CFZ Thoughts about yesterday's tough road loss!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-Thought DLaw was the best defensive player for the team this week.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.

shabazz

Reaction score
I wish 8-8 was still possible so there’d be a better chance of getting a run stopper in the draft.

it’s just not happening this year. Too many deficiencies and too little remedies.

We’ll get ‘em next year…..

John813

Reaction score
The McGovern call was terrible.

There was no obvious hold. For the refs letting the players play/allowing contact on receivers that was a weak call.

For this team having a bye week to prepare, they really **** the bed. Almost pulled it off after a bad first half but once again allowed Rodgers to pull out a victory.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Good write up but going for it on 4th down was the correct call

Should have ran the ball on 3rd down since we only needed 4, and knew we were in 4 down territory. Yeah. Prescott and the offense played mediocre and the defense looked a step slow. Still, didn't like reverting back to an aerial show when we were running the ball good. Was that on Moore or Dak making the call at the line?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First of all, let's take all the emotion out if it, season isn't over after 1 loss. That post yesterday has aged well where someone posted that we are guaranteed to play the Bucs in the opening round of the playoffs. This is why we play the games!

Offense

-Appeared we got nothing out of our passing offense from anyone other then Lamb/Shultz. Brown, Gallup cannot continue to be no shows. Understand both are coming back from injuries, but need to give more to the team.

-Both first half interceptions appeared to be on the receiver, but that doesn't excuse Dak from making those decisions. The first one, Dak needs to know the situation, they have 3 points in the bag, no need to take such a risk. This interception turned around the game and led to GB's first TD.

-Cee Dee Lamb's play drive you crazy, looks so good at times, then has a bad drop or runs a poor route that leads to an interception. 2 straight weeks this has happens, where he failed to flattened out his route.

-Thought the McGovern call was questionable at best. Really put them in a tough situation.

-Going for it on 4th and 4 was head scratching, but one thing I did notice was Maher's kickoffs coming short all game. Think he had just 2 returned all season long. This could of been the reason why they decided to go for it.

Defense

-Our run defense is at red alert. There was a point in the game where Rodgers just thrown 10 passes into the 3rd quarter with a tie score. Once teams can run the football, play action becomes effective.

-What is disappointing, GB struggled all season long with deep shots, both Brown/Bland gave up big plays and Joseph almost did too. The back breaker was the one Bland gave up on 4th down that could of sealed the game. Watson broke out and had 3 td's and should of had 4.

-Didn't like the idea of Parsons playing full time LB. No issue having him play some off the ball in obvious run downs, but he proved his best position is at DE.

-This defensive unit has been overrated by several on this board and in the media, you cannot give up a 14 point lead in the 4th qtr if you are an elite defense, you cannot allow a struggling offense to take it down the field and score the winning FG. Keep in mind this team scored 9 points against the Lions last week who have the worst defense in the league, they gave up 31 points yesterday.

Special Teams

-Thought the Cowboys had a big advantage here, they did get a fumble recovery, but that's about it.
the interceptions were on the recievers....we complain why Dak doesn't throw before a WR makes a cut, but when he does and WR doesn't make the cut, its Dak's fault.

CD is a #2 WR at best. right now we have two #2s and a#4 WR on the team as top 3. we miss cooper badly.

why does McCarthy keep insisting on going for it at the wrong times. in over time, just kick a field goal....put the pressure on packers instead of your defense.

run defense sucks. two weeks in a row that we gave up 200+ yards rushing.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Agree 100% . I think Bashum replaced Parsons at defensive end then they decided to not play Clark. They also limited Sam for some reason. Quinn was bad this game with his decisions.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Big picture I think the defense crapped the bed. You can’t give up a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. The run defense is below average and GB gave us what we’re going to see moving forward.

I’m relation you Parsons, he has to play LBr to a certain extent bc he’s the best run playing LBr on the roster. He gets blown off the ball against the run playing DE so that’s only going to make things worse.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Big picture I think the defense crapped the bed. You can’t give up a 14 point lead in the 4th quarter. The run defense is below average and GB gave us what we’re going to see moving forward.

I’m relation you Parsons, he has to play LBr to a certain extent bc he’s the best run playing LBr on the roster. He gets blown off the ball against the run playing DE so that’s only going to make things worse.
I agree, cannot be a full time DE, but he played too many snaps off the ball yesterday.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
the interceptions were on the recievers....we complain why Dak doesn't throw before a WR makes a cut, but when he does and WR doesn't make the cut, its Dak's fault.

