Thomas vs Berry vs Mays

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Mays has Oakland Raiders written all over him. He is exactly the type of over-hyped, speedy workout warrior that Al Davis drools all over. Last year proved that he still has it in him to ignore reality and listen to the tape worms eating away at his brain when he drafted Heward-Bey over Crabtree. Mays will be an Oakland Raider. Book it.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
JonJon;3252031 said:
Mays has Oakland Raiders written all over him. He is exactly the type of over-hyped, speedy workout warrior that Al Davis drools all over. Last year proved that he still has it in him to ignore reality and listen to the tape worms eating away at his brain when he drafted Heward-Bey over Crabtree. Mays will be an Oakland Raider. Book it.

Imagine the Raiders trading up to the top 3 to draft Mays. :lmao2:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3252411 said:
wouldnt doubt it..its al davis

Ya, I could just picture him going... We have to trade up, and Tom Cable going "why? what for?" Al saying "Taylor Mays, someone will take him" and Tom Cable going "Berry and Thomas have yet to be taken, Mays won't be taken" and Davis goes like "Liar, he is the best football talent i've seen since JaMarcus Russell and he calls up Washington gives them 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick for 4th pick and drafts Mays.
:laugh2:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3251233 said:
Who will make the best NFL safety?

I believe Thomas will in the longrun be better than Berry.

Love Thomas, but he could end up at CB.

Mays isnt going to be a safety longterm IMO, his inability to play in space will end up resulting in him moving to OLB.

Berry should be really good for a long time.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3251527 said:
Adrian Wilson 6'3" 230 4.54 40 time
NC State -254 Tackles 3 Interceptions

Taylor Mays 6'3" 230 4.47 40 time
USC - 274 Tackles 5 Interceptions 4-time All-American

I dont care about their 40 times, Mays is absolutely lost in space. And while he might run really fast on a track, I've yet to see one football game where I watched Mays and thought "wow, he's got great speed"

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dbair1967;3252604 said:
Love Thomas, but he could end up at CB.

Mays isnt going to be a safety longterm IMO, his inability to play in space will end up resulting in him moving to OLB.

Berry should be really good for a long time.

Earl Thomas is already being considered a CB prospect by many teams. I think your spot on there.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
dbair1967;3252610 said:
I dont care about their 40 times, Mays is absolutely lost in space. And while he might run really fast on a track, I've yet to see one football game where I watched Mays and thought "wow, he's got great speed"

Watch the Notre Dame on the fake field goal play. There is no way Mays should have caught that WR.

Also, the Cal game..he caught Jahvid Best from behind on one play and beat him to the corner on another.

I get all of the Mays hate. I really thought he was going to work on his ball coverage this year. I just don't think there is another player who brings the combination of size, speed, and toughness he does. With the right NFL coaching, I believe Mays will be an impact player.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3253760 said:
Watch the Notre Dame on the fake field goal play. There is no way Mays should have caught that WR.

Also, the Cal game..he caught Jahvid Best from behind on one play and beat him to the corner on another.

I get all of the Mays hate. I really thought he was going to work on his ball coverage this year. I just don't think there is another player who brings the combination of size, speed, and toughness he does. With the right NFL coaching, I believe Mays will be an impact player.
That wouldn't have anything to do with you being a USC fan now would it? :)

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score

He will be ok with the right team that can hide him around the LOS and allow him to tee up on people without having to worry about coverage much. It won't matter though because the Raiders will pick him.

The Realist

Reaction score

Well, there's two plays.

"With the right NFL coaching........"

So if he fails it's not his fault?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Berry is better right NOW but who is to say Thomas wont develop into the better player down the road?

We're talking about a 3 year starter vs a 2 year starter and I felt like Thomas had the much better year even though they handed over the Thorpe to Berry.

I already think Earl Thomas has shown the most range of any safety i've seen this year too.

Pass on Taylor Mays.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3251233 said:
Who will make the best NFL safety?

I believe Thomas will in the longrun be better than Berry.
Berry is a rare talent, imo.

RESIN8

Reaction score
Cover 2;3254195 said:
That wouldn't have anything to do with you being a USC fan now would it? :)

Probably no different then those people saying that Thoms will be better then Berry.

I think Mays it the safety with the most upside. I remember last year when people were down on Malaluga and he ended up being good enough to start as a rook.

If you are going to break down Mays it should be from the year before. USC defense as a whole was poor this past year. When you lose 3 studs at LB your due for a lapse.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Biggems;3251695 said:
I take Thomas over anyone else in the draft....unfortunately, he will be too high to take and too expensive to go up and get.

My hope is that the G-Men do not take him if he is still on the board at 15.
UT fans know what they like...fair enough.:D He's gone long before #27 anyway.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
RESIN8;3254913 said:
Probably no different then those people saying that Thoms will be better then Berry.

I think Mays it the safety with the most upside. I remember last year when people were down on Malaluga and he ended up being good enough to start as a rook.

If you are going to break down Mays it should be from the year before. USC defense as a whole was poor this past year. When you lose 3 studs at LB your due for a lapse.
Those people are extreme homers. Unless Thomas does turn out better than Berry then they will be visionaries :laugh2: .

I've been down on Taylor Mays for the last two years. Safeties his size just aren't good in coverage. Physically they can't handle it, plus he doesn't have the production to back it up (talking about INT's).

He may be able to stop the run well, but this is now a passing league. He may convert to a 4-3 outside linebacker like Thomas Davis did, but I'm not sure how he would handle the physicality of a linebacker spot. Safety and linebacker are two different positions.

Mays is big and fast, but that isn't enough to be effective in the NFL. IMO he lacks the instincts and the hips to play safety in the NFL, and I'm not even sure he's physical enough to play OLB, but I would say that is his best shot of succeeding.

Well all this is just an amateur scouts opinion. I thought Mario Williams would be a great pick (I was right) and I thought Reggie Bush would be a bust (Looks like I was right on that), but I also thought Charles Rogers would be the best receiver since Randy Moss. How players translate from college to the pro's can be a crap shoot.