CFZ This would make the Cowboys ROH fairer and more respectable

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching the Cowboys ROH become the personal play thing of Jerry Jones is very sad. Every Cowboys fan who has followed the team for decades knows Jimmy Johnson should be in the Cowboys ROH. Sadly, the pettiness of JJ is cheapening what should be a wonderful reflection of this great sports institution.

As it stands today, one vindictive 80 year old man is in the ONLY decider of who gets in the Cowboys ROH. That’s insane.
Here‘s a process I think would make the ROH fairer and more respectable
:
  • The team should appoint a select committee who will use a process to select members of the ROH.
    • Members of the committee would include every living member of the ROH, 3 current members of the current Cowboys team who have been with the team 5 or more years, a member of the front office, and 3 long time local sports writers who have covered the Cowboys for decades (Which is what the Pro Football HOF does)
  • The ROH committee would meet once a year in the off-season to decide if anyone should be inducted.
  • Induction into the ROH would require a 3/4 majority of the committee’s vote.
  • No one would be eligible for the ROH until a minimum of five seasons has passed since their retirement.
The current “system” we have is ridiculous. Fans and the team’s former great players and coaches should not be subject to pettiness of one man to make this prestigious group.

Thoughts?

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
As it stands today, one vindictive 80 year old man is in the ONLY decider of who gets in the Cowboys ROH. That’s insane,

The current “system” we have is ridiculous. Fans and the team’s former great players and coaches should not be subject to pettiness of one man to make this prestigious group.

Thoughts?
Yea. And that’s why your idea, even though, it’s very good, will never be implemented. The wrinkled old bag of ego who bought the team as his personal toy would never let anybody play with it like this.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s worse about the current system is that Jones is going to start inducting guys who don’t even have rings.
And what happens if JJ becomes completely senile and names some random player he loved who is clearly not deserving? If you look at what other organizations do, they make it harder for one person to dominate the decision making.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Watching the Cowboys ROH become the personal play thing of Jerry Jones is very sad. Every Cowboys fan who has followed the team for decades knows Jimmy Johnson should be in the Cowboys ROH. Sadly, the pettiness of JJ is cheapening what should be a wonderful reflection of this great sports institution.

As it stands today, one vindictive 80 year old man is in the ONLY decider of who gets in the Cowboys ROH. That’s insane.
:
  • The team should appoint a select committee who will use a process to select members of the ROH.
    • Members of the committee would include every living member of the ROH, 3 current members of the current Cowboys team who have been with the team 5 or more years, a member of the front office, and 3 long time local sports writers who have covered the Cowboys for decades (Which is what the Pro Football HOF does)
  • The ROH committee would meet once a year in the off-season to decide if anyone should be inducted.
  • No one would be eligible for the ROH until a minimum of five seasons has passed since their retirement.

Thoughts?
For one ,

I'm really tired of this subject... I get it I wish they would put Jimmy Johnson in to shut everyone up he deserves it ,

yes but you're asking the man who owns the team you're actually telling him how he should run his team nobody runs your house but you don't want governmental or any outside sources telling you how to run your house....

this is his house, like it or not, I realize the Dallas Cowboys appear to be belong to the fans and yes it seems petty but I'm sure he has his reasons...​
I agree if they came up with a plan like this that would be fine with me as well but this is a very dead horse beating subject it will happen when it happens and it may happen someday soon or after Jerry's gone but it will happen....​

And I think they need to have some rules also on how a player can be eligible

• like at least like they do with the Hall of Fame he has to have been retired at least five years from the NFL before even being considered; coaches or players...
  • have to be ranked highly in stats like top 5 all-time Cowboys rankings in some area of stat keeping.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Nice idea, but the supreme dictator ain't having none of that. There's quite a few glaring omissions that should be corrected.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as I have been told in the past, his business, his rules
The idea that an NFL franchise is 100% the property of one individual is as ancient as the pyramids. Owning an NFL team is NOT like owning a family lumber business which in that case you should have total autonomy. Sports team owners are also beholden to the communities that have supported their teams.

In the case of the Dallas franchise:
  • While Jerry has certainly done a great job of increasing the value of the Cowboys and all NFL teams, he did not buy the browns. He bought “America’s Team” which already had a great brand when he bought it.
  • The voters in Irving and Arlington have certainly padded his wallet through paying for most of the building of the two stadiums the Cowboys have played in since he bought the team. A family lumber company doesn’t have taxpayers build stuff for them.
Here’s what an owner of a modern sports owes its community:
  • While Jerry and the Jones family are entitled to the profits of the franchise, they also have an obligation to their community to not make the team a “personal toy”.
  • Almost all modern sports teams have a much higher commitment to be accountable to their fans and community. Look at the article I linked at how many teams now use committees rather than one dictator to decide their ROH.
I could go on. But saying that the owner of the Dallas Cowboys is the same as owning a family donut shop or restaurant is ridiculous. Owners of sports franchises owe a lot to the communities where they reside and where they receive huge tax breaks other “family” businesses do not.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

:

Thoughts?
I'm on board with the 'committee' thing, but there's one small problem. Guess who would say he has final say on all committee decisions?

RS12

Reaction score
As long as the senile ego maniac is above ground nothing changes.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There should be a committee with built in criteria. This would eliminate any judgement calls or personal feelings.

Just like the HOF, it's only as exclusive and prestigious at the worst member inducted. Lowering the bar (even for one person) weakens everything.

Just like the R&R HOF. It's a total joke because some of the members aren't close to being worthy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And what happens if JJ becomes completely senile and names some random player he loved who is clearly not deserving? If you look at what other organizations do, they make it harder for one person to dominate the decision making.
It’s a shame bc the ROH predates his reign over the cowboys. He didn’t invent it. It is for the fans not him.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
The idea that an NFL franchise is 100% the property of one individual is as ancient as the pyramids. Owning an NFL team is NOT like owning a family lumber business which in that case you should have total autonomy. Owners are also beholden to the communities that have supported their teams.

In the case of the Dallas franchise:
  • While Jerry has certainly done a great job of increasing the value of the Cowboys and all NFL teams, he did not buy the browns. He bought “America’s Team” which already had a great brand when he bought it.
  • The voters in Irving and Arlington have certainly padded his wallet through paying for most of the building of the two stadiums the Cowboys have played in since he bought the team. A family lumber company doesn’t have taxpayers build stuff for them.
Here’s what an owner of a modern sports owes its community:
  • While Jerry and the Jones family are entitled to the profits of the franchise, they also have an obligation to their community to not make the team a “personal toy”.
  • Almost all modern sports teams have a much higher commitment to be accountable to their fans and community. Look at the article I linked at how many teams now use committees rather than one dictator to decide their ROH.
I could go on. But saying that the owner of the Dallas Cowboys is same as owning a family donut shop or restaurant is ridiculous. Owners of sports franchises owe a lot to the communities where they reside and where they receive huge tax breaks other “family” businesses d not.
next time I'm in Dallas, I will demand an audience with Jerry to tell how run his unit. I will let you know how it goes.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There should be a committee with built in criteria. This would eliminate any judgement calls or personal feelings.

Just like the HOF, it's only as exclusive and prestigious at the worst member inducted. Lowering the bar (even for one person) weakens everything.

Just like the R&R HOF. It's a total joke because some of the members aren't close to being worthy.
The bar was certainly lowered when skeletor was voted in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a shame bc the ROH predates his reign over the cowboys. He didn’t invent it. It is for the fans not him.
Agreed. And I would also say Tex Schramm was wrong too being the sole decider of who gets in.