This notion that the players are "greedy" is nonsense

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The NFL is a business, and as a business you have employers and employees. Both wanting to maximize their profits and their worth. Call it greed or capitalism, there is a fine line between them. Players hire an agent to represent them and Jerry hires his unqualified son. This is the problem with the Cowboys organization. Run by two dimwits over their head.

But Dak sure ain’t worth 50 or even 60m per season.
Dak might not be worth $50 or $60 million to the Cowboys, but he might be worth that to somebody else.........................that is the issue, is like the old saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

None of us on this board can sit here today and say for a 100% fact that Dak will not get a $60 million a year offer from some team next year because none of us have a crystal ball.

In fact, Dak might actually get more than $60, we dont know, all it takes is just one team and one owner to say yes. So, if you are Dak and you know there might be a chance you could get $60 or even more, why he is being greedy by not accepting less from the Cowboys? This is really the million dollar question of this entire thread, is Dak being greedy if he refuses to sign a contract for less than he thinks he will get as a free agent next year? Yes or No???

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak might not be worth $50 or $60 million to the Cowboys, but he might be worth that to somebody else.........................that is the issue, is like the old saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

None of us on this board can sit here today and say for a 100% fact that Dak will not get a $60 million a year offer from some team next year because none of us have a crystal ball.

In fact, Dak might actually get more than $60, we dont know, all it takes is just one team and one owner to say yes. So, if you are Dak and you know there might be a chance you could get $60 or even more, why he is being greedy by not accepting less from the Cowboys? This is really the million dollar question of this entire thread, is Dak being greedy if he refuses to sign a contract for less than he thinks he will get as a free agent next year? Yes or No???
I mean...i dont read about people selling their houses for fair prices in a sellers market often.

"I paid 250,000 for my house, my neighbor sold his for 550,000...I just took the first offer of 450,000"

Gottem

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The issue here is fair vs market valuation. Top earners want market value because the money lost on accepting team friendly/fair deals is so much on these large deals you look like a fool if you accept it. Do the math on NFL QB's...most people on this site think Dak is worth 45M, but can demand 55M+ in this market. On a 4 year deal...if Dak took that friendly deal at 45M....he shorted himself 40M dollars. His banker would laugh in his face. And...I dont see people selling their houses for friendly deals when the its a sellers market.
That is an excellent point!!!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Is there any reason why what the NBA is doing so well with contracts couldnt be done in a league like NFL that has a hard cap.

Just seems like everything about NBA contracts is better than the NFL system. But Im not a guru.

Seems like some sort of designated player option like the NBA has would resolve the issues Dallas is facing with 3 top performers at 3 expensive positions. Yes, Im aware you can only have 2 designated players on an NBA team. But the NFL could have a rule where there are 4 or 5.

Other than the soft cap and luxury tax headache of information....NBA's contracts system seems better. No need to argue about fully guaranteed contracts is BS in the NBA. They have less risk of injury.

All this Dak and Lamb and possibly Parsons stuff could be squelched with some sort of Designated Player option like in the NBA.
I agree, the NBA model is light years better than the NFL.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I mean...i dont read about people selling their houses for fair prices in a sellers market often.

"I paid 250,000 for my house, my neighbor sold his for 550,000...I just took the first offer of 450,000"

Gottem
Sweet!

Yeah, be it real estate, the stock market, auctions, or whatever else, when did it become that you are considered "greedy" if you demand market value???

I dont remember them teaching that in business classes at UT, in fact I remember them teaching the opposite, maximizing the value of an asset (be it a good or a service) is considered "smart business"

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Sweet!

Yeah, be it real estate, the stock market, auctions, or whatever else, when did it become that you are considered "greedy" if you demand market value???

I dont remember them teaching that in business classes at UT, in fact I remember them teaching the opposite, maximizing the value of an asset (be it a good or a service) is considered "smart business"
Or...how about this one....drum roll...

The expectation that the player is a player on a team and should do team friendly deals.

