CFZ This organization has one CORE problem with 5 letters

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The core problem has 5 letters: J-O-N-E-S. They are really good at making money. That’s it. They aren’t good at building championship rosters. Sure the QB is not great, the defense is undersized, we have an outdated offense, and a soft culture. But those problems were all caused by the real problem: The top of this organization.

This team needs a rebuild starting at the GM position. Having the same two guys making all the big decisions about this hasn’t worked for so long now just changing or adding to the player mix or changing HCs isn’t going to fix the core problem.
Jerry Jones has hired a good player evaluator for the draft in Will McClay. Without McClay, this organization is a perennial 6-8 win team.

In fact, in my estimation here are the biggest problems and how to fix them:
  • (Before I hear from everyone, I already recognize this won’t happen) Jerry needs to hire a real GM. The Jones FO has a fundamental very bad problem- they don’t realize THEY are the problem. They are surrounded by people that tell them what they want to hear. Until that changes, we will continue this nearly 3 decade cycle. They think they are really good and they aren’t. (Except how to make money) They think waaaaaaaay too highly of their own talent. Which is deadly in a league where other teams are led by men who‘s job depends on their success.
  • It’s time to plan for a new QB- easier said than done, but this organization never seems to get serious about drafting a QB. Look at SF. They had just drafted their “franchise” QB in Trey Lance two years ago and still drafted Brock Purdy in round 7 and got lucky anyway. That never happens here because they don’t even try.
  • This defense is undersized and cannot impose its will without a big lead. Parsons is a great talent but I’m not convinced this team knows how to use him properly. They can’t stop the run when they have to. If Parsons is neutralized, the defense is pedestrian.
  • This offense is outdated and takes few chances- This isn’t the 90s or early 2000s. The “West Coast Offense” is not used much anymore because defenses have figured out how to stop it. It is in essence a very conservative offense that without any real deep threats is anemic.
This embarrassing loss could be used for good if the leaders of this org would allow it. (They won’t)

The rest of this season they should be way more aggressive, continue churning the roster and send the message that NO ONE is guaranteed anything. They won’t do that, but they should.

Sully

Reaction score
The core problem has 5 letters: J-O-N-E-S. They are really good at making money. That’s it. They aren’t good at building championship rosters. Sure the QB is not great, the defense is undersized, we have an outdated offense, and a soft culture. But those problems were all caused by the real problem: The top of this organization.

This team needs a rebuild starting at the GM position. Having the same two guys making all the big decisions about this hasn’t worked for so long now just changing or adding to the player mix or changing HCs isn’t going to fix the core problem.
Jerry Jones has hired a good player evaluator for the draft in Will McClay. Without McClay, this organization is a perennial 6-8 win team.

• (Before I hear from everyone, I already recognize this won’t happen) Jerry needs to hire a real GM. The Jones FO has a fundamental very bad problem- they don’t realize THEY are the problem. They are surrounded by people that tell them what they want to hear. Until that changes, we will continue this nearly 3 decade cycle. They think they are really good and they aren’t. (Except how to make money) They think waaaaaaaay too highly of their own talent. Which is deadly in a league where other teams are led by men who‘s job depends on their success.
  • It’s time to plan for a new QB- easier said than done, but this organization never seems to get serious about drafting a QB. Look at SF. They had just drafted their “franchise” QB in Trey Lance two years ago and still drafted Brock Purdy in round 7 and got lucky anyway. That never happens here because they don’t even try.
  • This defense is undersized and cannot impose its will without a big lead. Parsons is a great talent but I’m not convinced this team knows how to use him properly. They can’t stop the run when they have to. If Parsons is neutralized, the defense is pedestrian.
  • This offense is outdated and takes few chances- This isn’t the 90s or early 2000s. The “West Coast Offense” is not used much anymore because defenses have figured out how to stop it. It is in essence a very conservative offense that without any real deep threats is anemic.
This embarrassing loss could be used for good if the leaders of this org would allow it. (They won’t)

The rest of this season they should be way more aggressive, continue churning the roster and send the message that NO ONE is guaranteed anything. They won’t do that, but they should.
You need to make a copy of your post because you can reuse it again in 10 more years. Nothing will change, as I said 17 years ago and was mocked

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need to make a copy of your post because you can reuse it again in 10 more years. Nothing will change, as I said 17 years ago and was mocked
The only power we have is recognize that a new paint job on the Titanic doesn’t protect against the big iceberg we hit every season. Stop buying the hype. Buy RESULTS NOT HYPE.

