This will be Jason Garrett's 9th Coordinator in a decade

Zordon

Reaction score
DC: Paul Pasqualoni, Rob Ryan, Monte Kiffin, Rod Marinelli, Kris Richard
OC: Jason Garrett, Bill Callahan, Scott Linehan, '19 Coordinator

Has any head coach in history been afforded so many coordinator changes with little to no playoff success? I don't know how Garrett the con-man does it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Has any head coach in history been afforded so many coordinator changes with little to no playoff success?
To be fair on defense, since Kiffin, it’s been a continuation of the same scheme. They’ve kept promoting to keep guys. Not fired them.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seeing as our functional DC has only been here one season, and we won a playoff game, and we're getting a new OC this season, I don't see the purpose of the point you're trying to make.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Has any head coach in history been afforded so many coordinator changes with little to no playoff success? I don't know how Garrett the con-man does it.

Misleading title and a leading question on what is a completely unsupported claim.

Coaching turnover is pretty famously high. 1/4 of HC were fired this year as well as their staffs and many more assistant coaches leaguewide.

If you want to make a informed, convincing point you need to better than this.

CB61

Reaction score

Bill Callahan refused to resign not sure if they wanted him or not but after they brought lenihan in Callahan got out of town fast I don't know if he was going to be resigned or not but his contract was up when he left they didn't say whether they fired him or not only that he was leaving to go to the Commanders and look at the job he's done there with a Home Depot / Lowe's offense of line

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This really means nothing unless you have the numbers on other coaches that lasted as long as Garrett has. The average for most coaches is not 8 seasons.

This post is dumb. Most successful OCs and DCs get snagged and the coordinator job is a revolving door, for the most part.

Pants

Reaction score
the irony is that usually the coordinators get pilfered, in the case of the dysfunctional cowboys, they are scapegoats (although, most were not good at all)

khiladi

Reaction score
Linehan was brought here via Garrett. Garrett interfered with Callahan as OC, the latter was changing the offense. Jerry after the season, removed Garrett from the OC position, but compromised as as not to change the offense, which is why they brought in Linehan as the play-caller.

This made Callahan pretty upset and even Jerry said it wasn’t fair to him and JG was effectively the play-caller, t they weren’t going to let Callahan leave to interview for OC positions, which he had some interest, and he had to play out the final year of his contract. Callahan bounced as soon as the season was over and Cowboys couldn’t do anything about it irrespective.

Jason worked under Linehan in Miami. Another guy that Jason brought in that failed was Dooley, the WR coach and he was one of the scapegoats last year.
So now Linehan is the new scapegoat, but it’s clear this was a Jerry move.

As I said, Jerry will always shuffle coordinators now, while protecting Garrett. I’m pretty sure Jerry and Co. have connections in the media to set the grounds for blaming other than Garrett.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When your organization is centered in dysfunction, trying to make normal sense out of the moves they have made or will make is a crapshoot.

When the owner believes after 23 years, he can organize and establish an NFL roster and coaching staff “his way” and win a championship, all we as fans can do is hope that Lady Luck smiles on us at some point. It’s the “broken clock right twice a day” or “blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while” theories.