This won't be pretty

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Everyone rips on Campo but he never had a shot. Setup to fail from day 1 with an aging team and Jerry running the show. The front office’s complete inability to make a competent decision killed that team.

Never had a chance. But for the most part, the defense always gave maximum effort. Credit to Campo and Zim.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think McClay has done a great job and expect nothing less this season. I don't see this as anything akin to Campo and Lacewell days.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I have to admit that I've never bought into the theory that Jones only hired Parcells to get a stadium built. I think he saw the opportunity to get the team out of the ditch and back to respectability. The decisions made between Jimmy and Parcells helped to turn Jones and the Cowboys into a laughingstock. He needed to do something drastic to break that cycle, because prior to Big Bill they were a trainwreck.

There's a video of Jerry drunkenly admitting that was the only reason he hired Bill. If I can find it I will gladly pass it on. Jerry needed public support for funding the death star, and without providing some proof that he was committed to winning he knew he would never get it. That was the only reason why Bill was hired.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Some advance warning that what you are about to read will not be pleasant. Stop now if you don't want to see what just might be the absolute worst year in Dallas Cowboys history. This isn't some Cowboys bashfest or an attempt to bring everyone down. It's simply a history lesson. A trip down memory lane and some valuable lessons in what not to do.

So again, if you're going to be offended by the topic, do me, yourself, and everyone else a favor and don't read any further because it's not pretty and you won't like what you see.

This is a story about the 2000 Vowboys and how they may be the worst team in franchise history. Not in terms of record, we've seen worse there. But in terms of sheer incompetence, poor decision-making, and outright mistakes.

In my opinion, nothing can top the year 2000 for being the absolute pits in terms of poor choices, and watching this team being screwed up for decades. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, and every choice and decision was proven to be the wrong one. Not just a little wrong either, but Hall of Fame worthy wrong.

First, Jerry Jones made the decision to fire Chan Gailey. This after the man had an above .500 record and made the playoffs both years he was here.

To replace him? Jones made the worst choice he possibly could make - Dave frickin' Campo. The "last man standing" from the glory days. While names like Bill Belicheck were signing on to coach the Patriots - and how did that turn out? - Jerry Jones made the decision to go with Dave Campo.

To follow that up, the decision was made to trade away not one, but two 1st round draft picks for Joey Galloway. This move was made in an attempt to replace Michael Irvin who's career was abruptly ended. One bad thing happening after another. And on top of that, Galloway needed a new big, fat contract. Bad enough, right? No, it gets worse. Much, much worse.

During a week one blowout loss, in-over-his-head-coach Dave Campo has Galloway stay in the game. After starting QB Troy Aikman's had suffered a severe concussion and the day was lost. Only for Galloway himself to tear his ACL and be lost for the season. Thanks coach!

Then we come to the NFL Draft that year. In trying to replace cornerback Deion Sanders who had bolted to the rival Commanders (thanks Deion! You ******* mercenary!), the Cowboys decided to just throw whatever remaining draft picks they had left at cornerbacks. Of the 5 total picks they had left, they used 3 of them on cornerbacks.

2 pick 49 Dwayne Goodrich DB Tennessee

4 pick 109 Kareem Larrimore DB West Texas A&M

5 pick 144 Michael Wiley RB Ohio State

6 pick 180 Mario Edwards DB Florida State

7 pick 219 Orantes Grant LB Does anyone really care?

The claim to fame of this group would be Dwayne Goodrich, and the fact that he never did anything on the field, but got drunk and killed people while reckless driving off the field. That's it. It was a complete washout.

By the way, the 2000 draft was where QB Tom Brady came from. And it also happened to coincide with the final season of Troy Aikman's career. You couldn't have written up this tragedy any better if you tried.

I'm sure everyone knows the rest, Campo showed he never deserved the job in the first place, the team suffered through not one, not two, but three 5-11 seasons in finding that out, and the organization spiraled into a funk that showed no end in sight until Bill Parcells rode in to the rescue and helped to reestablish a lost level of respectability.

There have been mistakes made before and since, and some down seasons, but I can't help but to look back at the year 2000 as the very worst, and most destructive in the history of the franchise.

And if you've actually kept reading to this point, good for you o glutton for punishment! I'm wondering if you can think of a worse time of decision-making and ineptitude?

Mario Edwards was decent.
But, lad, thanks for all this.
This is the kind of analysis that I'd be willing to pay money for.

Londonboy

Reaction score
'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.'
- George Santayana

Because I can. Because I can handle it when things aren't good and don't have to shut my eyes to it or pretend it never happened.

You can decide who you are.
Remember the Alamo.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Well they brought in Coop and that was more than enough FA for that season. They dont need to go crazy.

In your opinion what other position other than WR would you have acquired a FA for?