I‘ve been guilty of buying into some of the hype. But I should have known all along that the only thing to buy when the Jones boys are in charge is RESULTS.

Praxit

Reaction score

...wont happen, Bullet. We're stuck with Jones family. Stephen is only guy now, I believe. That could change culture in future. Hiring real GM.

Sully

Reaction score
The only power we have is recognize that a new paint job on the Titanic doesn’t protect against the big iceberg we hit every season. Stop buying the hype. Buy RESULTS NOT HYPE.

I‘ve been guilty of buying into some of the hype. But I should have known all along that the only thing to buy when the Jones boys are in charge is RESULTS.
And when I said it, this board put me in BOARD JAIL because I would not buy into past Cowboys fools gold. Told to find a new team. Why am I here. ETC. And I will go out to say this team might not even make the playoffs. Injuries are mounting up and a coach that doesn't know how to use his personnel

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And when I said it, this board put me in BOARD JAIL because I would not buy into past Cowboys fools gold. Told to find a new team. Why am I here. ETC. And I will go out to say this team might not even make the playoffs. Injuries are mounting up and a coach that doesn't know how to use his personnel
I’m sorry you have felt that way. Never let anyone on this forum make you feel less of a fan just because you don’t buy the hype.

Also- there‘s a lot of football left this season. I’m not expecting this but this embarrassment could be used effectively to change this team. But there’s a fool at the top that won’t allow it.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Just posted elsewhere….we are at a massive disadvantage off the field.

Teams like LAR, KC, PHI, SF has QBs that they had moderate success with.

The powers that be knew enough to know that it wouldn’t translate to the next level and they made major ballsy changes at QB

Jerry and kid aren’t even capable, and would rather stay with what’s safe.

We need to get really lucky with a top flight can’t miss QB that doesn’t miss. Meaning….a very bad season has to be perfectly timed with that player being available.

If the Bears end up with the top pick (they also own Carolinas), and Fields plays well they will likely deal it. Think Jerry’s gonna pony up three first rounders plus for Caleb Williams?

Ha…it’ll be more like…”Daks our guy” and a 60 million a year contract extension.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jimmy said, "hit me in the head with a hammer if I ever draft another dumb football player", or something like that. Jerry does not draft smart players and that is a big problem when your QB is not eve close to being the smartest player on the field. I am talking about football intelligence, of course.

Dak has repeatedly come up small in big games. What does that say? The playoffs are big games so if Dak facing a major challenge he will not win. That means no SB for Dallas. So yes, the time is now to get a QB who knows what he is doing. Is Lance that guy? I trust SF since they found Purdy. The answer is apparently, no. Lance wasn't even their second choice. He was behind the multiple time failure Sam Darnold.

I also agree with the comment about undersized defense. They can be bullied up front as they were last night. Maybe Mazi develops into something in a year or two.

I think the difference in this game was the 49ers offensive line playing with much more physicality than the Cowboys OL. The 49ers were blocking everyone all the time. They were looking to hit people. I did not see that from Dallas. Maybe its because they are all banged up and they are trying to avoid aggravating their injuries, but that was a big difference between these two teams.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jimmy said, "hit me in the head with a hammer if I ever draft another dumb football player", or something like that. Jerry does not draft smart players and that is a big problem when your QB is not eve close to being the smartest player on the field. I am talking about football intelligence, of course.

Dak has repeatedly come up small in big games. What does that say? The playoffs are big games so if Dak facing a major challenge he will not win. That means no SB for Dallas. So yes, the time is now to get a QB who knows what he is doing. Is Lance that guy? I trust SF since they found Purdy. The answer is apparently, no. Lance wasn't even their second choice. He was behind the multiple time failure Sam Darnold.

I also agree with the comment about undersized defense. They can be bullied up front as they were last night. Maybe Mazi develops into something in a year or two.

I think the difference in this game was the 49ers offensive line playing with much more physicality than the Cowboys OL. The 49ers were blocking everyone all the time. They were looking to hit people. I did not see that from Dallas. Maybe its because they are all banged up and they are trying to avoid aggravating their injuries, but that was a big difference between these two teams.
The niners were more physical at every single position I saw last night.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
The niners were more physical at every single position I saw last night.
Undeniably.
it kind of reminded me of the early 90's Cowboys with Jimmy and Playmaker and that "U" Attitude they seemed to carry with them.