You cant be a player and a business person...you are only a player that cares about some worthless hardware, lol

Im being trolled.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Or...how about this one....drum roll...

The expectation that the player is a player on a team and should do team friendly deals.

You cant be a player and a business person...you are only a player that cares about some worthless hardware, lol

Im being trolled.
Exactly.............here is the problem with the argument that "its a team game and player's should do team friendly deals".

Pay is not based on team performance, pay is based on individual accomplishments...............that is the system the NFL owners have adopted, they could have had a system where everybody is paid the same but they didnt.

So, you cant create a system where pay is based on individual performance and then complain when the top performers want top money.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Dallas Cowboys have many similar ties to military service. We all know about Roger Staubach. However, how many know that the Cowboys very first starting quarterback, Eddie LeBaron, received the bronze star in Korea for leading his squad out of an ambush after the commanding officer was killed?

Those coaches and players combined with other programs like the cheerleader's annual involvement in the USO shows overseas created a national fan base and that is why Tex Schram referred to them as America's team.
Thanks for the history lesson. Good stuff!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Basically, Jerry seems to be of a mind that nobody is guaranteed a roster spot nowadays. Everybody on the team will be evaluated based upon how they perform, and no guarantees will be forthcoming. Apparently, that revelation was made in response to the GB playoff game, whereby he was bitterly miffed by the players acting "entitled." :(

Last edited:

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Professional sports is one of the few businesses that openly and publicly publishes "employee" salaries and compensation (yes, I know CEO and executive officers of publicly traded companies often have have their compensation listed).

I think it is the "status" of being well-paid or paid the most that drives many players in salary negotiations. They know their salaries will be scrutinized by the media and fans and they want to be compensated accordingly.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how Dak is greedy and Lamb is greedy and how the players need to do what's right, yadda yadda yadda. A NFL players career is extremely short and they hire agents to ensure they maximize their earning potential while they're still in their prime and able to perform at elite levels. Most of these guys don't come from much at all, and know they'll need to stack up everything they can to set themselves up and their families up for life after their career ends.

Owners are BILLIONAIRES. They're mainly older men with extremely deep pockets and no worries about what their future holds in terms of finances. If they don't have the ability to work the salary cap in their favor to keep the talent they have on the team and remain competitive, than the player is the last one to be blamed. NFL players have the worst players association, they don't have guaranteed contracts, they're at risk of CTE, and they're putting their bodies on the line every week to entertain the fans.

Jerry had all the time in the world to extend these guys and his priorities were completely out of whack . So while we want our Cowboys to remain competitive and we want our guys to sign, the only direction fingers should be pointing is at Jerry and his big face son. All this talk about "go out there and earn it, show up in the playoffs and you'll get your money..." that's not how it works. They work through training camp, meetings, practices, the regular season and hopefully the playoffs. They've earned their money and they WILL be paid their money. Supply and demand, just like any other industry. Now if you decide you no longer want to make a run at the super bowl and you're content scrapping the whole thing and starting over, you have that option. I think it's a loser's mentality but it's certainly an option. Either way though, it's not the players fault you can't get your financial affairs in order. The player has created their own value and deserves to be paid for it.
It’s actually worse that that. Ownership and management created the “value”. Look at some of these ridiculous QB contracts to average players including some with bad character (Watson and Murray). It’s astounding now that they complain. Players put it all on the line. They should get paid. Jerry could have locked up Dak years ago. He didn’t and rolled the dice. Now he probably needs to pay $15mm more per year to do that. He screwed up. Now he is too cheap and might let Dak go for NOTHING. It’s terrible roster management.

kskboys

Reaction score
It’s actually worse that that. Ownership and management created the “value”. Look at some of these ridiculous QB contracts to average players including some with bad character (Watson and Murray). It’s astounding now that they complain. Players put it all on the line. They should get paid. Jerry could have locked up Dak years ago. He didn’t and rolled the dice. Now he probably needs to pay $15mm more per year to do that. He screwed up. Now he is too cheap and might let Dak go for NOTHING. It’s terrible roster management.
Dak could've lived up to the his agreement years ago. He didn't.

