This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
1st Lt. Thomas Landry

Flew 30 missions as a co-pilot in Europe during World War II. He was 19 when he joined.
I knew who it was the first time I saw your avatar.

604b8202b241e.image.jpg

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Players are absolutely greedy. When you are asking for a multi-million dollar guaranteed contract, it's greed. It's greed when you take such an offer and KNOW it in some way impacts your team negatively.

There is no getting around this. If players aren't greedy, then their agents are and players just let their agent handle it all.
I dont know. I get it, but I dont.

Star producing players are asked to work for below market rates for a few years, like Lamb. How is that not greedy?

Lamb over 4 years is at least 50M in the hole based on top WR pay compared to his rookie deal.

Lamb wants the money back.

Cmac

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
Well said......Jerry has some on here blind to the disrespect he's demonstrating and the failure to realize market value does not exclude our players. Jerry is losing the current financial situation, self-destructing any contender hopes, and running any future free-agent ballers away.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
there is money made. somebody has to get it. the NFLPA came to agreement on how they share the profits. same can be said about owners. there is 32 of them and they share about 50% of profits. they have enough to last 50 generations and make enough to be 30 years of pay. why not give players a little more? why is it that players are selfish and not the owners? I don't have sympathy for the owners.
I don't have empathy for the owners or players. Owners are well off and players are also compensated well. I only have empathy for fans who are the ones who make the NFL what it is and can't see their favorite player because of the greed.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I don't have empathy for the owners or players. Owners are well off and players are also compensated well. I only have empathy for fans who are the ones who make the NFL what it is and can't see their favorite player because of the greed.
Then maybe the fans should put their foot down and say enough is enough. It's the fans who suffer every time an owner or player wants more money, yet people keep buying tickets, merch, etc. The fans are the ones responsible for the out of control greed, and are the only ones who can put an end to it. Stop the cash flow and you will see drastic change.

But unfortunately, short of a major recession similar to the great depression of 1929, this will not happen any time soon. People are too eager to fork over their money, and will continue to get pissed off about it when players like Dak and CeeDee demand a raise.

The insanity has to stop eventually, but many of us here at CZ might not be alive long enough to see it when the day finally comes.

Swanny

Reaction score
absolutley wrong. cowboys are 30th in cash spending in the league in past few years. so yeah, you are wrong.
I didn't say the Cowboys were on top of the list for most money spent last year. I said if there was no salary cap there are 4 teams that could outstanding every other team. If you're trying to say Jerry doesn't pay his guys you are delusional. Jerry pays his guys. He is known for that. He has destroyed the Cowboys salary cap situation many times over his career because he pays his guys. It is reason number 1 he should fire himself as GM. He falls in love with his players.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Then maybe the fans should put their foot down and say enough is enough. It's the fans who suffer every time an owner or player wants more money, yet people keep buying tickets, merch, etc. The fans are the ones responsible for the out of control greed, and are the only ones who can put an end to it. Stop the cash flow and you will see drastic change.

But unfortunately, short of a major recession similar to the great depression of 1929, this will not happen any time soon. People are too eager to fork over their money, and will continue to get pissed off about it when players like Dak and CeeDee demand a raise.

The insanity has to stop eventually, but many of us here at CZ might not be alive long enough to see it when the day finally comes.
Definitely agree, it would be great to see NFL fans hold out on their viewership protesting unfair prices and for Cowboy's fans to stand up to a front office that made little attempt to improve the team.

Nav22

Reaction score
If Dak was a 4 time super bowl champion like Mahomes I would pay him what he reportedly is demanding - a market setting, highest in NFL history contract. But the guy can't beat really good teams and disappears in the playoffs every damn year.

For him to demand a contract like that makes him what? GREEDY. It doesn't matter if you agree or not, that's just how it is.
Mahomes has 3 rings, Bozo.
:lmao2:

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont know. I get it, but I dont.

Star producing players are asked to work for below market rates for a few years, like Lamb. How is that not greedy?

Lamb over 4 years is at least 50M in the hole based on top WR pay compared to his rookie deal.

Lamb wants the money back.
You are defining market value as you see fit.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
why not do a sign in trade and get an asset back?

letting him walk is wildly stupid.

allow him to find a suitor right now if the league allows him to be traded and extended elsewhere.

the guy gave 4 years of quality play, has F-U money starring at him...he's earned a secure big bag. unless you are into taking advantage of cheap labor and literally dont care about other peoples well being, which your stance suggests. no one should want any man to miss his big bag.

you seem to have a "golly shucks, its a contract...sorry about his bad luck if he gets injured"...its hard to believe there are 'people' like this.

like...you really dont care about other people if you expect someone in Lamb's shoes to hit the field. "i dont care if he gets hurt, i want my one year of Star production at WR for half price because 'contract'"

if Lamb isnt in Dallas plans...allow him to look for suitors that will extend him now if that is legal. Asking the dude to play in what looks like down year for Dallas and risk injury and lose a ton of money is beyond silly to me. I dont even know if you are trolling me...its that wild of thinking to me.
I love how you didn't answer my question.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t know who’s picture that is in your avatar but Bless him for his service.
Wow.

