CFZ Thoughts about the Vikings!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Vikings are probably the hottest team in the league coming off of an improbable win in Buffalo. A team that doesn't beat themselves and has won many close football games.

Offense

-Their Defensive scheme resembles former Bronco HC, Vangio. Yes, this was the scheme that gave the Cowboy Offense fits last season. Deep shells, take away all the big passing plays. The way to beat it, is take what is giving underneath and have success running the football. Against the Eagles they were being gashed on the ground and refused to bring extra men into the box.

-Their secondary is very beatable. Peterson isn't the same player he once was and they are starting a rookie on the other side.

-Have 2 legitimate pass rushers, where Smith leads the league in total pressures. This allows them to generate pressure without the need of the blitz.

Defense

-Their offense is loaded with talent across the board, 2 quality backs, 2 excellent receivers, one perhaps the best in the league and a legitimate receiving TE. Last time they faced the Vikings, they held Jefferson to 2 catches.

-Their new HC comes from the Rams, expect to see a lot of eye candy with a lot of motion, boot legs, etc.

-Darrishaw, their LT and best lineman is questionable to play. This could be a huge area to exploit. Last time these teams faced, the Vikings became a short passing team cause they could protect Cousins long enough.

-Once again, the Cowboy Defense is going to face one of the better rushing attacks in this league. Cook is elite, Mattison isn't that far behind. This will be an excellent test. Will the Defense respond?

-Cousins has flashes of elite play and other times makes rookie mistakes with bad interceptions. When he is forced to move off a spot, his tends to struggle.

Special Teams

-Kind of like the Packers, the Cowboys should have the advantage here.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good post.........wonder if Diggs covers Jefferson the entire game. No way in hell we want Brown on him alone.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think we go back to the formula. And we will see our Defense tighten up. We were playing to well a few games ago to play this bad now. I don’t think they have figured out Defense out.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Need 30+ combined rushes from the Dallas offense. Dropping back 35-40 times allowing Smith and Hunter opportunities to tee off is asking for disaster. Their secondary is weak but as you mentioned they play a lot of zone looks to protect deep.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Should be interesting. Minn is 6th in the NFL in passing attempt while being 26th in rushing attempts so over the course of 9 games it is pretty clear that Minn is a heavy passing team. I agree Cooks is a very good back but does Minn change who they have been over the course of the season to become a run 1st team?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Do your job! Take care of your assignment and follow your keys. Do not try to be a splash playmaker on every down.

foofighters

Reaction score
The Vikings are probably the hottest team in the league coming off of an improbable win in Buffalo. A team that doesn't beat themselves and has won many close football games.

Offense

-Their Defensive scheme resembles former Bronco HC, Vangio. Yes, this was the scheme that gave the Cowboy Offense fits last season. Deep shells, take away all the big passing plays. The way to beat it, is take what is giving underneath and have success running the football. Against the Eagles they were being gashed on the ground and refused to bring extra men into the box.

-Their secondary is very beatable. Peterson isn't the same player he once was and they are starting a rookie on the other side.

-Have 2 legitimate pass rushers, where Smith leads the league in total pressures. This allows them to generate pressure without the need of the blitz.

Defense

-Their offense is loaded with talent across the board, 2 quality backs, 2 excellent receivers, one perhaps the best in the league and a legitimate receiving TE. Last time they faced the Vikings, they held Jefferson to 2 catches.

-Their new HC comes from the Rams, expect to see a lot of eye candy with a lot of motion, boot legs, etc.

-Darrishaw, their LT and best lineman is questionable to play. This could be a huge area to exploit. Last time these teams faced, the Vikings became a short passing team cause they could protect Cousins long enough.

-Once again, the Cowboy Defense is going to face one of the better rushing attacks in this league. Cook is elite, Mattison isn't that far behind. This will be an excellent test. Will the Defense respond?

-Cousins has flashes of elite play and other times makes rookie mistakes with bad interceptions. When he is forced to move off a spot, his tends to struggle.

Special Teams

-Kind of like the Packers, the Cowboys should have the advantage here.
I'll be there but unfortunately, I don't see us winning that game. Their running game scares me and we've not proven that we can stop the run. We do not have a NFL quality OC and I fear that offensively, we are going to out managed during the game. It'll still be fun but I don't know how we win.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Should be interesting. Minn is 6th in the NFL in passing attempt while being 26th in rushing attempts so over the course of 9 games it is pretty clear that Minn is a heavy passing team. I agree Cooks is a very good back but does Minn change who they have been over the course of the season to become a run 1st team?

Watch, just watch them come out running the ball like crazy........lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
The only way we win, like most other games, is if we run the ball.

It's really that simple.

Moore needs to call them and Dak needs to not change them.
I not sure which happens. But if Dak is changing them to pass plays then he better be on this weekend. And if we don’t run 30 times I will be mad win or lose.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'll be there but unfortunately, I don't see us winning that game. Their running game scares me and we've not proven that we can stop the run. We do not have a NFL quality OC and I fear that offensively, we are going to out managed during the game. It'll still be fun but I don't know how we win.
This is why last weeks game was so important. That’s that one game that slips through every year. Will it cost us the playoffs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I not sure which happens. But if Dak is changing them to pass plays then he better be on this weekend. And if we don’t run 30 times I will be mad win or lose.

I feel like most of the time when Dak is yelling kill we are switching to run.

MN is bad against the run and awful against the pass. Hoping for a balanced attack without penalties and we should be able to move the ball easily.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I feel like most of the time when Dak is yelling kill we are switching to run.

MN is bad against the run and awful against the pass. Hoping for a balanced attack without penalties and we should be able to move the ball easily.

Fully agree Cowboys must stay balanced in their attack.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
27-21 cowboys

Run defense won’t get fixed in one week but I bet it’s a heck of a lot better.