They didn't just want to win football games, they wanted to break you down to nothing physically and mentally.
those teams were mean. "Eye of the Tiger" if you will. I think of guys like Erik Williams and Kevin Gogan and Kenny Norton etc.
Just physical and mean as hell. Fun to watch.

Frisco has that edge to them. That's a very good football team we played last night.
A lot can change over the course of a season but candidly, i don't see a team in the NFL this moment that can play with the Niners if they are "up" and ready to go.
They are impressive.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Undeniably.
it kind of reminded me of the early 90's Cowboys with Jimmy and Playmaker and that "U" Attitude they seemed to carry with them.

They didn't just want to win football games, they wanted to break you down to nothing physically and mentally.
those teams were mean. "Eye of the Tiger" if you will. I think of guys like Erik Williams and Kevin Gogan and Kenny Norton etc.
Just physical and mean as hell. Fun to watch.

Frisco has that edge to them. That's a very good football team we played last night.
A lot can change over the course of a season but candidly, i don't see a team in the NFL this moment that can play with the Niners if they are "up" and ready to go.
They are impressive.
Agree that SF just slaughtered us all night physically. Hate to say it but the team’s lack of fight last night reminded me a little bit of the Wade Phillips’ last game at GB back in 2010. This team is 3-2 instead of that 1-7 team in 2010 so I don’t see Big Mac getting canned…yet. But man that team quit last night.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Agree that SF just slaughtered us all night physically. Hate to say it but the team’s lack of fight last night reminded me a little bit of the Wade Phillips’ last game at GB back in 2010. This team is 3-2 instead of that 1-7 team in 2010 so I don’t see Big Mac getting canned…yet. But man that team quit last night.
You're not wrong.

they were totally beaten and outclassed. Physically, mentally, whatever.
Complete butt kicking.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
the way to get to jones is to cut off his money supply. stop going to games. stop buying merchendise. boo the team while there. it will get his attention as he is the ultimate marketing man.
problem is there is a core set of Cowboys fans, like most of us here, who more than willingly wil ldo that. but there is the other 98% who he markets too, which will continue to go to the games. continue to buy merchandise and all they care about is game day experience and nothing much. so Jones will continue, given his primary goal is not to win a championship. that would be a nice to have. his primary goal is to increase franchise value. that's why cowboys are #1 most valuable franchise in the world.

nothing will change given now, at his age, about 1.5 ft away from the grave, he is more delusional, more desparate and will be afraid to rebuild or give control to anybody else, since that would be admitting he was bad.

so as long as he lives, and I am not wishing death on him, even if it means he lives to be a 100, we need to understand nothing is going to change and we are going to be exactly this way.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score

What you have in Boldface is spot-on, Bob.

You've also presented the idea of taking what you saw on the field (embarrassing loss) and using that intel to help guide future decisions. Again, you captured what unfortunately will happen (they won't).

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Everyone in the world knows what needs to happen except the Jones boys. We know it will never happen and it’s so frustrating to even talk about.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
As furious and disgusted as I think we are about last night, I think it's important that we Cowboys fans remember one thing. Dak and Mike McCarthy's struggles are symptoms, not the disease. You might be asking what I mean by that. Let me explain.

It's been 28 years since the Cowboys last won a SB. I've only been part of about 23-24 years of it having started as the 21st century began. That said, it seems clear that there was a dark toxic cloud that formed over the Cowboys following the Jimmy and Jerry debacle. That cloud is like a hurricane mixed with nuclear fallout. It has rotted the Cowboys culture to the core. You would think that the Joneses could at least accident their way to an NFCC at some point in that time period. They can't. Either the players weren't enough, the coaches failed, or the luck just wasn't on our side. Look at the injuries we've had. Look what happened to Diggs.

While it's fun to debate Dak and all the other QBs we have and the coaches, it's all moot. Unfortunately, we are going to struggle under this toxic storm until Jerry or his offspring do what's right. I think if Jerry or his offspring put Jimmy in the ring, then this curse will be lifted. Jerry must either do the right thing, or die (as he won't sell the team, it makes him too much money, which he can't take wherever he goes after death). Hopefully, Stephen will be decent enough to put Jimmy in the ring. Once this happens, I think we will see the culture reverse, and we might finally have hope. Until then, the problems that this team has are symptoms of Jerry's narcissism.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
That team in 2010 was predicted to go to the SB too. The Cowboy players always believe their own hype.