Thoughts about last night's win-it's ok to win ugly!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OL was terrible last night. No push in the run game and pass protection was average to poor. A few bad penalties as well.

McGovern hasn’t brought anything and is making me miss Williams out there. And Steele is playing better right tackle than Collins right now. He should be starting when he returns.

LVE can not play. At all.

Outside of Parsons, I don’t think much of our linebackers. Maybe Gifford deserves a shot? But Vander Esch isn’t close to the player he once was.

Felt bad for Zeke. He had nothing and needs rest. Dak is a gamer but his timing is off and he has happy feet thanks to the OL getting him killed.

I’d like to know why Dak refuses to run. It’s one thing to be smart and not expose yourself to unnecessary risks. It’s another to refuse to do it at all.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd rather win ugly than lose! All things considered, our guys played their hearts out, despite lots of team problems hindering them. :flagwave:

Dak is still feeling the effects of his calf injury. Resting it for the 10 days ahead should see him returning to better form for the next game.

The entire Cowboys team has been getting battered, by way of the difficult games that they've had to play in a really short period of time.

I think it's fair to say that playing on Christmas isn't doing them any favors, considering what they've been through, the last few instances.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That blindside block call was awful. But as I expected, they made up for it later. The pass they intercepted only happened because Dak got his face slapped hard as he was throwing the pass. It was pretty obvious, but no flag...so I don't feel bad about the call that went our way.

I hear Goodell ordered both those calls. He's just getting sloppy at this point. Or maybe he just likes to view the outrage for kicks.

shabazz

Reaction score
I was counting 8 saints on the line at times last night. Most of the time was 7. You can’t block all those players every down..

This happens every game to every team......yet somehow, some way, his offensive line has held sacks to under 2 per game......that pesky data and stats sho don’t want to be twisted by mental gymnastics some times.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Ugly wins against devastated teams usually signals an early entrance from the playoffs......unless the expected excuses get factored in.

The Bucs lost to bad teams last year and won the super bowl, get over yourself

shabazz

Reaction score
I hear Goodell ordered both those calls. He's just getting sloppy at this point. Or maybe he just likes to view the outrage for kicks.

Fans of 32 teams watched this game.....only 1 fan base doesn’t like his officials “oversights”.......the other 31 teams fan bases were quite pleased.

That doesn’t generate much outrage

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree overall. Beating Payton who lives to beat Dallas on the road is always a good win regardless. It at least showed toughness. Dlaw may have come back just in time. They need to fix the run game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
TP proved my point again. He's the best running back option we have. PERIOD.

shabazz

Reaction score
The Bucs lost to bad teams last year and won the super bowl, get over yourself

They lost early but gained momentum at half season and maintained it to the Lombardi

Guess which way the Cowboys are trending?........I’ll give you a clue; 3 losses in last 4 games against some crap teams and an ugly win against a saints team missing both starting QB and RB

Yup....we’re just like the last years Bucs team......you win

That was a lot of typing for me but I think I’m over myself.....thanks, Ms.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'd rather win ugly than lose! All things considered, our guys played their hearts out, despite lots of team problems hindering them. :flagwave:

Dak is still feeling the effects of his calf injury. Resting it for the 10 days ahead should see him returning to better form for the next game.

The entire Cowboys team has been getting battered, by way of the difficult games that they've had to play in a really short period of time.
Agree. Daks biggest issue was lack of practice reps and real game reps during his ankle thing. Hes still shaking off some rust. He IS slowly returning to form. I agree...next game I think he will be much much better, like he was week 1.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was practice for the WFT game because they're going to do the same thing, shut down the run and try and make Prescott move in the pocket.

It is evident to me that he's not 100% and these DC's, particularly one like Rivera, are picking apart the film to find the weaknesses.

The Saints have a good D and play well at home and that crowd was feeding them last night. Hill is not a NFL QB but take away a finger and he's less than that. He is a good and tough as nails runner and the Cowboys have struggled with that kind of player as long as I have been watching. They also don't usually do well against QB's they haven't faced before but they picked him to death in that game.

The Cowboys should be proud of those catches made on both sides of the ball last night, that was special.

Man, Michael Gallup is making me miss him already, he just comes to play his best in every game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Our oline needs 2 block better on run plays. McGovern has looked better than Williams btw...and the penalties are getting better. The Saints do have a very good defense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I agree..I don't think Dak is 100%. I think its the ankle and I bet his shoulder is still an issue, going back 2 camp. He has improved from last week though and even then he missed some wide open guys. He will clean that up.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
They lost early but gained momentum at half season and maintained it to the Lombardi

Guess which way the Cowboys are trending?........I’ll give you a clue; 3 losses in last 4 games against some crap teams and an ugly win against a saints team missing both starting QB and RB

Yup....we’re just like the last years Bucs team......you win

That was a lot of typing for me but I think I’m over myself.....thanks, Ms.

Do the playoffs start today or what

Gorgon

Reaction score
I think we need to redefine what an ugly win is. The Cowboys won by 10 points and never really were close to losing in the second half. The Saints offense was terrible and moved the ball between the 20s but STOPPED after that.

the offense needs some work and hasn’t looked right since Denver, but y’all act like we barely scraped by on a late FG or something.
Correct. The o-Line is extremely weak. Smith is holding more than ever, Zeke looks terrible---not remotely the same player from 2-3 years ago. Dak has NO pocket.

And no, I'm not defending him last night. He was as bad as I've ever seen him, but there was zero pass protection---but a lot of that goes back to no run game for play action. If Jerruh has any hope of going far this year, he would have to swing some deal for a quality lineman or two. It is clear that we miss Travis Frederick more than ever. I think at this point even Looney outplayed Biadaz (sp). LVE is just hopelessly lost. I cannot recall him making a single solo tackle. Diggs is terrific, but constantly guesses, so it's feast or famine. At least Brown wasn't the PI magnet that he was vs Raids.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
The numbers aren’t biased nor do they lie.......and that goes for the rushing production as a result of this same offensive line

Hows that rushing game been 3 of the last 4 weeks?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Correct. The o-Line is extremely weak. Smith is holding more than ever, Zeke looks terrible---not remotely the same player from 2-3 years ago. Dak has NO pocket.

And no, I'm not defending him last night. He was as bad as I've ever seen him, but there was zero pass protection---but a lot of that goes back to no run game for play action. If Jerruh has any hope of going far this year, he would have to swing some deal for a quality lineman or two. It is clear that we miss Travis Frederick more than ever. I think at this point even Looney outplayed Biadaz (sp). LVE is just hopelessly lost. I cannot recall him making a single solo tackle. Diggs is terrific, but constantly guesses, so it's feast or famine. At least Brown wasn't the PI magnet that he was vs Raids.

Dak was worse against Denver than he was last night. He has some bad plays, but some brilliant ones as well. He was OK. Not great, but not as bad as ever.

shabazz

Reaction score
Do the playoffs start today or what

If they did the Cowboys would be bounced out, but we aren’t at the beginning or the middle of the season

Did last nights performance show that they got that “bounce back” they needed?

If they played a good team last night they would have gotten plowed, but thankfully they’ve got the 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL.......hey, if you’re pleased with the Cowboys last 5 games, more power to you

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak was worse against Denver than he was last night. He has some bad plays, but some brilliant ones as well. He was OK. Not great, but not as bad as ever.

Very fair evaluation........the team was bailed out by Pollard, Micah, Lamb and not having to face the Saints starting RB and QB