only question is who told them to do it.

Look at the Seahawk-Stealer Super Bowl. The fix was in. Bettis was getting a ring. Anyone want to try and deny that that Super Bowl was not fixed?

By the way, it is perfectly legal for the NFL to fix a game since it falls under ‘entertainment.’ One is not allowed to have inside information on the fix and then place bets.

mldardy

Reaction score
So I knew the Giants had an all time blown game this past weekend so I wanted to rewatch the final 5 minutes. With 17 seconds and no timeouts, the Jets complete a pass down the middle of the field. Clock is running, Jets all run down to try and spike it, receiver HANDS THE BALL TO THE CENTER, who quickly gets down to snap the ball. Now the jets are lined up, center down in his squat, never takes his hand off the ball, the ref runs up and literally touches the ball and runs out of there, almost all in one motion, like he was playing tag with the ball. He never took the ball out of the center's grasp, never actually spotted the ball... he lets the JETS spot the ball...... and I immediately think... ***? Ive seen this before, and teh ref damn sure didnt run past the ball and touch it all in one motion to ensure the offense could snap the ball. So I went back and watched that last play two years ago and yep..... that ref damn sure didnt let the Cowboys spot the ball.

What a freaking joke. And when we see this stuff..... this is why Cowboys fans get so upset when officiating impacts a game.

Im not saying the result would have been any different. It would have taken an amazing play to pull it out... but things should be the same from the stripes each week.
I'm glad that someone else finally mentioned this. No one besides Boomer Esiason in the media has said anything about it.

When I saw it live I was like 'wait a minute doesn't the ref have to touch the ball or spot the ball'. Just crazy that no one has even talked about it.

Praxit

Reaction score
...lol I hear ya, man. But gotta remember the refs are prone to human error.

Officiating, I feel, is hard work. They probably are under duress to get right calls every time.

What I ask from them. JUST BE FAIR.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

:hammer:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
...lol I hear ya, man. But gotta remember the refs are prone to human error.

Officiating, I feel, is hard work. They probably are under duress to get right calls every time.

What I ask from them. JUST BE FAIR.
thats my point.. how is it fair that our ref runs up and has to grab the damn ball and he moved it back 18 inches.... when he had no freaking clue where the ball actually needed to be spotted. Then in this game that official runs in swipes his hand on the ball as the center is still holding it...... and runs out of their in lightning speed.... how is that "Fair.

Praxit

Reaction score
thats my point.. how is it fair that our ref runs up and has to grab the damn ball and he moved it back 18 inches.... when he had no freaking clue where the ball actually needed to be spotted. Then in this game that official runs in swipes his hand on the ball as the center is still holding it...... and runs out of their in lightning speed.... how is that "Fair.
..thats been our bad luck in recent post season. Hopefully, ends this year. ;)..

MarcusRock

Reaction score
What's this "we," emotional one?

This is where it pays to actually pay attention instead of letting emotions do their thing and playing victim. In the Jets game, if you look at where the receiver came down and where the Jets tried to line up, they lined up behind the receiver's forward progress which had reached the 16 yard line. They lined up at the 17 so there was no need to re-spot the ball, by design or not, who knows. You know this by watching the Side Judge on the sideline marking where the spot of the ball is. He was lined up right where the OL was.

Compare that to what the Cowboys did. Dak slid, so the ball gets spotted where he starts his slide, not where he ends up. Ball should have been just inside the 25. The Cowboys were a full yard ahead of that which is where the Line Judge was on the top sideline, so the official running in got confused because he's supposed to spot where the Line Judge is but time is running out so instead of making the entire OL move back like he should have and he started to do, he instead just leaves it there and then you see the Side Judge on the sideline actually hop forward to give the Cowboys the extra yard they took. If he went by the book, time expires anyway but the Cowboys trying to take an extra yard is what delayed things for them. So there's no victimhood, just one team who knew what would preserve the most time and another team who panicked and shot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
It may not have been a deliberate attempt to change the outcome of the game but it doesn't matter. It may have just been the individual referee's level of adherence to the rules but this must be uniform across the league and apply equally to each group of referees.

Regardless of whether there was criminal intent, it can appear that way and when it does, the league, the teams and even the sport itself is diminished in terms of trust, enjoyment and relevance.

The reputation of the NFL has been severely damaged lately and I think the turning point was the league softening it's attitude towards the gambling industry. The consequences are that they cannot dismiss any claims of corruption among those involved in the sport on the field, especially the refs. Contradictions like the one expressed by the OP should automatically require investigation.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tenor.gif

mldardy

Reaction score
What's this "we," emotional one?

This is where it pays to actually pay attention instead of letting emotions do their thing and playing victim. In the Jets game, if you look at where the receiver came down and where the Jets tried to line up, they lined up behind the receiver's forward progress which had reached the 16 yard line. They lined up at the 17 so there was no need to re-spot the ball, by design or not, who knows. You know this by watching the Side Judge on the sideline marking where the spot of the ball is. He was lined up right where the OL was.

Compare that to what the Cowboys did. Dak slid, so the ball gets spotted where he starts his slide, not where he ends up. Ball should have been just inside the 25. The Cowboys were a full yard ahead of that which is where the Line Judge was on the top sideline, so the official running in got confused because he's supposed to spot where the Line Judge is but time is running out so instead of making the entire OL move back like he should have and he started to do, he instead just leaves it there and then you see the Side Judge on the sideline actually hop forward to give the Cowboys the extra yard they took. If he went by the book, time expires anyway but the Cowboys trying to take an extra yard is what delayed things for them. So there's no victimhood, just one team who knew what would preserve the most time and another team who panicked and shot themselves in the foot.

I don't care where the Jets lined up at. They could have lined up on Jupiter. The refs needed to spot the ball and they didn't. I always see a player look for the ref to throw the ball to or hand the ball to after they get tackled. None of this happened on that play.

Now go write another novel about how you think you know what you are talking about.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

The officiating has gone down hill in the NFL.
It embarrassing ,with as much money as the NFL rakes in, that they can't do better.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I mean....its probably just incompetence by the officiating crew then it is a conspiracy....

Its just silly though.....why should a team lose a game because of that? Its a very stupid rule.

plymkr

Reaction score

There’s a handful of plays/scenarios I use when arguing if the NFL is fixed or not. One of them is the Cowboys 49ers play at the end of the playoff game 2 years ago. Everything you said is true. To add to your point. On that play the ref FARTHEST away from Dak ran 15 yards, bumped into Dak, took the ball from him, set it down, then got out of the way, then blew the whistle.

I’m not 100% convinced the NFL is fixed but I’m not 100% convinced it’s not. There has been some very convincing moments that make me feel it is.

mldardy

Reaction score
Right. But I could've swore the ref picked the ball up and moved it when it was us lol
He did. After Dak got up from his run. He gave the ball the center. The center got down ready to snap the ball, then the dumb *** ref comes from behind Dak, BUMPS into Dak, bends down to tell the center something probably 'I need to move the ball back', the center lets go of the ball and then the ref picks the ball up about a couple of inches off the ground, moves it back about a yard and then the center touches it again to hike it and then the clock ran out to zero.

I never understood why it had to be THAT ref that needed to touch the ball out of all the refs on the field and also move it back.

Last edited: