This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You think players today value winning over money???.....................I have to respectfully disagree.

If that was true, why do you see free agents every offseason leave playoff caliber teams and sign with bottom feeders for more money if they cared about winning over money???

Why is Aiyuk demanding to be traded from the 49ers if they wont give him a market contract if he cared about winning more than money???
I think players want to win, but it is clearly no longer about winning. The money is just so big that now permeates everything. I do not begrudge them. I have no clue how I would behave if I were in their position. Id like to think, being as competitive as I am, it wouldnt matter.... but cmon, 2 million a year more money for 4 years for team A vs team B is life changing money. Hard to be upset with them... but I am. lol
This year, more than any other year im just fed up with this stuff because I feel like our 2 players specifically think the only FAIR deal is if they get the argest contract for their position in the league.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Both are greedy, however only one is constrained by a salary cap to keep their team competitive. Take away the cap and you would really find out who was greedy. Players greed takes money from other players and positions.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak could've lived up to the his agreement years ago. He didn't.

Hard to negotiate when the negotiator doesn't negotiate in good faith.

No, it's not about being cheap, it's about sucking at roster mgmt.
It’s not like Dak doesn’t try and doesn’t have the physical ability. His problem is between the ears. He chokes in big games.

Jerry and Co do suck at roster management. 30 years of futility is the proof.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Ok, Ill repeat it for you:

what if a team were content to let a player play out their deal and then leave? Teams are under NO obligation to give any player an extension. Lamb is currently under contract... so what then? If Dallas said Lamb, we are very happy to have you give us this season at what your contracted pay is, and then you go away. They are not required to do anything with players under contract.

So the team basically just says yep. you are not worth thte money to us, but you are very much worth the final year of your contract to us, so we are going to keep you for your final year, and then let you go do whatever you want. I already know, or I assume what your answer will be... BUT, this is completely legal and agreed to by the players and the owners in the CBA. Its just not in favor of the player, like Lamb.... but oh well, those are the rules we play by.
I think you are the guy that if he was considered the next Patrick Mahomes on a crappy college team...would not play in their pointless end of season Bowl game...and instead would opt to go with the secured NFL rookie bag over risking injury in a pointless game.

Thats what I think. And it sums this all up.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think you are the guy that if he was considered the next Patrick Mahomes on a crappy college team...would not play in their pointless end of season Bowl game...and instead would opt to go with the secured NFL rookie bag over risking injury in a pointless game.

Thats what I think. And it sums this all up.
I think that you refuse to answer a question that completely shows who has the power. You refuse to accept the terms of the CBA that the players themselves agreed to. You just think teams should pony up and bend over for whatever the player asks for.

And you still didnt answer the question, which was expected.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I think that you refuse to answer a question that completely shows who has the power. You refuse to accept the terms of the CBA that the players themselves agreed to. You just think teams should pony up and bend over for whatever the player asks for.

And you still didnt answer the question, which was expected.
Extensions are there to help the player in this situation...every team uses them...and rightfully so, its the right thing to do.

"Jerry, I want to work for you, an extension is in both our best interest...lets get it done"

Lamb isnt asking after one year....hes worked 4 at below market value.

Lets do some math to see who is being greedy:

Lamb has made 14M up to this point...total in 4 years.

He's been a 20M+ player per year the whole time market wise. Thats 80M+ production for 14M.

And Jerry is sitting here refusing to add the 3 extra million per year for 4 or 5 years that Lamb is requesting?

Numbers turns beings evil. Sad world we live in.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Let me back pedal a little here on this whole thing...

I was ignorant for assuming WR's had not reached 35M yet.

I was thinking maybe Jerry was offering 30M and Lamb wanted 33M.

Yikes. I get that the percentages of cap are probably normal compared to recent years...but damn...I did not know we are talking 35M here.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Extensions are there to help the player in this situation...every team uses them...and rightfully so, its the right thing to do.

"Jerry, I want to work for you, an extension is in both our best interest...lets get it done"

Lamb isnt asking after one year....hes worked 4 at below market value.

Lets do some math to see who is being greedy:

Lamb has made 14M up to this point...total in 4 years.

He's been a 20M+ player per year the whole time market wise. Thats 80M+ production for 14M.

And Jerry is sitting here refusing to add the 3 extra million per year for 4 or 5 years that Lamb is requesting?

Numbers turns beings evil. Sad world we live in.
did they give Tyron an extension last year? Did he play out his contract? How many times must I repeat it... Lamb has never played 1 season below market value.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeke was a good draft pick. It just sucked how quickly he went down hill. But for that short run, our team was in the hunt, and each year thats all I can ask for. The year the Rams won the SB a few years back, they were seconds from being bounced in the wildcard weekend. It takes a little good fortune to win won.
I would never take a RB that high in this era of pass happy offense. It was a just another testament to the how the Jones boys don't know how to manage a roster.

Sure some title runs require "good fortune". But when you have strung together as many unfortunate, fruitless seasons as Dallas, there is something else wrong beyond simply being unlucky.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
did they give Tyron an extension last year? Did he play out his contract? How many times must I repeat it... Lamb has never played 1 season below market value.
I think the Zeke Cabo contract clouds this. That colossal blunder clouds it all. Lamb is an elite player. If Jerry was going to be early on a deal it should be with Lamb.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I dont know. I get it, but I dont.

Star producing players are asked to work for below market rates for a few years, like Lamb. How is that not greedy?

Lamb over 4 years is at least 50M in the hole based on top WR pay compared to his rookie deal.

Lamb wants the money back.
Rookie contracts were changed because players that proved nothing were getting paid like they were 7 year proven veterans with elite skillsets and production. Of course owners are greedy, one doesn't cancel out the other.

If you are a player that is taking up 5 to 20% of the cap space with guaranteed money, you are greedy. Let's not even forget, the players making this type of money are also getting endorsement deals which are often better than their NFL contracts and they STILL actively negotiate for bigger contracts with bigger hits on the cap - that prevents a good player from getting signed, it prevents depth signings, it prevents bringing in a big name FA. If a player knows this, and they do, and they still push for a big % hitting contract - they are greedy by definition.

Whether right or wrong within the league rules or if owners are more greedy is a separate discussion.

ben24

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Honestly, I feel like people who think like this are either incredibly greedy themselves or have no idea what's involved with creating a successful team. If the highest paid people in your team are all most interested in maximising their next paycheck then you'll never be successful.

I work in an industry with arguably even less job security than the NFL - the average career length is significantly less than 10 years and at no point do I have any guarantee my job will last beyond the next 12 months. The only thing that guarantees I will have a job into the future is the performance of our team. I am rewarded quite well financially for the risk I am taking with my career, but it is still less than 10% of the number some top NFL players currently make per year.

Despite making only a fraction of what these guys make a year, I have voluntarily given up significantly more (compared to what I have been offered) than these guys are ever generally asked to provide as a "home town discount". Admittedly, a lot of this is self serving because I am aware enough to realise that the best chance of continuing our success as a team is to maintain the best talent - it might cost me in the next paycheck I receive but will likely benefit me in the long term.

There's also a significant part of me that just wants to see the rest of my team well rewarded too though. Much like the NFL, I know that the more I take the less others in the team can get. I think that if people in your team aren't willing to sacrifice at least a bit of what they could potentially make for the sake of others in the team, then it means that there is something wrong within the team dynamic and you will never reach the heights of teams you compete against.

I know very well from experience that no matter how much you earn, part of your mind will always think about what you're missing out on by not asking for the maximum you can. Realistically though, if you're in a team environment and are adamant that you need to get every cent available (when you're making anything beyond a few hundred thousand a year) then it means either you are extremely greedy yourself or the others in the team don't put in enough work that you think they are worthy of any significant pay at all themselves. Either way, you need to get rid of either the greedy or the lazy players if you want to see any kind of success because at least one of those groups is holding you back from winning

plasticman

Reaction score
How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"? During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (Dallas won 22–21), the television announcer Pat Summerall for CBS introduced the Cowboys as America's Team and the name stuck.

AMERICA'S TEAM Trademark of Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. - Registration Number 4349178 - Serial Number 85690447 :: Justia Trademarks.

HERE is the other version:
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/podc...boys-earn-americas-team-nickname-fish-podcast

which is I think the more well known which was NFL Films
While NFL films where the first to use the expression, it was popularized through its marketing by Tex Schram.

"Cowboys GM Schramm had a past history in television as the lieutenant to the head of sports at CBS, Bill MacPhail. Schramm was also once the public relations director with the Kansas City Athletics and eventually became the GM of the Los Angeles Rams."

"Schramm knew exactly what to do with the newly-found moniker, took that distinction, and ran with it."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/894983-how-the-dallas-cowboys-became-known-as-americas-team

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Everyone is greedy more so the owners, but the fact that they don’t have to honor “back end” loaded contracts should be criminal. If they don’t like the player anymore just cut him, no consequences. So I really have no problem with players using leverage to get their money.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I am greedy for playoff wins. Something only fans care about anymore. These turds were too tired to play in the playoffs last year. I have seen enough.