Hard to negotiate when the negotiator doesn't negotiate in good faith.

No, it's not about being cheap, it's about sucking at roster mgmt.

kskboys

Reaction score

Gottem
Not a good parallel. Players are being made rich w/ the contract. It's a matter of how rich. A guy selling a house may be living paycheck to paycheck, completely different.

kskboys

Reaction score

I think he might.

Flamma

Reaction score

Gottem
You're talking a normal situation. I'd sell my house for not a penny less than market value. But if I already had 50 million, do you think I'm going to haggle over 10k? Probably not. Fans sometimes wonder, what's with these guys?

I just can't blame the players. Over the years the owners taught them well. They'll pay you the least possible, just like any other business. Even if players took a little less, what guarantee do they have the GM will use it wisely?

gtb1943

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys have many similar ties to military service. We all know about Roger Staubach. However, how many know that the Cowboys very first starting quarterback, Eddie LeBaron, received the bronze star in Korea for leading his squad out of an ambush after the commanding officer was killed?

Those coaches and players combined with other programs like the cheerleader's annual involvement in the USO shows overseas created a national fan base and that is why Tex Schram referred to them as America's team.
How can I use that? Why don't we call them "America's Team"? During the Cowboys' first game of the 1979 season, a nationally televised game against the St. Louis Cardinals (Dallas won 22–21), the television announcer Pat Summerall for CBS introduced the Cowboys as America's Team and the name stuck.

AMERICA'S TEAM Trademark of Dallas Cowboys Football Club, Ltd. - Registration Number 4349178 - Serial Number 85690447 :: Justia Trademarks.

HERE is the other version:
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/podc...boys-earn-americas-team-nickname-fish-podcast

which is I think the more well known which was NFL Films

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players demand what they perceive there value might be in the open market. That’s doesn’t mean every team would value them the same. Dallas had tried loading up on offense since the day they chose Zeke #4 overall in the draft and it’s made no difference.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This is a good point my friend, teams have to abide by the terms of the contract.

If a player is released, the team has to pay that player any guaranteed money left on his contract. That is why the guaranteed money in a contract is one of the most important things negotiated because the higher the guaranteed money, the less likely a player is going to be released.

Another example is when Dak and his agent negotiated a "no trade" and a "no franchise tag" clause in his last contract, so it would in affect tie the Cowboy's hands in terms of their options with him, they either have to pay him or he walks per terms of the contract.
You are right, its a GREAT POINT!...lol, but he skipped this post. I laugh when people say teams break the contract all the time by cutting players. No, thats not breaking the contract, the cutting of a player is specifically allowed under the terms of the contract itself. People are either just clueless about this fact or chose to ignore it because it doesnt support the point they are TRYING to make.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Which one? You asked two.
Ok, Ill repeat it for you:

what if a team were content to let a player play out their deal and then leave? Teams are under NO obligation to give any player an extension. Lamb is currently under contract... so what then? If Dallas said Lamb, we are very happy to have you give us this season at what your contracted pay is, and then you go away. They are not required to do anything with players under contract.

So the team basically just says yep. you are not worth thte money to us, but you are very much worth the final year of your contract to us, so we are going to keep you for your final year, and then let you go do whatever you want. I already know, or I assume what your answer will be... BUT, this is completely legal and agreed to by the players and the owners in the CBA. Its just not in favor of the player, like Lamb.... but oh well, those are the rules we play by.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Players demand what they perceive there value might be in the open market. That’s doesn’t mean every team would value them the same. Dallas had tried loading up on offense since the day they chose Zeke #4 overall in the draft and it’s made no difference.
zeke was a good draft pick. It just sucked how quickly he went down hill. But for that short run, our team was in the hunt, and each year thats all I can ask for. The year the Rams won the SB a few years back, they were seconds from being bounced in the wildcard weekend. It takes a little good fortune to win won.