Thomas vs Berry vs Mays

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chris in SoCal;3253760 said:
I get all of the Mays hate. I really thought he was going to work on his ball coverage this year. I just don't think there is another player who brings the combination of size, speed, and toughness he does. With the right NFL coaching, I believe Mays will be an impact player.

I think Jimmy Johnson had the right idea, he said if you didnt see guys making plays in college, they most likely werent going to make plays in the pros. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but they arnt the norm.

The league's been loaded with "look like tarzan, play like jane" types, and IMO Mays is a classic example of it.

I wouldnt spend a 1st or 2nd rd pick on Mays. If he fell further than that, I'd consider it, but wouldnt be expecting much.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Cover 2;3255255 said:
Well all this is just an amateur scouts opinion. I thought Mario Williams would be a great pick (I was right) and I thought Reggie Bush would be a bust (Looks like I was right on that), but I also thought Charles Rogers would be the best receiver since Randy Moss. How players translate from college to the pro's can be a crap shoot.
now-now
Bush should not have been picked near the top of the draft, but he is far from being a bust as an NFL player.

Rodgers...now THAT was a bust.:eek:

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3254779 said:
Good thing you're not paid to think.

Actually I am paid to think, I'm a scout for Southern Methodist and I've seen both play in person. First off Burnett is best suited at SS, not FS, and Allen shows much better range, and is arguably the best in the country in Zone coverage..so I suggest you figure out your facts before you jump to conclusions, brother.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3256784 said:
Actually I am paid to think, I'm a scout for Southern Methodist .....

Oh boy...:rolleyes:

I too am a scout. I scout for USC. Whenever our daughters are hanging out, I tell Ken Norton Jr about the latest high school phenom I've seen. He then goes on to tell me about 25 more things about the kid that I didn't know, pats me on my head, and sends me on my way.

Now that he works for Seattle I can't wait to tell him who I think the Seahawks should draft.

The Realist

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3254779 said:
Good thing you're not paid to think.

AustnIsMySaviour;3256784 said:
Actually I am paid to think, I'm a scout for Southern Methodist and I've seen both play in person. First off Burnett is best suited at SS, not FS, and Allen shows much better range, and is arguably the best in the country in Zone coverage..so I suggest you figure out your facts before you jump to conclusions, brother.

Class dismissed son.

ghst187

Reaction score
i think Thomas will be the best, i think Berry will play some CB as well as S. I think Mays is a colossal bust

CoolNClutch

Reaction score
Nate Allen is my third favorite safety prospect behind Berry and Thomas. Some Senior Bowl reports from him so far:

- I continue to be impressed by Nate Allen (USF). He holds up better in one-on-one coverage against receivers than expected of a safety, but sometimes fails to turn his head an locate the ball when he is in position to break up a pass.

- Nate Allen (S - South Florida) had an impressive day in coverage. Despite playing in man coverage on receivers, he more than held his own.

- Nate Allen a safety from South Florida was impressive in one on one drills. This is especially intersting because safeties tend to struggle in those drills. One safety that did struggle in those drills was Taylor Mays. He looked stiff and wasn't able to jam the wide recievers at the line.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]The South safeties didn't have much luck locking on receivers, either, especially in one-on-one drills. USC's Taylor Mays struggled to plant and drive coming out of his backpedal, looking like Fred Flintstone churning his feet without any resulting forward movement. Harry Coleman also looked like he had played linebacker this season at LSU, pedaling high and slow and struggling to change directions in space. USF's Nate Allen is much more fluid in coverage than Coleman or Mays, and scouts know all about his speed and range in the deep half. [/FONT]

Hoping that Mike Jenkins lobbies for him.