CD is a #2 WR at best. right now we have two #2s and a#4 WR on the team as top 3. we miss cooper badly.

why does McCarthy keep insisting on going for it at the wrong times. in over time, just kick a field goal....put the pressure on packers instead of your defense.

run defense sucks. two weeks in a row that we gave up 200+ yards rushing.
Didn't you see all those kickoffs coming up short, that hasn't happened all season long. Really believe that was apart of decision, along with not trusting his defense. Think MM wanted to score a TD or drain the clock so GB didn't have enough time. Hindsight is 20/20, but think either decision probably would of had the same outcome.

quickccc

Reaction score

Offense

1 INT – obvious mishap between Schultz and Lamb, both literally bumping into each other in the end zone.
Bad wrong routes were a big problem last ..and alas this year too.

2nd INT – did Lamb flatten out his route where he ended behind the safety .. instead of in front of the safety ?
When you start having problems like that, coaches may water down the offense and making it more simplified. Taking out option routes. It’s a conservative move
That will also make it more easier for the defense to defend as well.

quickccc

Reaction score
Defense

- Run defense seems like a combination of things,... lack of physicality..., lack of discipline,... lack of player personnel, ...questionable run scheme/gap integrity.
Monday overreaction on my part too, ...but I’ve never liked the jumbling of DL on a down by down basis.
The ends/edge guys cannot contain their ground. Some say the interior is ok, but ...

- I’m still seeing DTs getting wiped out of run plays, are we over-pursuing lanes ? from Armstrong, Gallimore, Watkins, Osa, Bohanna, etc.
And I’ve never liked LVE as a run defender, Barr hasn’t helped anyway, they simply do not like the inactive Cox. And they’re gradually working in rookie Clarke.

- So Parsons now as an off ball LB. To which he was mediocre, washed in traffic, look lost maybe because he has to get re-programmed into off ball play.
We won’t be able to immediate fix the big problem during the season. But it was a problem last year (ala Niners playoff game)

quickccc

Reaction score
- I do not like guys like Pollard, continue calling out NFL officials. It’s more than a moment of emotions. Its’ a sign of weakness and non-accountability, needing to turn to officials for win-help.
NFL officiating has affected the entire NFL, ..not just Cowboys.

But Cowboys have so many issues that threatens our ability to win, that players coward towards ref help, imo.

It was a illegal contact mugging by Packers CB on Lamb, But plays refs missed, ..on both sides.
Steele did flinch,.but.no call.... D.Wilson again hit another GB player out of bounds for the 2nd time.. but yet no call.

75boyz

Reaction score
Good summary points as you always do a great job with these.
It is hard to ignore the patterns of failed past Cowboys teams at several positions doing the same things with this team.
History "usually" repeats itself unless there is some widespread change.

I don't think I see the change in this team after the defense **** the bed and the QB did as well yesterday.

I will gladly accept my crow medium well to get past thinking this is just another one and done ceiling for this team.

It's just hard for me to see a better outcome.

quickccc

Reaction score
Defense

Special Teams

- I thought rookie Sam Williams is really growing and showing up with every game as a rusher. He's starting to remind me of Khali Mack in his Bears days.
How many sacks does he have in past 3 games in limited snaps ?

- But b-cuz GB ran so well, Rodgers never had to play hurry up pass happy, even down 14 points. Mixed play-action for big bombs for TDs/big plays.

- A team that struggled so mightily with the likes of Detroit Lions. Yet we had a Terrible night from our CBs, Bland, Brown and Joseph. Was J. Lewis missed ?

- i don't think we can have Parsons bouncing from edge to off ball LB in an instant, and expect him not to miss a beat.
i like the idea of finding better ways to preserve him, but the injuries, and the lack of LB depth may have forced that off ball action.

- Special teams was affected by the field conditions. We did forced a key fumble on PRs.(per Luke Gifford) Also Gifford recovered a fumble by TE Pendershot (who keeps compiling penalties
on an every game basis)
I thought Turpin was undecisive with the end zone bounce but he handle it by backing into end zone, also thought he had difficulty gaining foot traction,
and what is up with all these SP penalties ?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Great write up!
Thanks for posting

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I have zero issue going for it on 4th down. The play before is what made me mad. If you're going to go for it on 4th down, then RUN the ball on 3rd & 4. The running backs were averaging 5.67 yards per carry and only got 27 carries compared to Dak's 48 pass attempts. Dak is not an elite QB who is going to win you games. Meanwhile the Packers running backs got 37 carries compared to Rodger's 20 pass attempts...and Rodgers did way more with his passes. That's just inexcusable play calling by Moore.

The defense obviously sucked too. 400+ yards rushing and 60 points the past 2 games. Yeah, they're exposed.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Still want Quinn as head coach? Nothing has changed for Quinn since he a 25 point Super Bowl lead. I’m tired of these coached that play guys just because. We got gouged in the run game as always…

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Sometimes the other team is better than yours …

back to the drawing board….

regroup and try again…