This really bugs me about our front office

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what bugs me is that we are going into this week with only 8 DL on the roster, with Tapper likely not ready to play cause of injury. but yet we can take 4 RB's and 5 safeties to the game.

We don't know the status of Tapper. Unless someone came out and said he is still injured. I may have missed that. But then again, if it was said, there would be a 250 page mega thread whining about him.
And there is a reason for those 4 RB's and 5 S's, and it's called a game plan.
Actually 3 RB's, as one is a FB / RB, and has versatility. Tells me they plan to keep a fresh supply of RB's to pound the ball, but keep them guessing on the D also.

This D does use a lot of extra DB's at times and will need them in coverage. Often there are not always 3 LB's on the field.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I am talking about when he was drafted.

I quoted a guy posting about how many defensive pro bowls players drafted by coaches made it to.

I don't even care about Wares release right now.

If he was to stay around and continue to be effective he needed a Miller type player on the other side of him.

not sure what you are talking about, I am referencing your ware didn't want to draft 94 bit. Its not accurate. They were rated the same and parcells leaned towards merriman. Broaddus told me and dcfanatic this story back in 08 on his radio show. The front office like merriman also but he was represented by the poston brothers and they did not want to deal with him. So they took parcells into the office and talked about merriman holding out and they all agreed to go ware.

jday

Reaction score
Pick # 217 that was used on Rico Gathers who never had any chance at making the roster could have been used on a player that could have been useful here.

The Giants for the second year in a row have found a quality defensive end in the rookie free agent pool. Last year it was Kerry Wynn this year its Romeo Okwara.

With the 6th round pick #217 Dallas took Gathers while Okwara just sat there. Now no one drafted him so something about him was a turn off, but if you are defensive needy team which is putting it mildly concerning this team How do you not gamble on the end instead of guy who has never played football.

I simply do not understand this logic. Okwara had a great camp in NY and made the team. I do not know if he will dress on gameday this week but I bet he does since they plan to use JPP and Owa Ziggy as interior pass rushers in the nickel and other sets.

This just really bugs me and I would love to know who made that call, I asked broaddus and he said Dallas had Okwara on the board and chose gathers.

That is nuts. It reminds me of 2006 when the saints had success with marques colston and Parcells was mad and told the media during a PC that he had specifically sent scouts to hofstra and they didn't recognize Colston as a draft able talent.

Instead of having a guy like Okwara rushing as a reserve this sunday we will have kyle wilber and we will have to block okwara.

I simply do not understand decisions like this. Its completely void of reason. Drafting gathers when players who could still help were available is a problem, I am convinced since Garrett has taken over he has surrounded himself with people who can not recognize defensive talent. Something needs to change in regards to drafting defensive players.
At the same time, Witten days are numbered...the Cowboys could have devoted another high pick to a TE that would be underutilized like Escobar...it's a long shot for any TE to replace Witten. At least this way we didn't have to waste a high pick or valuable spot on the 53 to develop a TE in waiting.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that we don't use our late picks like we should....we need to be throwing draft picks at positions of need and for guys that have dropped significantly. We could have used the Jackson and Gathers picks for S, LB, DE and been much more effective IMO.

This is the one thing that irks me about the FO. They waste too many picks on future / potential type players. Not a one have seemed to work out yet. But they may have hit on Nzeocha. Hopefully anyway.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I agree that we don't use our late picks like we should....we need to be throwing draft picks at positions of need and for guys that have dropped significantly. We could have used the Jackson and Gathers picks for S, LB, DE and been much more effective IMO.

People scream about BPA.

Then they scream about not drafting for need.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
rod smith should be viewed as a ST player. Keith can actually block a little for all the handwaving Broaddus did on the one he missed.

I know this is the common perception but I think they like Rod Smith, I think they like his versatility. Last year and this summer they send him out wide and move him around.

I really am not sure either smith sees the field on offense this week tbh. When we go to that heavy 3 tight end set with the Tackle as the third tight end in short yardage and goal line might be the only time.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
that was a money issue. It wasn't stephen and jerry identifying the better talent, they didn't want to deal with the postons. When they explained to parcells that he would hold out and missed time they all agreed on ware.

broaddus has been telling this story since 08 and people still can't get it right.

Broaddus isn't always right either.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course you have to wait, but look at the roster right now, a guy like okwara would make the team and help right away.
Again, it's the 6th round for Gathers. All teams passed on drafting Romeo Okwara. There were 253 picks in the draft and nobody picked him.

There is a reason for the saying: Hindsight is 20/20.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
It's the logic of a risk-taker looking to strike it big and is willing to lose with regularity in pursuit of big payoff.

this doesn't strike me as a jerry thing. Seems like a failure collectively.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Again, it's the 6th round for Gathers. All teams passed on drafting Romeo Okwara. There were 253 picks in the draft and nobody picked him.

There is a reason for the saying: Hindsight is 20/20.

and I stated that in my first post, for some reason no one drafted him.

would anyone have drafted gathers?

Vanilla2

Reaction score
not sure what you are talking about, I am referencing your ware didn't want to draft 94 bit. Its not accurate. They were rated the same and parcells leaned towards merriman. Broaddus told me and dcfanatic this story back in 08 on his radio show. The front office like merriman also but he was represented by the poston brothers and they did not want to deal with him. So they took parcells into the office and talked about merriman holding out and they all agreed to go ware.

I misread what you meant in your original post.

So Parcells liked merriman more?

They had a meeting

And Parcells agreed Ware was the pick?

Sounds like we are saying the same thing.

Vanilla2

Reaction score

Didn't they not want to deal with bidding against other teams after the draft ?

speedkilz88

Reaction score

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/romeo-okwara?id=2555257

STRENGTHS
Mindful of contain responsibilities and fights against being hooked on run plays to perimeter. Good arm length with big hands. Has natural upper body strength with decent power in his hands.

WEAKNESSES
Pad level is sky high and loses leverage almost immediately. Extremely raw. Slow reaction time off the snap and doesn’t have the twitch to burst upfield and threaten an edge as a rusher. Stiff and struggles with direction change. Lacks instincts and pass rush talent.

DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 6 or 7

BOTTOM LINE
Big edge player who looks great on the hoof, but who is extremely stiff and mechanical in his movements. Okwara is missing the quickness to be an NFL pass rusher while being a block magnet in the running game. Unless he finds a way to unleash his natural power and have it translate to production on the field, making a roster will be exceptionally difficult.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I thought it was a waste as well.

Personally I would have rather had Charone Peake, Alex McCallister Scooby Wright and probably another dozen players before him.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I misread what you meant in your original post.

So Parcells liked merriman more?

They had a meeting

And Parcells agreed Ware was the pick?

Sounds like we are saying the same thing.

no your post was that parcells didn't think ware was good enough and jerry identified ware as the better player.

it was business. they knew merriman would hold out and talent wise they were the same.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You're basically saying that the Cowboys should always draft players that will make the final 53. No teams does that in the 6th round.

They liked Gathers and they drafted him. There were 25 teams reported to be interested in him pre-draft.

I prefer they draft a player they like over hoping to get that player as a UDFA. See Thomas Rawls. They thought they could get him as a UDFA and almost did, but he changed his mind. They could have just drafted him.