You must just be a passive casual fan.

REAL Dallas Cowboys fans know that is Tom Landry!

You are embarrassing to the Cowboys’ fan brotherhood…

:facepalm:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I love how you didn't answer my question.
Which one? You asked two.

Ive explained why the contract shouldnt matter here, and why, after 4 years of low pay in a violent sport...Lamb should be able to request TOP WR money before he touches the field again. I havent checked WR pay recently...but I think the top 3 currently all make 30M+. That being said...with an increasing cap and Lamb being very good at his position...he has a right to ask for market resetting contract.

I dont think Lamb is asking for 35M, while the top 3 current contracts are 30 to 31M. But I could be wrong...and that would make Lamb look unreasonable to me.

BUT...the league needs to do something here. No player should have to risk his first big bag and maybe only one...because of extension issues this late into a contract where the player has produced for multiple years.

Again...its not a hard concept. And why contracts are bad because you cant cover everything in them and one party will take a hard line approach on them.

For example: Lets say the issue is not with guaranteed money but the actual AAV. Even if I would agree with Jerry's valuation that of 28 or 29M offer...I think Lamb is a 30M+ player in this market. And I would have to be honest and say that, Lamb would be losing on that deal.

That brings us right down another rabbit hole of..."Well, Jerry offered a very fair deal for an extension and its Lamb that refuses to sign and suit up"...but I still feel Lamb shouldnt hit the field.

If Jerry is offering 30M(which I think he is for the psychology effect of eclipsing 30M figure)...if Lamb wants a market setting deal...I think it would be 32 to 33M. So thats 3M difference per year, and lets say its a 4 year deal...thats 12M Lamb is haggling about.

I dont know...it all becomes very very petty. Seeking a trade should be allowed here if neither side want to budge. But the player should not be expected to risk that big bag because of the contract.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The issue here is fair vs market valuation. Top earners want market value because the money lost on accepting team friendly/fair deals is so much on these large deals you look like a fool if you accept it. Do the math on NFL QB's...most people on this site think Dak is worth 45M, but can demand 55M+ in this market. On a 4 year deal...if Dak took that friendly deal at 45M....he shorted himself 40M dollars. His banker would laugh in his face. And...I dont see people selling their houses for friendly deals when the its a sellers market.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Let me say this again. Teams do not break contracts, EVER! You see a contract has TERMS in the contract. If either party fails to follow the terms agreed to in the contract, the other party could sue and would win. This is why we have contracts. Can I be any more clear about the FACT that teams do not break contracts, EVER! Have you ever seen an NFL player sue a team for breaking a contract?
This is a good point my friend, teams have to abide by the terms of the contract.

If a player is released, the team has to pay that player any guaranteed money left on his contract. That is why the guaranteed money in a contract is one of the most important things negotiated because the higher the guaranteed money, the less likely a player is going to be released.

Another example is when Dak and his agent negotiated a "no trade" and a "no franchise tag" clause in his last contract, so it would in affect tie the Cowboy's hands in terms of their options with him, they either have to pay him or he walks per terms of the contract.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Is there any reason why what the NBA is doing so well with contracts couldnt be done in a league like NFL that has a hard cap.

Just seems like everything about NBA contracts is better than the NFL system. But Im not a guru.

Seems like some sort of designated player option like the NBA has would resolve the issues Dallas is facing with 3 top performers at 3 expensive positions. Yes, Im aware you can only have 2 designated players on an NBA team. But the NFL could have a rule where there are 4 or 5.

Other than the soft cap and luxury tax headache of information....NBA's contracts system seems better. No need to argue about fully guaranteed contracts is BS in the NBA. They have less risk of injury.

All this Dak and Lamb and possibly Parsons stuff could be squelched with some sort of Designated Player option like in the NBA.

plasticman

Reaction score
I should’ve known that. Great Avatar.
The Dallas Cowboys have many similar ties to military service. We all know about Roger Staubach. However, how many know that the Cowboys very first starting quarterback, Eddie LeBaron, received the bronze star in Korea for leading his squad out of an ambush after the commanding officer was killed?

Those coaches and players combined with other programs like the cheerleader's annual involvement in the USO shows overseas created a national fan base and that is why Tex Schram referred to them as America's team.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Because the game of football is not about Jerry Jones to them. it's about what it has always been about when playing the game.

It's about winning. It's about trying to be the best. It's about pride. They can't reach their level without it.
You think players today value winning over money???.....................I have to respectfully disagree.

If that was true, why do you see free agents every offseason leave playoff caliber teams and sign with bottom feeders for more money if they cared about winning over money???

Why is Aiyuk demanding to be traded from the 49ers if they wont give him a market contract if he cared about winning more than money???