CFZ Thoughts about the Colts!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It's all about stopping their run and not beating ourselves.
Stopping the run is about two things, one controlling down and distance.consistantly giving up, 4,5 yards on first down puts defense on it's heels. Because probability of running or passing on 2nd down is 50/50 (sort of). Same as 3rd down and short yardage, such as 3rd and 1, 2 vs 3rd and 5 or longer.

That goes for our offense and their offense (stopping them).

The key is for our offense not to abandon the run when it struggles a bit. And secondly being successful in running on first and second downs. If you get average of 2 yards per run on first downs then your offense becomes predictable and you tend to become pass happy.

Successful run game allows us to use play action and that's where we have been quite successful..

Lastly, Moore has to mix it up a bit on first downs...against the giants he ran the ball 10 straight times at one point. A 60/40 run pass mix keeps the defense guessing and help the offense

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
hate that its at 730pm ughh wish they would have changed it to 330..no Sunday football last week now wait until 730 Sunday is brutal.
For us, yes. But for the team it's another mini-bye.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
My thoughts. By far we are the better team, we are at home and healthy. We should dominate every phase of the game. Cooper Rush should make his appearance midway way through the fourth quarter.

Cowboys 48 - ponies 16

75boyz

Reaction score
We have more talent, we are at home, Colts are playing on a short week, Colts have an interim HC, we are a pretty healthy team right now. There are absolutely no excuses for losing this game. If Dallas loses this game it tells me they aren't ready for the playoffs and what happens once they get there. When you are jockeying for playoff position you can't lose to teams that you should beat.

Nice post. Totally agree.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Get a 2 score lead, and maintain it. Make them one dimension with Ryan passing. Defense should get a lot of sacks.

They had 2 decent games in run defense overall. Though cook averaged 6.5, but I think a lot of that was when the game was pretty much in hand.
Did a great job holding Barkley's numbers down.
Need to keep that up with holding Taylor also.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Haven't seen much of the AFC South Teams, here is what I've heard about the Colts:

Offense

-Clearly the best unit is their Defense. Have 2 players to worry about along the DL: Buckner who we all remember with the 49ers and Ngakoue. Both players can give the Cowboys troubles. Their all pro linebacker Leonard is out for the season.

-They like to use overload blitzes, they will try to confuse our Tackles which man they have in protection.

-Stephon Gilmore like Patrick Peterson a few weeks ago, isn't the same player, the Cowboys can have success going after him. They also will be starting a backup corner on the other side, just like Minnesota needed to do.

Defense

-Jonathan Taylor can potentially be a game wrecker for the Cowboy Defense. However, their OL has struggled throughout the season in both the run and the pass. Still another legitimate challenge for our run defense.

-Colts receivers jump out at you with their size and length. Pittman, Pierce, Woods are huge targets. Pittman is the best out of the group, where Diggs should matchup well against. Pierce is the one who can beat you down the field.

-Due to inability to protect, the Colts passing attack is underneath without much of a deep, passing game. Ryan isn't very mobile and takes a ton of sacks.

-Pretty much the same strategy as last week, take away the run, win the game. I bet the Colts will have a similar game plan as the Giants, try to have Ryan do a lot of bootlegs and quick passes to stay away from the Cowboys pass rush. They will try to loosen up the defense with an early shot down the field. Force them to score points.

Special Teams

-Nothing of note to discuss.
Dolts?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Stopping the run is about two things, one controlling down and distance.consistantly giving up, 4,5 yards on first down puts defense on it's heels. Because probability of running or passing on 2nd down is 50/50 (sort of). Same as 3rd down and short yardage, such as 3rd and 1, 2 vs 3rd and 5 or longer.

That goes for our offense and their offense (stopping them).

The key is for our offense not to abandon the run when it struggles a bit. And secondly being successful in running on first and second downs. If you get average of 2 yards per run on first downs then your offense becomes predictable and you tend to become pass happy.

Successful run game allows us to use play action and that's where we have been quite successful..

Lastly, Moore has to mix it up a bit on first downs...against the giants he ran the ball 10 straight times at one point. A 60/40 run pass mix keeps the defense guessing and help the offense
Yes, a quality run game opens up an entire offense, that is why it's always the #1 goal to be able to run and defend it.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
We have more talent, we are at home, Colts are playing on a short week, Colts have an interim HC, we are a pretty healthy team right now. There are absolutely no excuses for losing this game. If Dallas loses this game it tells me they aren't ready for the playoffs and what happens once they get there. When you are jockeying for playoff position you can't lose to teams that you should beat.

Cowboys 17
Colts 16

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
That's the same score that Philthy won by. Except the game was in Indy. The game were Sissyrianni looked like a clown talking smack with the fans after Philthy won.

I wish eggles lose in the 1st game when they play in the playoffs , would be interesting PC with Sisiarinni

CWR

Reaction score
I hate this type of game. We have everything to lose and are simply expected to win.

None of us will be able to puff our chest out Monday morning after this victory.

It is good though to have games like these because the NFL is such a tight league, and a small loss of focus can be too costly to overcome even against an inferior opponent. This is a good test in that area.

Stay focused and treat this game like any other one, and we should win going away.

CWR

Reaction score
I wish eggles lose in the 1st game when they play in the playoffs , would be interesting PC with Sisiarinni

They are going to take a double digit L this week, so that should be fun for now.