Imo it would have been at WR(which it did), and safety. But I was even willing to wait this next season for safety instead of getting everything all in one season.

Take it one season at a time.

And even at that I think we should take safety in the draft. I am just not a big fan of FA. When you suffer through alot of terrible years like alot of cowboys fans did along with cap hell, you look at things a little different.
I was speaking in more general terms but this year Safety and/or DT would be the biggest bang for the buck.

I was suffering right there with you and I know what you mean.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I remember not being able to watch that first game and seeing the headline on DallasCowboys.com about us being destroyed, Aikman having a concussion and Galloway tearing his ACL and thinking it must be a joke or something. I was younger then and always got so hyped up about our team in the off-season thinking we were going to be great and then losing all that optimism after the first game.

Bad times.

Try being AT the game...with your brand new Galloway jersey on. :(:oops:

rags747

Reaction score
2000 was the best. It forced Jerry to hire Bill Parcells to get his stadium leading to Romo and Demarcus Ware Years. It lead to the firing of Larry Lacewell as Director of Player Personnel who drafted from 1994-2002.

The problem is that Jerry Jones keeps firing or running off Super Bowl Winning Head Coaches (Landry, Johnson and Parcells).
Landry was toast when Jones released him...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems like poker just isn't his game...

b59ea63f6b485854f6573e3cf1216682.gif

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Some advance warning that what you are about to read will not be pleasant. Stop now if you don't want to see what just might be the absolute worst year in Dallas Cowboys history. This isn't some Cowboys bashfest or an attempt to bring everyone down. It's simply a history lesson. A trip down memory lane and some valuable lessons in what not to do.

So again, if you're going to be offended by the topic, do me, yourself, and everyone else a favor and don't read any further because it's not pretty and you won't like what you see.

This is a story about the 2000 Vowboys and how they may be the worst team in franchise history. Not in terms of record, we've seen worse there. But in terms of sheer incompetence, poor decision-making, and outright mistakes.

In my opinion, nothing can top the year 2000 for being the absolute pits in terms of poor choices, and watching this team being screwed up for decades. Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong, and every choice and decision was proven to be the wrong one. Not just a little wrong either, but Hall of Fame worthy wrong.

First, Jerry Jones made the decision to fire Chan Gailey. This after the man had an above .500 record and made the playoffs both years he was here.

To replace him? Jones made the worst choice he possibly could make - Dave frickin' Campo. The "last man standing" from the glory days. While names like Bill Belicheck were signing on to coach the Patriots - and how did that turn out? - Jerry Jones made the decision to go with Dave Campo.

To follow that up, the decision was made to trade away not one, but two 1st round draft picks for Joey Galloway. This move was made in an attempt to replace Michael Irvin who's career was abruptly ended. One bad thing happening after another. And on top of that, Galloway needed a new big, fat contract. Bad enough, right? No, it gets worse. Much, much worse.

During a week one blowout loss, in-over-his-head-coach Dave Campo has Galloway stay in the game. After starting QB Troy Aikman's had suffered a severe concussion and the day was lost. Only for Galloway himself to tear his ACL and be lost for the season. Thanks coach!

Then we come to the NFL Draft that year. In trying to replace cornerback Deion Sanders who had bolted to the rival Commanders (thanks Deion! You ******* mercenary!), the Cowboys decided to just throw whatever remaining draft picks they had left at cornerbacks. Of the 5 total picks they had left, they used 3 of them on cornerbacks.

The claim to fame of this group would be Dwayne Goodrich, and the fact that he never did anything on the field, but got drunk and killed people while reckless driving off the field. That's it. It was a complete washout.

By the way, the 2000 draft was where QB Tom Brady came from. And it also happened to coincide with the final season of Troy Aikman's career. You couldn't have written up this tragedy any better if you tried.

I'm sure everyone knows the rest, Campo showed he never deserved the job in the first place, the team suffered through not one, not two, but three 5-11 seasons in finding that out, and the organization spiraled into a funk that showed no end in sight until Bill Parcells rode in to the rescue and helped to reestablish a lost level of respectability.

There have been mistakes made before and since, and some down seasons, but I can't help but to look back at the year 2000 as the very worst, and most destructive in the history of the franchise.

And if you've actually kept reading to this point, good for you o glutton for punishment! I'm wondering if you can think of a worse time of decision-making and ineptitude?
That sad tale is a day at the park for Browns fans.

Fredbeard

Reaction score

I still remember that game. It was the weekend before I started my freshman year of high school. I think deuce Staley rushed for like 200 yards in that game.hard to believe it's been almost twenty years ago

Flamma

Reaction score
Then in 2001 we drafter Quincy Carter. Then I think it was 2005 when Dallas drafted Ware and Spears in the first round while Aaron Rodgers was still on the board. Dallas currently had an aging Drew Bledsoe at the time.